Birth by Sleep So which protagonist had it the worst off?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by ReverofEnola, Jan 24, 2013.

?

Worst ending for which character?

1. Aqua

64.3%
  2. Terra

58.9%
  3. Ventus

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CrownMoksha Decimo

I say Aqua. She had to go through her friends suffering and there wasn't much that she could do to prevent it.

2. Hayabusa Venomous

Terra, easily. He killed his own father-figure in a fit of confusion and anger, he lost his body to Xehanort, and he's been stuck in the Keyblade Graveyard for more 10 years, unable to do anything but stay there.

3. Sp3lling3rr0rs Merlin's Housekeeper

I agree but what about Ven? He's kind of stuck in a body for about ten years, laying dormant. But then again, being trapped in a keyblade graveyard and being trapped in the door to darkness? That just sucks.

Aqua definitely got the worst of it, after all, she was the one to become a keyblade wielder before the guys only to be sent on a wild goose chase, amgounst other things. I feel for Aqua the most, I have to day.

I would have not wanted to be Terra when that happened but I think it was unfair that his mind was stuck in the graveyard for more than 10 years while his body was taken over by Master Xehanort. Though, I think Terra had to learn his lesson the hard way, at least he wasn't Aqua.

4. Alan Smithee Destiny Islands Resident

At least Ven's heart has Sora and Terra has Eraqus's heart.

P.S.: Who else thinks Aqua may end up becoming a pro-light, anti-darkness Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds?

5. MandyXRiku4ever Twilight Town Denizen

Let me see if I got this correct because I still haven't played BBS: Ven, the cheerful one, ends up sleeping for ten years. Terra, the stoic one, nearly kills his father/master and ends being taken over by Master Xenhorant but fights himself against his suit that still has his will. Plus, doesn't Terra sumbit to the darkness until he realizes it's too late. Aqua, the one who did everything right, goes after Terra and Ven right after she becomes a Keyblade master only to come back home with a sleeping Ven that her home and only father figure is killed, thanks to the darkness. She then tries to save the both of them from their mistakes and mishaps. While trying to create some good, she makes Castle Oblivion for Ven. However, she ends up in the RoD for about 11 years. Near the 11 years she meets with the Real Ansem, to have a conversation and she gets to see the 2 out of 3 hereos going back into the RoL (Realm of light) thanks to the letter from the girl (Kairi) she saved.

Don't know if I got everything correct but I'd have to say Aqua, with Terra and Ven in second place. Aqua always believed in her friends and she always was cleaning up their messes. It's like doing everything right, having your dreams accomplished for a second only for your friends to ruin it, causing you to go and chase after them. Along the way you give charms to a little girl whose heart is filled with light and bless the keyblade to a boy whose heart is also filled with light. Other than that, I feel bad for Aqua. It's like she's trying to do everything she can, even with help she's still doing most of it. Though, imagine being tricked by your 'mentor' who killed your father and sleeping for 11 years, only revealing your memories to the boy who didn't past the test.

PS: Aqua was anti-darkness, but does she realize that light and darkness need to coexist?

6. Alan Smithee Destiny Islands Resident

The Fairy Godmother did tell her so, but her own experiences with darkness ultimately caused her to go, "What else is darkness but hate and rage?"

It's like telling someone who lost their whole family to cancer or something that health and disease need to coexist.

7. Sp3lling3rr0rs Merlin's Housekeeper

I've always thought of yin and yang--the two are in perfect balance. But that's just me. However, I think Aqua always associated darkness as something bad. She never thought darkness and light could go hand in. She always thought of darkness as bad, because of experience. I still feel bad for her. She was surrounded by darkness, fighting with the heartless, and her inner demons.

Technically health and diseases do go hand in hand. Even with good health you can still get diseases.

