Kingdom Hearts II SoraxRiku? Yes or no.

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by Kingdom Glory, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingdom Glory Banned

Thank you for pointing the bolded out.

2. Daydreamer

Yeah, I don't see Riku wanting to be with Sora. Or Kairi in that matter.

Also Kairi loves Sora cause she was able to go "inside" him. Cause Sora was the person she cared for most.

3. HOSPITAL STAT! i knock tits

She was not bashing Kairi, she was simply stating the fact that Kairi didn't have so much to any real character developpment during the game. Compaired to Sora and Riku, especially.

She's only mentioned and shown every once and then. But in terms of character/personality, she never actually had a real fundamental part to the Kingdom Hearts story.

In more clear terms, Kairi is not as rich in personality compaired to Sora and Riku. Sora and Riku (along with their friendship) were a whole lot more developped in the games, whereas Kairi and Sora's little crush on her was simply just mentioned/hinted.

And for the second part, Zandyne said based on personalities, not based on who you think Sora prefers. This is where the whole "Kairi had no development!" comes into place. For some, it's a whole lot more interesting to exploit/prefer an already developped platonic relationship which has some interesting background, other than a little teenage crush which is only heavily hinted, and not developped (referring to Sora/Kairi). This of course isn't to say the whole world will prefer Sora/Riku just because they have more background - others will find more interest in a relationship that isn't developped and will forge into developping it themselves. (I'm talking about fanfiction here)

You're the one who labelled this thread a 'debate' lol. And in debates, you construct your arguments.

Like she did right here. You simply got what you asked for.

...What. I don't see how the hell any of that's supposed to counter what Zandyne just said.

Quoted for awesome truth.

Zandyne makes a point about the gender business. If Riku was a girl, we wouldn't be hearing the incessant wails of the immature yaoi haters. As long as it's between a Boy and Girl, the world is happy. But if it's the same gender? ZOMG NOES IT WROOONGZ *TORCHES BURN BURN*. >:/

I remember I pulled a pretty good counter-proof point about this once, on another similar thread. And if my memory recalls right, I pulled this on YOU iPraise. You proved my point on how (I will just add 'Most' for the heck of it) anti!Soku views are solely based on one's sexual preferences/what one think is wrong. :/

4. Kingdom Glory Banned

Actually, even if Riku was a freaking girl, I would say Kairi and him go together.

5. Daydreamer

Just pointing out if so that Sora's and Riku's relationship is indeed more developed, doesn't mean we should be pairing them off as a couple. ><

6. HOSPITAL STAT! i knock tits

...I'm just going to stop talking to you. Apparently I'm better off talking to my arse who can spurt out more concrete lines than you could.

'Overlooking the gender' is all I'm going to repeat for this, I don't see the point in retyping my rant again. And everyone's entitled to their preferenes and opinions. Especially since...

NO couple is CANON in Kingdom Hearts guys. Just to remind y'all.

7. Peyton Goddess Of Love ♥

I still think the game is more Sora x Kairi.
    It's more played/made up for it.
    It is more laying up for Sora and Kairi to be togheter in my opinion.
    I have nothing against yaoi at all. But I like the though of Sora x Kairi so much better than Riku x Sora and besides I think Sora and Riku's relation ship is best friends not lovers.
    I think it should be :

Sora x Kairi = Lovers

Riku & Sora = best friends

I in my opinion think that is what the game plays up to.

8. Daydreamer

Please don't suspect me of not looking over genders. <_< (if that is what you are doing)

I just don't find enough evidence in the game showing that Riku and Sora love each other in a boyfriend relationship.

9. Peyton Goddess Of Love ♥

Oh, and another thing I think : I actually think Kairi have pretty much feelings. She expresses her love for Sora all the time and stuff like that and how much she misses Sora and Riku and how she fights in the end.
    I think she has feelings, and so much more than a mushroom.

10. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

Being a Yaoi fan girl yes but I do think Sora with Kairi is cuter, also to stop this getting in to a flame war and I can see it happening since it alway does when people talk about yaoi I'll be asking a mod or admin to lock this and from now on please no more starting thread asking if people like a yaoi paring.

11. HOSPITAL STAT! i knock tits

Elfyyyyyyyy Zandyne wasn't talking about Kairi's feelings, she was talking about the lack of character development she had.

Aw lol I did.

Hmm...there was a word for this. I think it was 'friendship sent on fire'? Something along those lines.

Quoted from moi. =D

12. 2Foxxie4U ~The Forgotten Crusader...~

Maybe. All Kairi got after she'd been frickin' KIDNAPPED by the Organization was a frickin' hug! He CRIED ( for the third time in the frickin' game, need I remind you! O.o; ) over Riku when he'd just been missing! And he already KNEW Riku was okay! The King told him THAT!

