The end of the world? 2012

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Roxas is Hot, Oct 12, 2007.

?

What do you think?

1. Yes, I think the world will end on this date.

9.0%
  2. Nah, the chances are slim-da-nil.

91.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HellKitten Kingdom Keeper

We can't know for sure till it comes. My doubts are highly unlikely though. Employment is coming down and unemployment is rising, but the same thing happened last time the world was supposed to take the dirt nap.

2. khsuperfan Banned

HA!

-edited For Flaming-

3. warrior_kat_girl Moogle Assistant

i thought it was supposed to end on 6/6/06. idk but i broke my arm... did god want to end MY world?!

4. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

Leave this section, and never come back. Seriously. You aren't wanted, you aren't needed.

5. Sara Tea Drinker

Thanks, Cin...

I'm going to be watching you, PM me with any more problems, or Catch the Rain guys. *zips out*

6. Inasuma "pumpkin"

I do believe you were the one who said "I HATEatheists with a passion!"

....lol

Evolution is the closest thing to truth there is. We have concepts and idea's and proof for it. All you have is a very, very, very questionable faith or theism that runs the world for no reason. These aren't the old days; we can see past the sky now, you know. =/

Well judging from the fact you want to slap him, and you are swearing during an intellectual debate, I think you're the only one portraying anything even remotely ridiculous. :/

And calling him a Riku Replica wannabe is....omg I lol'd.

What Cin said, too. XD

7. Sara Tea Drinker

BACK TO THE TOPIC HERE!!!!!!!

I don't believe in religious stuff like that. I'm not an Athiest, but I hate organized religion. Anyway... I don't think 2012 will be the end of the world for us. Global warming and overpopulation, that will kill us.

8. Inasuma "pumpkin"

kk =P

And yeah I kind of agree. Global warming has some interesting aspects to it which if analyzed correctly can really either 1) shock you, our 2) make you feel like "...wtf?" I suppose that'll tie in with overpopulation too. Since if we populate more, we'll use more resources. Which is also a huge issue referencing to this.

9. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

Well,t he mayan "prophecy" has some basis. Mayans were amazing astrologers, they knew every 5000 years or so, The sun would line up in a way that it would have some sort of megaflare and change it's polarity, which would have major affects on earth.

Now, I personally don't believe the world will end in 2012, mostly because the mayans, who created this silly idea, didn't believe the end of the world would come in 2012, they believed that for every ending there is a new beginning, and that we need to decide for ourselves wether or not this will be a true end for us, rather then simply a new beginning.

That's where Mayan religion ties into the theory. But I've been looking this stuff up all day, and the mayans do have an actual astrological(aka scientific) basis for this. Wether or not it will actually happen, who knows?

But the mayans said from the year 1992 till the year 2012, humans are given a time to change to outstanding, good hearted people. And that would decide wether or not we would all die. I believe, we should all be good people anyway, not out of fear of the world ending, but out of love.

You could call it "preparing for the worst", but I think wether or not the world's going to end, we do need to make a change in the world somehow.

10. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Sir, I do believe I may have to throw you into a freakin' black hole.

1. Problems with your parents are not a factor to unintelligent and biased posts. If this were true, I would never be online again.
    And if you truly have something intelligent to say, it's usually something backed up by information you already know. Hence intelligence.
    ...Pray tell why you need Microsoft Word to post?

2. Prove me otherwise. Prove that the Earth is 12,000 years old. But first, a fact.
    The oldest dinosaurs are dated to the late Triassic period. That's...oh...230 MILLION YEARS AGO.
    Guess when humans came about? 200,000 thousand years ago.
    Sorry. It just doesn't work.

And from the looks of this, you need to get a new science teacher or something if they've been telling you that the Earth is 12,000 years old. =\
    You're thinking...I'm not sure what to describe it as, actually.

This will be the beginning of a new era, eh? Is this another thing your teacher has told you?

The more people we have believing that the world will end in 2012 can cause a massive panic; probably something most of us aren't interested in doing. The end will come when it comes. Even when humans are gone from Earth, be it from our own mistakes or otherwise, the planet itself will probably be here.
    When we say "end of the world", are we talking about the human race or the actual, physical planet?

Apologies if I seem extremely blunt today. Just not in a very good mood.

11. EvilMan_89 Code Master

actually i read in quite a few times that global waming might not exist. it might just be a temporary climate change. i read in a book that in the 60s or 70s ppl feared Global Freezing actually. the global temperature was apparently lower than usual during those times and ppl panicked, it might just be the same thing again except Gobal WARMING.

i suppose if it were a reality (which is possible) it could kill us, but it wont' happen before 2012.

12. Repliku Chaser

Actually you are right and I stand corrected. I looked it up and I am horribly dyslexic so 2600 was supposed to be there probably instead of 2060 which I read it as. At any rate, thank you for correcting me. =:) I do like to have my facts straight. Dyslexia hates number order worse than anything.

