Traditional Art The Aspiring concept artist.

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by Exsahn, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

Thanks again guys! and yeah Goimez thats how all my drawings start out as sticks and very simple shapes, remember you want to take your time one your drawings and try to draw from simple to complex know what I mean?

2. Shuhbooty moon child

HOLY! O.O
    My, my, my...those are be-on awesome! That- this is just awesome artwork! There are just.. O.O I LOVE the heatless one. The coloring is great. You me friend are a true artis!

3. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

Your too kind! Thanks so much! Also I just got a new scanner so I will be able to post much more often

4. Shuhbooty moon child

Sweetneeessss!!!!
    I hope so, your artwork is just amazing! <333

5. twilit_shadow King's Apprentice

These are so awesome!!!! I especially love the one with Xemnas at the very bottom. That is very proverbial (for lack of a better word).

Everything in these pictures is amazing. You have a great talent for detail, and I give you major credit for that. I think your only problem is proportion. Some of your humans/hands/etc. are a little off in some places but they definately work. I adore your creations though. Each of these creatures and/or objects are absolutely gorgeous. Props to you. lol.

6. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

Cloud

heres a pic of cloud I made, scanner kinda messed it up, will see if I can put a better version on later.

[​IMG]

7. Cocohints "Up to now, the most discussed topic is global war

I've seen through your pictures in this thread now, and I can only say that you are a very promising artist. Great to see that you work with realistic style too! :D My crit for your earlier pictures would be to avoid making the lineart so noticable for realism, since you are using pencils you should only let the darkest parts be sharp and leave the light parts light. In other words, avoid making a too neutral lineart. :3

The Cloud picture looks very good, especially the shading are pretty acurate to me. :) The arms looks a little too short, mainly the part of the arms closest to the shoulder joints ended up too short imo. You'll want to study how arms work, how far they can reach, and how far the elbows will be able to reach in a pose like Cloud is pulling right now.

Also, Cloud's left shoe (as in his left) can be made a tiiiny amount bigger, for pespective's sake. It will give the impression that this foot is the closest to the viewer. Feel free to add shadows to the ground, even if he doesn't look like he's floating in mid air in this picture. (believe me, that's a rare thing I see when people don't add shadows on the ground)

Other than that it's pretty awesome! :> I would like to see some more from you in the future.

8. Kaira Destiny Islands Resident

In the 6th picture down, the girl's legs are a tad too short. You seem to be extremely talented with drawing objects and pieces of things (i.e. the hands and the stools you drew were AMAZING), but your human work could be better.

I do love your work, though! It is very amazing! O__O;;

9. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

thanks guys! That exactly the advice I was looking for! :P and I will try to improve it :P I just got anatomy for the artist so I'll be working on my human life studies soon and studying anatomy and proportions as well as my posturing and gesture. And cocohints your totally right thanks for the tip on the lines! I will be practicing a lot to improve :P will post a whole big dump of pictures in awhile.

10. Zandyne King's Apprentice

You are certainly one of the better artists of this forum but you do have a ways to go. (I don't mean this in a negative way, I'm just trying to be honest.) From the few concepts I can see from here you can indeed become a concept artist, you just need to refine and practice more. Your proportions seem to be a bit off and the quality of the overall piece tends to vary a little too much for comfort. Some pieces have amazing shading and detail, others do not. I'd suggest finding a style you're comfortable with and stick with mastering that first. I'd also suggest if you are planning on becoming a concept artist to NOT use other's concept artwork, because that is not practicing conceptualization but rather doing a "master drawing exercise" or taking artistic liscense (unless it is stock, ie: photos of reference).

Anyway, best of luck with your work and should you post anymore anytime soon and still want feedback I'd be happy to supply it. :D

(I would actually like to become a concept artist as well, but like you, I still have a long way to go.)

11. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

HERES some more!

Some more work I did.

[​IMG]

12. Hakurei Reimu Take my hand. And then I'll fly with you right up

Nice, that's some good stuff.

BTW, wat IS that supposed 2 b?

13. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

Just kind of a large sand dwelling kind of lobster like monster. it normally has most of its body buried under the sand with both claws sticking up above the sand so it can quickly charge and snap at the player if its lucky enough to clap on to the player then it will bore its fangs into him and poison it. If the player is patient enough it will get aggravated and pop up out of the sand and charge at the player. Its very vulnerable above ground because it can no longer use its claws because it needs it to support its bulky body if the player can dodge past the fangs of the creature then they can slash and stab into the soft tentacled underbelly and hopefully kill it.

14. Hakurei Reimu Take my hand. And then I'll fly with you right up

Yea I figured it's something like that. Claws kinda gave it off. At first I thought it was a hermit crab...

15. Zandyne King's Apprentice

*Most recent piece*
    The front claws have amazing detail, however the "shoulder" armor looks a tad too stiff for the mobility you implied in your description. The bumps along the armor is also a nice touch, but again, some of it appears to be inconsistant with the depth you are implying.

The "mouth" also looks slightly odd....I have no idea why but I am reminded of the front wheels of a motorcycle. The opposite side legs seem off in comparision to the legs that we can see in the "front". The legs that are in the foreground however are done suitably well in terms of shading and shine.

The no line method was pulled off quite well here, but if you plan on becoming a concept artist, I hope you plan to add color to your original concepts for further critique. Other than that keep it up.

16. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

omg sorry about Hiatus

I know its been forever since I've been on but I've been extremely busy! I've got a lot of stuff to show you and a lot of stuff to work on so lets start off with a recent charcoal portrait of Utada Hikaru.

[​IMG]

More on the way soon guys! I promise to never go on Hiatus this long ever again! I'm going to rededicate myself to my art big time. That being said can someone compose a quick bullet point list for the things I should really really work on? You know to kinda focus my efforts on the things that need the most drastic improvement. Once again sorry about the hiatus but life was hectic! won't happen again!

17. SplitOverload Chaser

Oh my god.

That is one of the most beautiful work I've ever seen here. If you do one of buckethead, I'll go nuts.

18. amythest Traverse Town Homebody

OMFG those are really good! for once i don't have a critique, well there are some minor problems but those are easy to look past because of all the beautiful shading and just, well the form! keep it up! ^^,

19. Misty gimme kiss

These are all so beautiful. Are you self-taught?

I love the portrait of Utada.

20. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

thank you guys! heh heh! so nice! So first I would like to ask who buckethead is. Anyways yes I am self taught however I do have a mentor that I hold very close that points out about forty thousand mistakes in every piece I do then tells me how I could have made it better :P