It's possible. Because there is quite a lot of evidence that suggests Sora IS into Riku, I don't think it's flame-worthy material.

Now, if someone came up with a pairing like XigbarxSora (O.o; IT BURNSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! DX) - that'd be a whole different matter. XD;

13. Peyton Goddess Of Love ♥

It didn't sound like that at all, and she can't really compare with a mushroom >_>.

But whatever I don't care and don't want to flame =D

14. Stardust Chaser

[KH, KH:COM, and KH2 Spoilers]

Guys, can we pleased talk about this in a civilized manner? Yaoi threads always do this, and I never thought it was a very good idea to argue about such controversial subjects to begin with, since all it usually does is cause a flame war.

All we need to do is look at the facts from both points of view: From someone who supports SoraxKairi and someone who supports SoraxRiku. It's not rocket science, but it's a hard thing to grasp, even for me, since I myself dislike yaoi (I don't dislike it because I'm homophobic, either, so don't automatically assume that. I find it disrespectful to people who really are gay, as they have lives other than kissing eachother in public, unlike what most fanfiction and fanart suggests. And I didn't say that so you guys could flame me, either, so please don't...This whole post is just my opinion on the matter).

First, put yourselves in Sora's shoes, as a character. Think about this for a minute.

So you're in the middle of an apology to this girl Kairi, who you promised you would come back to around a year ago. You broke that promise and she went looking for you herself, putting her in grave danger. So, right as you finish saying 'Sorry,' she runs up and hugs you. What do you do? Do you break down crying? Do you slap her across the face? Are you shocked?!

No, you don't break down crying -- it wouldn't make sense for you to do that, in the middle of a hug, and you can't really decide what to do next, anyway.
    And no, you don't slap her across the face, because she just accepted your apology without you even finishing.
    But yes, you are completely and utterly shocked, and it takes you a minute to get over it and hug her back.

The fact of the matter is that Sora didn't just walk up to Kairi and say 'hi' like everyone is saying. It was a hug, and he was just shocked at first. I don't care if it was awkward, because it makes sense it would be, the way it happened.

Second, the part where he breaks down crying before Riku comes into play. Again with the 'put yourselves in Sora's shoes' bit.

Your friend Kairi just showed you that the person you thought to be your worst enemy, 'Ansem', is really your best friend, who was trapped in the Realm of Darkness a year ago. So, what do you do?

Again, I find the only action that fits is to break down and cry. He couldn't just say "hello" and walk away (and no, that's not what he did with Kairi), he couldn't slap Riku across the face -- There was no other action that fit the moment.

So Sora breaks down crying. I think it makes perfect sense -- he was already emotionally shaken because of what Kairi did, and he just found both of his friends, one of which missing since the events of the first Kingdom Hearts, at the same time.

Most SoraxRiku fans use The World That Never Was as proof for their relationship -- so, if the World That Never Was makes SoraxRiku more plausible, what makes SoraxKairi more plausible?

- Roxas's Story. When Roxas fell off of the Twilight Town clock tower, and when he came in contact with Kairi's heart, this is part of the dialogue that occured.

Kairi: Who are you? And that's not my name. I'm Kairi.
    Roxas: Oh, you're that girl he likes!

- The Land of Dragons. Sora starts crying upon seeing Mulan and Shang together, which hints at SoraxKairi. Donald and Goofy's attempt to comfort him further proves this.

- When Kairi goes to Twilight Town. After Kairi retells her story, Olette says, "What a romantic story."

- Port Royal. When Sora sees Will and Elizabeth together, this is the dialogue that follows:

Goofy: Hey, Sora, how come you're all red?
    Sora: W-what?! I am not red!
    Donald: I know who you're thinking about!

- Twilight Town. When Sora is told Kairi was kidnapped, she becomes mentioned by him significantly more for the rest of the game.

- Halloween Town. Sora sees himself dancing with Kairi as he remembers her, and not only that, but the dialogue before it went something like this:

Sora: Maybe I never gave her a real gift, after all.
    Goofy: Aww, I'm sure Kairi would like anything you gave her!
    Sora: I know, that's what made it so hard to choose.

- Hollow Bastion. Upon finding Saix in Hollow Bastion, the following dialogue occurs.

[Axel disappears]

Saix: We will ensure he recieves the maximum punishment.
    Sora: I don't care about any of that! Just let me into the Realm of Darkness, okay?
    Saix: If it's Kairi you're worried about, don't. We're taking very good care of her.
    Sora: Take me to her.
    Saix: Is she that important to you?
    Sora: Yeah. More than anything.
    Saix: Show me how important.
    [Sora pauses, and then gets down on his hands and knees]
    Sora: Please.
    Saix: So, you really do care for her. In that case, the answer is no.

