The end of the world? 2012

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Roxas is Hot, Oct 12, 2007.

?

What do you think?

1. Yes, I think the world will end on this date.

9.0%
  2. Nah, the chances are slim-da-nil.

91.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

When I joined and started posting, it seemed like everyone was agreeing with you.
    Not that that's a bad thing. xP
    As I've stated before, I'm not Athiest.
    By the way, it's "now" and "knowing"...

And to be honest, you shouldn't have been trying to convert people in the first place. =\

2. Laurence_Fox Chaser

That's fine. Having different opinions is what makes us having such things as debates such as this possible. It's not a bad thing really.

Religious belief shouldn't interfere in a debate to the degree of being used as an insult. So what if people choose to believe in nothing? That's their choice that they themselves made. There shouldn't be any conversion done.

And for goodness sake don't post in text talk. It makes my inner grammar nazi angry.

3. Repliku Chaser

Numbers and writing words etc were concepts created by humans on earth. They clearly are meant as ways of expression and measuring things that we can visually sense or feel. These are not things that one day just popped up. People worked over eons to make numbers mean things as well as words and both continue to evolve just as we do. When people add numbers to religious connotations they choose to do so. Of course maths and language developed more with directions we took in astrology, sciences, history, measurements of time and religions. However, it's rather clear that humans developed math and numbers ourselves just as we did words and the many languages we possess. Darkwatch (Deathwatch for the old joke) is correct.

Why does being a believer or not mean a thing here? You don't have to -leave- but do try to stick to the topic at hand and could you please stop trying to convert us? There are Christians here as well. Not all of us are evil atheists. We just all choose to treat each other respect and acknowledge our beliefs. Please try to learn tolerance. It is becoming more difficult to maintain a level of that anymore with what you keep saying.

4. Xephos Neko, gamer, animelover, and artist :3 *purrs*

Well in my religion, they say that the world will never end. Instead, Jesus will come here and protect us all keeping us living in this place also known as "The Promise Land" Almost like FF VII. It's like FF VII is a Christian based game.

5. khsuperfan Banned

grammar really doesn't matter, as long as u can read it eh? But i did think u were an Athiest, so.....sorry about that.

Like i said, i'm not converting. I know that when someone has an opinion, they most likely stick to it, they don't easily convert. I'm an Aquarius, so I do REALLY know about how people take their opinions.

first of all, you type a lot. second, i'm not trying to convert, mearly pointing out that the Athiests take there opinion seriously, and won't ever (probably) convert to a religion.

6. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Well, first of all, you openly admitted that you were trying to convert me. You said something along the lines of "well I guess I can't convert you so whatever..."

Also, the zodiac symbolized, astrotheological reference you just used hasn't much of a place in this thread. That already makes me want to create a new discussion, which I won't do. lol

Atheists do take their opinions seriously. And so do all people. It's not like it's just atheists; not to say that you were assuming something like that.

And also, I know a lot of adults (nearly all the adults I know, actually) that were, at one point, very atheist. Then they changed to a religion because of either fear or confusion. Or they rap their heads around a concept of the religion that boggles them so many times, that they confuse themself and somehow come out with a conclusion that was essentially made-up. So try not to generalize atheists like that. Again, it's everyone, not just atheists.

Also, you can't be sure about something like the end of the world when it comes to theology because Judaism interprets it much differently than any other major religion. Such as Christianity, which takes it almost 100% literally. However, some Jewish scholars don't always think the same. Or Jewish and Christian people in general, actually.

7. Repliku Chaser

So what if I type a lot? I know that sometimes people get sick of my long posts but others don't seem to mind. If they do, oh well. I respect their right to not have to read it but if it is addressed about something they said in bias, they should or it only proves the point they are prejudiced. Also, you have taken your opinion more seriously than any Atheist has. We have not called Christians stupid or ignorant. You came in here with a bias and you really please need to stop your hatreds. It's really not right that you judge us in any fashion. People are people and beliefs are a PART of a person, not the whole deal. There are many aspects and layers to people and personal religious, or lack of personal religious beliefs really does not sum up a person in total. I am sure that despite having differences in personal religion from an Atheist, there are other things you could find that is common ground.

