The Anime Criterion: A New Blog

Discussion in 'Archives' started by parabola, May 20, 2014.

1. parabola Destiny Islands Resident

2. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I've only ready your introduction, and I don't know much about you, so please don't take offense to anything.

First off, good for you in making a blog. Write about something you're passionate about, and don't let anyone stop you. However, in my eyes, it seems like you're someone who thinks that "anything done in anime/Japan is brilliant, and everything else fails in comparison". I find that this kind of thing tends to be the mindset of people who just got into anime. I went through that phase after getting into anime at first, but after growing into it, I noticed that it wasn't any different than any other medium out there.

From all the stuff that you listed, it seemed like you were only talking about stuff that is well known or popular. Even now, I noticed that you're mainly talking about shonen shows. I think the best thing to do, personally, when judging an anime, is to judge it like it's any other show. For example, I really dug the movie The Girl Who Leapt through Time when I saw it a couple of weeks ago. The reason I love it though is because it had such a great story with believable characters, not because it was an animated film. If that exact movie was something made in live action and I saw it, I still would have thoroughly loved it. At the same time, I'm probably one of the few people out there who is not blown away by Spirted Away. Yes it's pretty and well animated, but it just felt all over the place for me and had plenty of weird things in there just for the sake of being weird, not to service the story.

Animation is just another way of telling a story; some people understand that more than others. Frozen was my favorite movie last year, not because it was animated, but because I really connected to the story and I cared for the characters. For me, you can have the best visuals in the world, but if you don't have a story that can support that, then you're left with something like High School of the Dead.

3. parabola Destiny Islands Resident

4. parabola Destiny Islands Resident