- The End to Kingdom Hearts II. It was stated in an interview that the end of the first Kingdom Hearts showed Sora and Kairi's hands slipping apart, so they wanted to show them holding hands for the end of this game.

- Sora in the Secret Cave, at the end of the credits. Sora finds Kairi's drawing at the end of the credits, and smiles. Why would he smile if he didn't feel the same way as her?

Hints of SoraxKairi go further back than Kingdom Hearts II; It is especially hinted in Chain of Memories ("She's your light. The light in darkness." "Remember, Sora. Remember who's most important to you."), and in KH1, it is stated in Jiminy's Journal that "Kairi's deep feeling for Sora brought him back to the light." Sora also holds onto the Oathkeeper through all three games, and it becomes a very important part of the series. Not only that, but Kairi's heart hid inside of Sora in the first Kingdom Hearts, and he sacrificed his own heart, along with his being as a human, to free hers and save her. He didn't care what happened to him.

Now, we can move on to hints of SoraxRiku. As I've already explained the breaking down in The World That Never Was, I'm not going to get into that again.

Riku is mentioned throughout the series, however not in the same way as Kairi -- Sora never sees himself dancing with Riku, Sora's friends never tease him about Riku. Therefore, that doesn't prove anything. Just because Sora occasionally says Riku's name when he's told something's happened to him, doesn't mean he loves him.

In The World That Never Was, Riku gets injured by Xemnas. Now, put yourself in Sora's shoes again. He's your best friend, so are you going to help him out, or not?

Of course you're going to help him out. The problem is, he's limping, so you have to hold onto his belt to keep his pants from siliding/getting dragged off. Not his butt, his belt. Holding onto his butt would be impractical, as it wouldn't help very much at keeping Riku's pants on, and it would also be insanely stupid on Sora's part, as if he did like him, that would be moving far too fast.

The conversation that follows goes over nothing about them liking eachother, and instead covers how they've both been affected by the Darkness, and how Riku was jealous of Sora and his heart. When they both realize they may be stuck there, they accept it at first -- If they were the darkness, they wouldn't put any of their friends in danger. However, once Kairi's letter is found, it causes Sora to open the door to light -- And not only that, but I'm sure you all saw him smile.

Riku is hinted as Sora's friend in Chain of Memories -- Not Sora's "light" or "the person most important to him." There are certain scenes between Sora and the Riku Replica that may hint at SoraxRiku ("That is so like you. You're always trying to worm your way into my heart!"), but being as this is the Riku Replica and not the real Riku, we know these aren't Riku's true feelings at all.

In Kingdom Hearts, they are best friends in the beginning of the game, but as you all know, Riku later tries to kill Sora in an attempt to save Kairi. This brings up another point, another point that we are all missing: Riku's relationship with Kairi.

Riku is constantly teasing Sora about his apparent 'crush' on Kairi, and also hinting that he cares as much, too. The incident with the Paupu, where Riku gives Sora a paupu fruit, shouldn't mean much, as neither ate a bite of it -- Not only that, but Sora tossed the paupu away, which could symbolize that he has no feelings for Riku.

On Destiny Islands, Tidus says, "Hey, Sora, you've gotten stronger! Chances are, though, you're still no match for Riku. We took him on three-to-one last time, and he whipped us all! Oh well, I guess Kairi can always count on him."

This hints at a relationship between Kairi and Riku, as does the dialogue before the race on Destiny Islands:

Sora: If I win...Uhh...I'm captain! And if you win --
    Riku: I get to share the paupu with Kairi.
    Sora: Huh?
    Riku: Deal? The winner gets to share a paupu with Kairi!
    Sora: Wha--Wait a minute!

This both hints at a relationship between Kairi and Riku and a relationship between Kairi and Sora, but nothing about Sora and Riku.

With all of that said, I would love to say that it's safe to say that it's Kairi that Sora 'loves' (even if he's only fifteen in the second game) and not Riku; However, I will need input from someone who likes yaoi on the matter, since I can't speak for that side of the argument well.

((NOTE: I probably didn't get the quotes perfectly, sorry, but I'm sure I was close, at least.))

15. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

I'm not homophobic-- whatever floats your boat right? I don't mind yaoi either if it's tasteful and involving characters that obviously incorporate their sexuality into who they are as people.For the previous sentence to stand you have to be dealing with characters that are meshed into their original story with actual romance and assertive sexuality, not this "I blush every time I think of Kairi and then hug her " garbage. That's just kids stuff. It's the same thing with Sephiroth and Cloud, Naruto and Sasuke-- neither of them have expressed any real romance or their true sexuality through themselves or with another character. What I'm trying to get at is that such pairings with characters lacking dimension (due to their creation) just don't work because your trying to place the character and what your given from a story that involves little sexuality, if any, and trying to cram all that stuff into it. The only tasteful and "good" yaoi is that which begins as yaoi.