I'm almost sorry I missed my being flamed. Ah well. Any way, back to the point. The Mayans are what everyone bases the year 2012 off of and I am still not sure the Mayans didn't have to stop what they were doing because of the way alignments works and mystery but also the fact that the Spanish occupation arrived. In the end, I think we are fortunate to even have the calendar at all considering how much the Spanish did to destroy a lot of culture in South America. I do agree that just because they did stop the calendar, even if intentional, that like the Egyptians did with their studies, it's a sort of era. It may not mean the -end- of humanity but rather a change to Mayans and unfortunately we cannot ask them. So people interpret the 'end' as in the end of all human life. Therefore, and also because it rests somewhat on religious beliefs as well, I am reluctant to buy into the thought that all life as we know it would cease to exist in 4 years. We'd have to have some serious events that were man made and instigated to see this happen or some climatic alteration of our planet somehow by nature and as of yet I don't see either transpiring unless humans get really stupid or there's some comet headed our way.

As for global warming, there is a problem with it as consistently we are losing sunlight and yet at the same time still remaining warmer than the planet should be. The scientific documents I have studied rather intensively do show that the heat we are getting from the sun itself is going in a natural slope downward but we are remaining pretty steady in the last few years, especially starting at 1950 onwards, which is the beginning of the industrial rage in many parts of the world. This is not to say industry is bad, but the problem seems to be the actual carbon dioxide we have been accumulating and also the steadfast rate we lose trees and do not plant new ones. Plants get rid of carbon dioxide so deforestation, not just by industry but also by farmers etc, in the rain forests and other regions does have an impact.

However, I do see a trend even in documents that shows global warming is not really as bad as environmentalists make it out to be. We are, despite what they say, moving more in a straight path than actually going up dramatically. I expect sooner or later if we go by the past, that we are more in fact headed for a dip in climate than a rising in global temperature which may happen because of the tides of the ocean with icecaps melting etc. It's very hard to predict though what will happen because of the changes we've made and also how the earth has behaved itself. We can look at 'past' records of the last several thousand and even million years but I can also see that the world changes and evolves as we do. Therefore it kind of leaves me with a sense of 'we just don't know'. If the climate dips though as it seems more likely to do, we all may be having to adjust a lot of the way we think and live. If it rises, we must compensate too. However, I doubt really 'substantial' change is going to happen in 4 years time even if scientists are not clear on whether we will rise in temperature or fall. I'm not seeing this as a means of our destruction in the immediate. .... This isn't to say though that I would not like to see us move off of fossil fuels, which since the 1950s seem to be part of the problem.

The other thing I'd note that seems to be connected to the global warming scare is actual radiation amounts have increased on the planet. This can be partially what attributes to more cancer victims today as well as the fact we live a lot longer than people did even a hundred years ago. The nuclear testing, incidences like Chernoble and the depletion of the Ozone have somewhat marked us all and that may be an area we need to research more clearly. Though radiation increasing is a bad thing, this also I don't see as being something that is going to end the human race unless we are stupid and push the big red buttons around the globe. At least not by 2012.

So in the end, I don't think that 2012 is really significant but to the Mayans and there seems to be a lack of proof to show whether the Mayans intentionally meant it is our obliteration or it is a 'change' as the Egyptians had said about ages. At this time, I'd have to say no, that I do not think this date holds any real validation. If I'm wrong, I suppose in 2012 I'll get some nasty messages here until our internet dies. If I'm right, well let's have a party. whee ~

13. khsuperfan Banned

rawr rawr rawr

^_______^ I liek pie

14. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Well khsuperfan, all I can ask you is why you're so certain Earth is 12,000 based on exactly what you just said. Were you there? Were you? You weren't. So stop dissing it. It has carbon dating, fossils, all of the things needed to really show how old the items found from those time periods were. Including the use of half lives(not sure exactly how that is spelled. Been a while since I was in Bio).

Btw, stop asking people not to ridicule you so violently, whilst your swearing at them. Remember: this is debate; not ostracize, yell and criticize each other.

Oh and your link doesn't work. I'd be willing to take a PM or just repost it. =)

15. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

It's been fun khsuperfan, seeya later. ^_^

16. Repliku Chaser

Why do I keep missing his flames!? I am always too late. You are too quick, CtR!

Any way, it seems we may never know why the earth is supposedly 12k years old even as we have tons of evidence that humans have been around for far longer than that. I was curious on the answer.

17. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Yeah. He just yelled and moaned about stuff a lot. Nothing was really there anyway.

And considering human DNA has dated back to .2 million years... 12k is far too early. It just wouldn't make sense to progress that fast, imo. =/

18. Repliku Chaser

Considering we have archaeological evidence to support Homo Sapiens have been around some 250,000 years ago and the earliest skull I think of Homo Sapiens Sapiens (which is us) I believe is 130k years old around, the 12k count even if he doesn't want to consider other former links proves that we've definitely been around longer. I <3 archeology. Modern day humans moved to Europe around 35k years ago.

19. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Not just archeology, just science in general. xD

But then again, we can't use science to explain religion, and vice versa.

Yet science still has the physical proof, like Darky said, carbon dating, radio...thing. I forget what it's called...something like radio dating. Sends radio waves into the ground to see how old the fossil is.

For all we know, though, the Earth's core could be overheating and expanding slowly. That would eventually end with the planet's break up, though it wouldn't be in the next four years.

20. Mythos Banned

To Da LOSERZ

khsuperfan was right....your all the losers!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.