Studio Ghibli to stop making movies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Jin, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Jin うごかないで

2. Antidote Façade

Holy crap, I though Ghibli were mega. I had no idea they'd been losing revenue. Definitely sad to hear, but things like this are expected if you're losing money and staff to produce movies.

Hoping this doesn't actually lead to the dissolution of Ghibli. Maybe they do just need time to think things over, and like they say even go back to try and monetise more on their older titles while putting new movies on hiatus, at least not as an indefinite.

3. Shika93 Merlin's Housekeeper

4. Fellangel Bichael May

They're not stopping. They're just taking a small pause. Eventually the will be back up making films again. Although with Miyazaki gone, I'm not sure how that will fare...

5. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

If I remember right, folk thought the same when Walt Disney died. And not including some of Disney's latest stuff, they've had a good run afterwards. Pretty sure Ghibli can do it too.

In regards to Ghibli taking a break, I think it's was a wise decision for them, especially with their Hollywood approach to their latest films - tossing all amounts of money onto their projects. Ghibli usually took a couple of years between their films and yet they released three films over a twelve month period. That's a lot of any company. I really hope during this break they can reestablish what it is they're about and go back to their roots. You can make excellent films with smaller budgets!