16. HOSPITAL STAT! i knock tits

Stardust, you have my respect. I congratulate you for being the sole person on this thread (who supports Sora/Kairi) to bring out a concrete argument, without lashing on the Soku/totally disproving. So good for you. (:

17. tasogarehime Destiny Islands Resident

I am so sick of these...

It’s really simple: If you don't like Yaoi/ Shonen ai/ slash what ever you want to call it ignore it! I have NO PROBLEM avoiding parings I don't like, isn't that amazing! Don't start a stupid thread about it just so you can gather yaoi-haters to complain about something you can easily avoid.

In the world of fandom "canon" parings don't mean squat. I like a lot of KH parings
    both yaoi, and het. Not a single one is "canon". Let people enjoy the KH fandom the way they want and SHUT UP! Seriously please don't turn this into the total mess the Harry Potter fandom is.

18. John Clay Rice Hollow Bastion Committee

Yeah but Roxas said I defeated a Riku once and I know he didn't really kill him but Sora thought that he did. And the King may have saw Riku before but Sora didn't know that Roxas was his Nobody or why he was asleep. Riku could've died after that.

19. Zandyne King's Apprentice

Kudos to Stardust for presenting a well-written as well as LOGICAL argument. I would also like to thank Aqua for seemingly being the only person who likes to, for lack of a more tactful terming, read what I said/typed. As for iPraise, having fun with your crusade? By the way, good job at reading, the fact you used a fragmented counterpoint is an example for everyone to follow. -You haven't seen any real bashing children, believe me, I was only pointing out what was already there in the game-

As to how Stardust poined out all of these pro Sora/Kairi, I'm no yaoi-expert or anything, I don't even involve myself in the pairing.....But I'll TRY to explain it. (I should also point out that these well-written Sora/Riku's are USUALLY one-sided, just thought I should clarify that before proceeding.)

I think the reason why Sora is spread around so much is because he very much fits the definition of the 'hero', he saves people and he wants to save people. When you compare Kairi and Riku as people who need to be 'saved', Riku needs it more (emotionally and literally), Kairi, well aside from needing a knight to keep her safe, doesn't Sora for much else.

In a majority of KH1, Riku is always shown being jealous of Sora, until the very end. He uses the excuse of 'I'm being ignored by YOU (Sora) that's why I've become this', he doesn't even mention Kairi as his main motive, rather he uses her as a tool (I mean this literally, he did).

As for KH:CoM, this is all speculation, but of course Riku would never be called the light, he used the power of darkness how recently? Kairi has been established that she is the symbol of pure goodness, its only natural she is called his 'light'. Another meaning to light is not your Love, but your guide, you don't have to love someone for them to guide you. That and let's look at Sora's perception of Riku for a majority of this game, he thinks Riku is trying to kill him, but he's constantly trying to get him back to normal (this is completely understandable, but you have to admit he is using saintly patience when dealing with the Replica + his (Sora's) additional aggressiveness from Namine's efforts.)

As for KH2, I'd like to avoid re-stating what I've already said. But even if you were to actually take the game script itself and do a word count for Riku and Kairi there are at least MENTIONED the same amount of times, my friend who's never played KH at all (prior to me showing her KH2) commented, 'Sheesh, Sora seems to have the hots for this Riku instad of that Kairi chick', when I asked why she replied 'Well cause he says Riku so damn much and is acting more worried over him then the girl!'. I haven't checked it again myself, but if someone from the outside can say that, I don't know what else to say. This probably won't count as a real point, but hey, its an observation from another. -Likelikihood of someone actually believing this probably varies based on whatever side they're already on for this 'arguement', I know for a fact this happened because I was the one observing this, but I'm most likely going to be accused of lying by someone like iPraise, hahaha.-

But that's as far as I can get into explaining for this, I am no expert or specialist as I've said previously.

Now, as a slight off-topic that is semi-relevant, Sora is an affectionate abd emotional person. I think the etiquette for guys that's been ingrained into our minds is most likely what has led some of the respective Sorea/Riku shippers to believe what they believe. We also lack respective 'fair' parallels for both pairings to be compared to (We barely see Sora interact with any other girl or guy in his age-group besides Kairi and Riku so everything is relative to debatable interpretation). If it really comes down to it, the three of them could all be really good friends (for, FOREVER), and what's so bad about that?

20. SarahXxXSora Merlin's Housekeeper

no.

definately no.

hence my username.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.