So I just re-read all the God threads in the debate section

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Styx, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Styx That's me inside your head.

Right? Internet crusaders being all feisty: Patsy Stone abhorring everything about theism, Dalk's cockiness, me being an asshole, Dregora randomly telling people to shut up, Repliku's long-ass replies, Rainbow~Monkey being a Jesus camp product, brief appearances of KHI semi-trolls, CtR trying to be the voice of reason, none other than spdude unexpectedly owning atheists in a late aftermath... It was a fucking battlefield out there.

Those were the days... Anyone remember those?

2. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Give and take a few people, of course.

Did they all prove Godwin's Law at some point?

3. Jube Formerly Chuck's

MSN was bad enough, I didn't need to hear even MORE 12 year olds spouting pseudo intellectual junk that they learned on Wikipedia

4. Styx That's me inside your head.

I know I did once.

It wasn't like that back then. Hardly anyone bothered to back up the junk they spouted. I think assuming they used something learned on Wikipedia would be giving them too much credit.

5. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

IM debates and thread debates have plenty enough differences, especially group IMs, they're way more defensive.

I've had some lovely discussions, and it's generally easy to counter points put forward by people who don't know what they're talking about, so you're discouraged from talking out of your arse if you don't know the point you're putting across.

6. The Fuk? Dead

Really takes me back.

7. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I would have backed stuff up. But I think 12 years of a Catholic Education kind of did that for me. That and I was too busy having ragefits in iPraise's direction.

Still good times though.

8. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Ugh WHY did you have to remind me Patsy Stone existed

9. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

And on the first day they all said "Listen to Jube, for he is a wise old black man who actually knows his shit"

10. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Do I have to ask who 'Patsy Stone' is?

edit: A minute of research yielded me this. Oh wow, those were the days.

11. Styx That's me inside your head.

Which is exactly why I and several others belittled people who did, but nobody saw the humanitarian motives behind us branding people idiots and we all got mod-spanked (i.e. verbally warned) for it.
    Because he was awesome! Yes, he was as fanatical as the people he hated and yes, he would eventually lose his patience and start raging, but man did he ever go to the bone. Case in point:
    Classic. Note that the r-word wasn't censored at the time, unlike today. Let that sink in for a minute...
    You'd have fit in well. Pika did anyway. I forgot to mention him in the opening post (for shame, Styx), but he kicked ass too. He wanted to remove "IN GOD WE TRUST" from the American currency and he isn't even American! Even I thought that was nit-picking.

12. Labrys King's Apprentice

Wow I sorta wished I was here in the good days, and I wonder what happened that made these members stop coming. Although I wouldn't last long in the old days due to my lack of intelligence and reason.

13. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

...Welp I have lost all respect for you

gj Styx we've come a long way

14. Patman Bof

Those threads were already dying out when I joined , but they sparked my interest for religious debates . It was the first time I ever heard about creationism and it looked ****ing hilarious. I mostly remember (and miss) Pika (who btw suspected me to really be Patsy Stone, but nope, obviously).

I also reread a few of those threads a while back, my posts had so much nonsense I had to fight the urge to edit them all. XD

15. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

For all the 'intelligence' people showed like peacock's tails, they sure liked to complain about people with differing knowledge bases from them, throwing insults against people and somehow rationalising and then justifying themselves being arses towards other in some distorted bid to show off that they are somehow more intelligent than the rest of the people on the site. Patsy Stone, case in point, for all the facts he had he was blinded by his hate and his arguments were little better than those he claimed were ******ed in some nature.
    I think it's safe to say belittling is not an effective means of teaching anyone, it is indeed the opposite, it creates resistance. Countering a person's point is better than claiming they know nothing, credibility wise. Showing is better than telling, teaching wise. Alas, the internet does shout too much for that to happen often.

16. Styx That's me inside your head.

Styx doesn't hate the same members I do, baaaaaaaaaaaw! XD

His arguments were fine as long as he could keep his cool. What really separated him from the great debaters in that thread in my opinion (Cyanide, WhiteRook, and a few others) was that he couldn't accept or didn't care when he hit a brick wall that simply wouldn't budge. Some people aren't gonna change their ways no matter how much sense you make. It's a lesson I think I learned in those very threads, which is already quite late in life, and a lesson Patsy refused to learn whatsoever.

The two aren't mutually exclusive and I consider myself to be the living, breathing example of how the mixture is a quick and successful way of turning a noob with poor excuses for opinions into a debater with a logical and critical way of thinking. I had my naivety whipped out of me and I'm thankful for it. Barbs are a good way to make something stick; velvetly cushioned arguments or even dry facts too often go in one ear and out the other.

17. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Did...

Did you just use ecks dee and baw while strawmanning me?

18. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

I thought Repliku made long replies to everything?

19. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

20. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

I saw this post and had no doubt that it would be a link to my profile.