8. Allen Tor Destiny Islands Resident

Aqua definitely didn't do everything right. Her attitude from the start was pretty much "Well Terra's being a screw-up, guess I have to clean up after him." And that's more-or-less how she treated him every time she saw him after he left; heck, when Terra was ready to give up on the darkness and go back to doing the things the way Eraqus taught them she basically told him he was hopeless. She definitely thought she was doing everything right though, which is sort-of the major issue in her story.

9. Explode Who?!

Functionally that's correct, but that definitely wasn't her attitude. That suggests she thinks she's superior to him, rather than being legitimately concerned for him. Aqua confronted him a couple times because in spite of his explanations, she wasn't actually convinced Terra was on the mend (for good reason). I can't imagine how putting it any gentler would have produced better results.

You're taking Terra at his word that he wouldn't go astray anymore, which isn't what you're supposed to do. Nothing happened between killing his master and flying to the Keyblade Graveyard that transformed him into a stable human being. "I went astray, but no more". Is Aqua's response supposed to be "Okay, I believe you"? After learning that he, just moments ago, helped kill their father figure? Aqua saying "You'll go astray again" wasn't her actually saying he's a lost cause. It was an attempt to get him to stop lying to himself, and thinking he can handle it alone. As evidenced by the next scene, he clearly could not.

I wouldn't suggest Aqua did everything perfectly, considering she obviously didn't tell Terra exactly what he needed to hear. Or do exactly what she should have, since saving Terra unfortunately led to a whole lot of bad stuff. But without putting unrealistic expectations on what a single person can know about how a chain of events will play out, yeah, she did just about everything right.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  10. Jaxter01

Ventus is safe enough. Aqua strives on as herself. But Terra...

11. Allen Tor Destiny Islands Resident

Okay, so I hadn't ever considered that angle and re-watching the scene just now my interpretation of Aqua's "You'll go astray again." and yours both seem equally likely to be true, so I'll give you that. As much as Terra was likely to give in to his darkness again though, don't you think "Okay, I'll help you get through this," or "You can't do it alone you know?," would have been a better response than "No, you can't do that," and Terra was definitely willing to try at least, due to his feelings of guilt over Eraqus' death. He may have even listened to one of the previous responses. Also I forgot she learned about Eraqus dying right before that confrontation, so it makes sense she'd be a little less forgiving right then.

(Side note: I'm totally on Terra's side as far as Eraqus' death goes, all Terra did was fight to protect his friend and then Xehanort stabbed Eraqus in the back while Eraqus was weak from the fight.)

If she didn't think she was superior to him she sure acted like she thought she was. Putting it gentler might not have made Terra get as defensive as he did, or might not have made him feel like she was turning against him, and if Terra felt like he had more friends he could turn to it wouldn't have been so easy for Xehanort to manipulate him.

12. Explode Who?!

What I really like about Aqua is that while she's shown to have a lot of compassion for her friends, she lets them know when she's serious. Through the whole story, from the beginning ("He's not as weak as you think") to the end ("Terra will prove to you he's stronger"), she always vouched for him. So obviously Aqua doesn't think he's hopelessly lost. But in the Radiant Garden scene, she wanted to hear it directly from him. It's a lot more powerful when a friend challenges you on something, rather than prodding "are you sure you're okay?". It's a lot easier to shrug that off. Even when she was being confrontational, she wasn't rude or disrespectful, and when Terra got mad, she backs off a little, but it doesn't help. Maybe there was something she could have said to get through to him, but that's easy to think about in hindsight.

And it's important to remember that at the Keyblade Graveyard, they didn't have much time to talk. Ven shows up in the middle of their conversation, and he's got his own issues to deal with, and things spiral out of control from there. It's reasonable to assume that had things not gone so badly, Aqua wouldn't have just abandoned Terra. It's much more in her nature to try to help.

I'd also like to note that I don't blame Terra for Eraqus' death. Eraqus was out of line, which he himself admitted, and Xehanort dealt the final blow (or at least that seems to be the consensus: it doesn't explicitly show it). But Terra did still lose control, similar to the fight with Braig.