Help Table Code Problems

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Amaury, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misty gimme kiss

Should be fixed now.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

That's much better. Thanks, Misty. Did you remove it or modify it, out of curiosity?

While Facebook is now on one line, things in my other tabs, such as my Gaming & Timeline thread, are still on separate lines, but that's strictly from how Mozilla Firefox is coded now, as far as I know. At least Facebook is on one line as will any single words I might use in the future.

Many thanks!

Edit - 8:31 AM PDT: I still find it interesting how they all appear on one line while previewing, just not on posts. Them still appearing on separate lines posts may have something to do with the postbit width, then, but I'm not sure.

Again, though, thanks for the fix. :)

Edit - 8:39 AM PDT: I think it might be the postbit width. I tried shortening Premium Primetime to PPT, and see this:
    PPTs.png

I know it's trivial, but I just wanted to share it. Like I said, at least single words don't have a problem now. :)

3. Misty gimme kiss

I just modified it to stop breaking mid-word and break instead at the ends of words, if it has to. The width still auto-adjusts.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Ah, okay. So the separate-lined stuff I'm seeing now is because of that, I would assume?

So then, how come things appears all on one line while previewing, but not on posts?

Also, have I been misunderstanding auto-adjust all this time? I thought it made it so everything was on one line on each row. If not, I wonder if it's Mozilla Firefox now.

5. Misty gimme kiss

I don't know how the width is determined or why the previews appear differently (which is the case for several BBCodes), but it's not an issue that will be circumvented by switching browsers. All I did was force it to stop breaking words in half.

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

Okay, thank you.

Do you know if improved table functionality will be in that new editor XenForo wants to release since it's not native to the software? Like being able to customize the width manually like on vBulletin, for example?

7. Misty gimme kiss

There's been no official statement on a new editor, nor whether it will have table functionality.

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. :)

By the way, do you think, like the Bugzilla support personnel mentioned, if we were to remove the "word-wrap: break-word" entirely instead of modifying it like you did, everything in tables would be on one line for each row? For example, even if I shorten everything to "PPT" from "Premium Primetime" under my Premium Primetimes tab, with the numbers "three" and up, they're still going on separate lines on Mozilla Firefox.

I would say maybe we could test it, but I'm not sure where else you guys use "word-wrap: break-word" and if it could break anything. However, it's not that big of a deal because it's at least not going by mid-word anymore.

I really do appreciate your responses here, and I apologize if this, which I guess we can call trivial, gets somewhat annoying.

9. Misty gimme kiss

I modified it to use the default behavior, it'd be the same as removing it.

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

Ah, okay.

That's weird, then, how even if I shorten it (the example I provided), it's still separated to two lines. Support said that removing it entirely, which you essentially did, would make everything on one line (see here), which didn't happen here, so I'm assuming part of the issue is indeed on Mozilla Firefox, but I'm not sure. I'll bring it up on the report.

Thanks for the response once again.

11. Mixt The dude that does the thing

The deal here is that we can't fix what the automatic width is and it is too small. What removing "word-wrap: break-word" does is it prevents breaking a word up to do wrapping, but since the space is still a few pixels too small it will still wrap entire words where it can.

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

It shows up all on one line for reach row on Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Opera, as I've stated before -- in other words, it's a non-issue on those browsers.

Out of the four browsers I've used, if it's only on Mozilla Firefox that it's an issue on and Misty's already fixed part of the issue, then if it's still wrapping -- albeit not mid-word anymore -- part of the issue has to be Mozilla Firefox, right?

13. Mixt The dude that does the thing

The way that the table code autosizes is non-standard, and thus there isn't a standardized way for a browser to interpret it. Thus Firefox isn't doing it "wrong" it just isn't the result you want in this case.

What needs to happen is a tweak to the table code so that can then be interpreted in a standard way for the browser, but that bit of code is very difficult for us to change without breaking stuff. So we need to wait for an update.

14. Misty gimme kiss

And unfortunately it's not this simple, because the table code is not part of the core. It's an add-on, basically, hence why it's kind of messy to use. So it's naturally going to have some oddities about it. Just gotta put up with them.

15. Amaury Legendary Hero

Thanks, guys!

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get this table add-on? I'm interested in looking at it.

16. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Well I meant an update to the plugin (or creation of an alternative); but yes, there is no telling when or if that will come about so we just have to deal with it.

17. Misty gimme kiss

It's just simple BBCode that replaces HTML table code. Xenforo's code parsing with the editor is a little wonky in the first place, table codes are kind of... not user friendly (and have fallen out of favor). If you really want to see the exact page I got it from that's up to you but it doesn't really have any additional details.

18. Amaury Legendary Hero

If you want to, sure, but you pretty much just summed it up, and since there aren't additional details, it'd be kind of unnecessary, haha!

19. Stardust Chaser

Locked by request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.