Seeing as this is the point, that we all usually have areas we can see alike, you should try to keep to that and we continue to try despite the fact that you called us ignorant and stupid. You are also the one who said that we were calling you a religious kid n00b or whatever. We have not been so insulting. Do you like Kingdom Hearts? Well, we Atheists do too. Do you like other video games? We do too. Do you like to hang out with friends? We do too and we don't just say we won't hang out with someone because they are of a different belief than we are unless the -person- is attacking us for our beliefs.

In the end, you can say what you want and have your opinion about whether Atheists will or won't convert to a religion ever and why does this matter so very much to you? Why does what roams in someone else's head that is harmless to others bother you so much? It's like why do gays bother straight people so much? What people believe in or do with their sexuality as long as it hurts no one else is that person's right. Respect that right and you will find there is a whole world of new people out there you might have similarities to and get along with despite their religious views. If religion is all that makes a person a person to you, that prejudice is entirely on your end and that is dangerous. Think about it. Open your mind. You don't have to convert anyone and no one is out to convert you. There's more to life than just religion.

8. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Zodiac symbols have nothing to do with this...xD
    And for the record I can barely understand what you type.

And as Repliku said, you're entitled to your own opinion. Just don't go trying to convince everyone that you're right, or post theories that quite clearly are incorrect.

9. khsuperfan Banned

I said I wasn't trying to convert. I was mearly pointing out the fact that the only way u'd truly understand my view, is if u were converted to a religion, but u'r not. Its true that some Athiests convert in there later years, but unless u'r some 50 year old perve, i don't think that so much applies to u neccessarily yet.

Once again a long post. I usually skim over them because I don't have time to read them, and i want enough time to type up a post. And I agree with everything you said, based on the first fue sentences.

I can think I'm right all i want, u don't have to. I was just making a "Zodiac" joke if any of you know what i was talking about. An Aquarius trait is that they're very opinionated, and i'm an Aquarius. But i guess i got no laughs

10. Repliku Chaser

Seriously, if you are going to make derogatory and inflaming remarks, the least you could do is read someone's full retort to it. I don't type out it for my health. I am trying to help you see so that you can stop feeling hated here and others can stop feeling you are a religious zealot pusher because you are prejudiced against Atheists. I wrote this short. Now READ the other thing and each comment someone writes to you or don't bother responding. *huffs*.

11. Inasuma "pumpkin"

No, you see, I completely DO understand. I grew up around religion, I was Christian for nearly my entire life up until about 15 years old. Even up to that point, I had my questions that I was "too afraid" to ask. These are the things I ask, and have come up with answers to via research (actual research, not encyclopedia's), experience and understanding of all other religions.

This is the important questions: Can ALL religions ALL be correct at the SAME TIME?; What is the basis that something is just simply "believed" without question or explanation?

And most of all, it is how you do your research, in reciprocal, to understanding and truly respecting another view without the need to completely ignore the persons idea's. Like Repliku said, "Seriously, if you are going to make derogatory and inflaming remarks, the least you could do is read someone's full retort to it."

You may think that I am "flame debating" with you, but what you fail to see is that I am not flaming. I am becoming more and more shuttered by your lack in ability to understand what *I* am saying. I *know* what YOU are saying. I know because I was once someone who had that belief. Then I changed. And because you believe in that, I try to express a NEW idea to you, one that you clearly have NOT come across in your apparent "research."

12. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Yes, very true, but saying that the Earth is only 12,000 years old is just wrong. It's been proven to be millions of years old. Several of the points you bring up don't have real solid backing up.
    Oh yes, I knew what you're talking about. In fact, I know quite a lot about the Zodiac. Both Western and Eastern. I'm a Gemini, and the main definition is that Gemini are talkative, likable, have a keen intellect, and are quite versatile.
    What you said didn't really sound like a joke, anyway.

And show some respect. Repliku does type long posts, but it's all for our benefit. If you actually read what he/she said, you'd have a better understanding of the point that Repliku's trying to make. That goes for all posts, not just his/hers.
    Cin and Darky posted some interesting points, and from what I can tell, you didn't really read them.

