Superhero Crossover in an original setting

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Boy Wonder, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackdaniel0 Twilight Town Denizen

I'm leaning towards a more open crossover RP. I always did like having room for a lot more originality.

2. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I feel like adding more than just superhero comics is kind of just opening it up to too many disputes between who can win or whatever. Simply put, the only other comics I could see working in this would be the Kick-Ass comics :v

3. Arch Mana Knight

Just superhero comics(and their respective extra media) seems good enough. Though it might be fun just to have Sonic in simply for the sake of killing him in the first post. That would be satisfying.

4. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

That's kind of why I was thinking of selecting a few franchises that exemplify the "hero" trope and allowing only characters from those. I'd have to decide on certain franchises, though. I don't know, still playing with the idea. I think it'd be interesting to see certain characters from different franchises acting in a superhero-based world, but it may get too complicated.

5. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Alright, so I'm leaning towards that world-building crossover RP. Though it's mostly a Marvel/DC universe, I combined elements from what I see as other "hero" franchises, but unless characters from those franchises are used, we won't see much of them (most likely just as plot elements now and then). As it stands now, the main team will be the Justice Avengers but if there are enough heroes, I was going to split them into different teams and then have a Civil War later, same for villains. The beginning is pretty open when it comes to characters' stories (Working with Ultron? The Justice Avengers? SHIELD Agent? X-Men/Fantastic Four? Lone hero roped into the events? Stuff like that). After the "Age of Ultron," I was planning on a time skip to the new team(s)' status quo and adding the elements of any new franchises that aren't mentioned in the OP, but belonging to any characters' chosen. So the current state of the world is a general and vague combination of Marvel (specifically the Cinematic universe), DC (a more general version), X-Men (a general version), and random elements of everything else; Just because something exists (The GI Joes, for instance) doesn't mean it'll play much of a part, if any, unless needed to. I have a list of recommended franchises, series, etc. to choose from, but if they can be considered a "superhero" by the included definition, I'll allow it. Here's the current draft of the OP.
    "A person -generally humanoid- with unique capabilities who is tasked -either by personal mission, special circumstance, or as an occupation- with combating crime, defending citizens, or protecting the Earth as a whole."

What it means to be a "superhero" is difficult to define. In fact, Earth has seen many different people committed to making the world a better place over the years. By extension, "supervillains" have risen to do harm to those who can't defend themselves. The world is no longer mundane; aliens, robots, mutants, demons, extra-dimensional threats, and more have made Earth the center of a diverse universe. As such, superheroes and supervillains have been emerging with various origins and abilities. The Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division -SHIELD, for short- was founded as humanity's defense against extraordinary threats. With programs on the front lines such as the GI Joe branch of the military, the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense, and -most recently- the Justice Avengers Initiative, SHIELD has become a globe-spanning defense organization composed of even more diverse and threat-specific organizations. SHIELD has backed Earth's defenders in protecting the planet against threats such as the Chitauri, Kryptonians, the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Hydra, the Sinister Six, and even the Golden Army.

However, one of SHIELD's defunct defense programs -an advanced Artificial Intelligence named Ultron- was brought to life by terrorists using extraterrestrial technology. Spreading himself throughout countless bodies and harnessing technologies ranging from Hydra's weapons to mutant-hunting Sentinels, Ultron brought it upon himself to save the world...by destroying humanity. Fortunately, Ultron's plan to integrate himself into a new body was foiled by the Justice Avengers, giving birth to a new hero: Vision. Unfortunately, however, Ultron's mysterious endgame involving large amounts of Vibranium in the country of Latveria has not been stopped.
    It is up to not just the Justice Avengers, but all kinds of heroes to stop Ultron and save humanity from extinction.
    I think I might be ready to post it tonight after some fine-tuning.[DOUBLEPOST=1443995739][/DOUBLEPOST]Franchises that I had in mind while typing that were
    • Marvel Comics
      • Specifically the Cinematic Universe with the inclusion of Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix series. However, X-Men and Fantastic Four, as well as Spider-Man's corner of the universe are big names within. Mutants, Inhumans, are commonplace. A major difference is SHIELD being MUCH bigger as it's now an umbrella organization so I'm not sure on Hydra's involvement with SHIELD yet, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do.
    • DC Comics
      • I was thinking of current live-action series such as the Man of Steel film and Arrow/Flash series, but it's more of a general "use-what-we-need" feel.
    • GI Joe
      • Definitely a more general feel, possibly from the film series. I'm simply seeing them as SHIELD's version of the military. Specialized soldiers. So...Cobra + Hydra?
    • Image Comics
      • Things such as Invincible and Spawn, the Crow, Savage Dragon, etc. Though Spawn and the Crow are probably the best known properties outside of The Walking Dead, which doesn't really fit, and Saga.
    • Dark Horse Comics
      • Hellboy, specifically.
    • Power Rangers
      • Specifically the original series, but I can see different teams working simultaneously throughout the world
    • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
      • Not going to lie, the fact that TMNT started as a parody of different comic series and their origin is a Daredevil reference inspired this.
    • Other
      • There are some other properties I had in mind such as the Hancock, Chronicle, Unbreakable, Crank, Jumper, Push, Big Hero 6 and The Condor films and television series such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Heroes.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  6. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.