Support Sony Vegas video issues

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Iskandar, May 22, 2014.

1. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Okay, so before I fully decide to get Sony Vegas, I've wanted to ask this question for a while, but I keep forgetting:

When I start Sony Vegas, and this is just a trail run so I could get a feel for it, whenever I try to put in a few videos, a lot of times a pop-up will show saying it can't convert the file or something? And this is with a lot of videos I have, including Kingdom Hearts videos downloaded from here. I don't know if it's because of the file type, though I don't see why it wouldn't be able to use Mp4, or AVI, or if it's because its defaults as a zune video or DivX, or whatever it saves itself as. And I'd like this solved fairly quickly, because if I'm going to buy it, it has to be by the end of the month, since i have a coupon that expires by then, and I only have so much money.

2. cstar stay away from my waifu

I cannot help with .MP4s, as this is a problem I am still trying to solve... but I can help with .AVIs.

If you already have DivX(if you don't, tell me and I'll help with this too), download this file. After everything is installed, select the file you want by clicking the folder button and in the first box put "xvid" and in the second box put "divx". I don't know a full explanation for why this works, I've been doing this for years after a friend showed me how to do it, but it works.

If my instructions really weren't clear, there is a tutorial on youtube that uses this exact same method. Sorry if it seems tedious that you have to do with it with every. single. avi. but I feel it is worth it in the end.

3. Iskandar King of Conquerors

So would this work with only the avi. files, or could I do it with the mp4 files as well?

Edit: I've been looking up what I could do to fix this issue, and I was wondering if eithero f these solutions would work and if anyone has tried it?
    http://www.techisky.com/how-to/sony-vegas-wont-import-mp4.html

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  4. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

In my experience, Vegas is really finnicky with .avis. Something about standard video codecs that makes them not get along. Google usually provides an answer. Can't help ya with mp4s though, never had a problem with that.

5. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Okay, so I'm trying this method right now, and I'm not sure it's working. I did the same thing the video did: I clicked the video file, put xvid in the first box, divx in the second, and when I click apply it says that the video has been sent, but for some reason it still doesn't work. Did I miss a step or something?

6. cstar stay away from my waifu

Do you have DIVX player?

7. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Yeah, I've had it for a good while, though I don't use specifically nowadays. Could it just be that I don't have the latest version and it won't work?

8. cstar stay away from my waifu

Which Sony Vegas are you currently using actually. this is a more important question...

9. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Sony Vegas 13. Why, do you think it's too new for this to work on it?

Edit: Well, I couldn't get that method to work, but I just looked for another program to convert AVI to MP4, and I actually found a decent one. It doesn't happen at the snap of a finger like avic, but it does let me choose as many videos as I need, so right now I'm converting all the avi Final Fantasy videos I have.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  10. cstar stay away from my waifu

It's just that the trick is not known to work with the newer versions (11 up) so I am assuming that is what is happening with you. I'm sorry that we couldn't find a method that worked that went around converting.

11. Iskandar King of Conquerors

It's fine, I didn't think my luck would hold out anyways. Just getting the Sony Vegas was tricky, and even with the trail versions I had issues, but I just don't get why. Still, even taking the time to convert is better than something that won't use a specific video at all. It'll take a bit more time, but in the end it'll work. And now with this maybe at some point I can get back to making videos, especially with the fun effects.
    Although that brings up the question, are there some effects that I'd have to get separately from a third-party company? Or are a majority of them already on the program?

12. Jin うごかないで

Sony vegas is open to 3rd party effects & transitions some noteable effects would be the newblue FX packages they have some pretty cool ones that I have used for a number of years now on my AMV's.

They have things such as motions blend and effects which are basically zoom & blur effects and transitions, light blends which are transitions and many more

but for the most part everyone works with just the basic effects hell, loosecontroi has some tutorials for certain effects that he uses to make his videos it all depends on your style of editing and what you're working on I guess but to answer the question bluntly; all the effects you would need are already on sony vegas