13. khsuperfan Banned

Cool, I grew up aroung Lutherans, but about a year ago, I started studying ancient religions, and fell away from Christianity. No, not all religions are correct, I never said they were, only few are. VERY few. I'm sorry about the Reliriku thing. Like i've said before, I don't have a lot of time to get on a computer at school. Stop bugging me about it, plus i said i agreed with him. Geez......o_O
    And your last remark angers me a little. I know what Evolutionists think, what Athiests think, and most likely what you think based on your previous posts. Do not judge my level of knowledge. I'm telling you know, I have been given a new idea already. You stick to your opinion, i'll stick to mine. k? Unless you want to convert or something, then i'll help you out.

14. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

I'm still pretty ****ing pissed at this point that my post is going ignored.

15. Xephos Neko, gamer, animelover, and artist :3 *purrs*

Oh sorry. -_-;;

16. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Yeah... I am too, kinda. It was a good post. -_-a

Well I never judged your intelligence. I just judged your intelligence on this topic. Because I have yet to see you make any even remotely decent argument. Such as Earth being 12,000 years old. Please tell me how that is even logically possible. And tell me how Aliens landed here like you had stated earlier. In fact, that sounds more like Scientology, if anything, which isn't original at all, and confuses me a little. You want to think outside the box but you really don't have to; things are much simpler, imo.

And yes, I have my opinion and you have yours. But really, which one of us has had more of a base? Before all you were doing was yelling at atheists like they were a plague.

And again, the converting. lol

17. DarknessKingdom The Kingpin of the TV

The idea that the world is going to go poof in one day sounds like a load of bull to me.

No one should judge people just because they do not share the same ideals and opinion. You say you're a believer and follow the word of God. Maybe you should follow your teachings first before making judgement, eh? Who gave you the right to convert others? Who gave you this responsibility? Is this 'mission' coming from God or is it coming from you?

18. khsuperfan Banned

first of all, Cin....it was a good post. I went back and read it.
    Second, you did judge it by judging me on this topic. I've said it before, and i'll say it again, I don't have a lot of time to post like any of you....so its hard for me to think on a really nice post to put up. And with all my arguments with my parents, i can't get on the comuter at home. I tried, and then my Microsoft Word failed on me at home. So, I'll get a good post up soon, as soon as it starts workin' k!
    Third, its a theory, the 12,000 thing. It sure isn't 4billion like Evolution says it is. Fact: the sun burns away an inch and a half every year. Multipy that by 4 billion, and the sun would have consumed the first 2 planets already. Ha! I am thinking outside the box, you aren't, just re-telling me things i've learned in Science class....it getting annoying. But i think were totally getting off topic....so let me state this. 2012 won't be the end of the world......it will be the beginning of a new era. Things are in place properly...a few more years, and Revolations prophesy may come true.

P.S.: Revolation is the last book in the Bible that talks about a giant war, and Judgement Day.

19. Repliku Chaser

You know, Christians themselves can believe the earth is more than 6 to 12k years old because of -proof-. Give some -actual- proof to us, KHsuperfan. There's question #1. Give us real proof the earth is 12k years old.

Also, You do not think outside the box. Stop saying it. Your view of Atheists is nothing new at all. We are an evil threat to you and abomination. Next, do not throw out the Christian martyr card again. You do not have the right. Christians are the dominant religion in the world. You can't be the king and the whipped slave all at one time. In other words, you are the majority. Majority...doesn't think outside the box: You are the box. I give it to you that at least you are tolerant of other religions and examine them, but your treatment of Atheists is ridiculous.

I write this short so you will -actually read it- this time. Why is 2012 the beginning of a new era? The age of Aquarius isn't even until around 2060. So there's your second question to answer. Also, it's Revelations or the Book of Revelation... Not Revolation...which kind of is close to Revolution. I don't know why I find this typo funny but I do. =:/

20. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

(Aquarius actually begins in the year 2150). Though Sir Isaac Newton tried to come up with his own date for the end of the world, and through calculations and observation...well we don't know actually. All anyone knows is that he wrote the date "2060" on a slip of paper before he died.

Sorry, just felt I had to correct that.

Edit: Sorry, looked it up on wiki, and it's actually a more shared belief that Aquarius begins in 2600.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.