Support Streaming on Blu Ray player?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 61, Jan 7, 2014.

1. 61 No. B

Alright, so first things first, can I stream files on my computer on my blu ray player?

I'm nearly positive the answer to this question is yes, but I'm not sure how and in order to do so I don't entirely understand some key terms.

Yes, I know I could just attach my computer to my television and watch it that way, but I want to know how to do this as well.

The model of the player is Sony BDP s3100.

I tried turning on Network Sharing on my pc but it didn't show up on the blu ray player. And the main thing that I don't want is to be conencted to the other pcs in my house via network sharing. I would like to be able to have a private network between my pc and my blu ray player, and disconnect my blu ray player from the main network because right now it shows that it's connected to the main one. But, I'm not sure if that's possible and in order to better understand what I'm dealing with and how to deal with it, I need a few things defined.
    • Network
    • Server
    When I go to Network Setting>Connection Server Setting> it shows that it's connected to the main network or whatever, and I don't want that. I would like to have my own separate from everyone elses if that's at all possible. Now, when I say that it's connected to the main network or whatver I don't mean my wireless network connection, because the server name that it's showing is not the same as that.

Hopefully someone out there knows precisely what I'm talking about, and if not at least understands. Let me know if you need more detail or need something explained better.

2. Misty gimme kiss

Creating a private network within a network is called subnetting and it's actually quite common in businesses and schools. It is, however, kind of a pain in the butt to set up. A preferable option would be to set up a shared folder with password protection, if that meets your requirements (and your bluray player supports it).

Subnetting will require router configuration and it is possible yours won't support it. Some home routers don't, or you need two routers for it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  3. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/12/media-streaming-with-windows-7.aspx

^should be able to help you but only if what you're wanting to watch is viewable through WMP. I imagine its also possible with other media players.

I've only had a quick gander and it looks like your player is only able to stream through DLNA, for example WMP, VLC or some other media player. You shouldn't need to create a separate network, just restrict what PCs or devices can access your library.

4. 61 No. B

Ok, so, I found the solution. I was making it much more complicated than it needed to be. I just went to the Network and Sharing Center in CP and changed some settings that allowed me to select who had access to what and I allowed access to the BDP and blocked everyone else.

Not that it matters because apparently recent network updates (which I had to install to connect to the internet) to the BDP prevented .mkv files from being streamed, which was the only format I really cared about and I bought this specific model because it could play .mkv but now it can't. SO FRUSTRATED