The Writer's Family {3} ~ The Grimoire

Discussion in 'Forum Families' started by Ars Nova, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arch Mana Knight

I might try again tomorrow. 8D It was rather entertaining for me.

Just got something to post here for people who have trouble naming characters and stuff. I'm sure some of you have seen/heard/or used a name generator before but if you haven't and have gotten stuck with no idea how to name a character or place, here's a good place to get ideas from.

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-name.php There's a few options to choose from and sometimes character names could serve as names for locations...but most of the generators are a bit too over-the-top for my tastes.

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=adname

and

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=evilsoundname are my personal favorites. ^^

2. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

May I join the family?

3. Destined Working for WDW

...why is my name devoid of this list.

4. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Hot damn, we're starting to get some traffic!

Welcome to The Joker and Guardian_Soul, and welcome back, Destined.

I added a new section based on Arch's contribution: writing tools. I'll probably go through my bookmarks and expand on it soon. Again, like the exercises, please feel free to put forth anything that helps you get the creative juices flowing and I'll add it to the main page.

5. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

Traffic traffic traffic taf**** I was hit by a car. Full stop ends the bad pun.

I've been vacillating on whether I should join or not, but I've stopped as you can see and have decided to want to at least give this a shot. That said, I probably won't be the most active, friendly or useful member.

Also, I was reading through the first post and I thought I'd say that random name generators are probably a bad thing for mature writing. Names need to have meaning in my opinion. It's a waste of words when they can only serve one purpose. Sure, some people go overboard with it but I'm willing to bet that giving a character a meaningful name makes it deeper and overall better, especially if you want to use it as foreshadowing or just an extra confirmation of characterization. That said, I hate symbolism, so double usage isn't always a good thing I suppose. Eh, just putting it out there. Don't have to listen if you disagree.

That's it. Does this count as like a job application or something?

6. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Welcome to the family, Jiku. And don't worry about your activity level... We've kinda been spinning our wheels anyway. Most everyone drops by to sign up, maybe drops off a story or two... ._.' Yeah.

Thanks for the input. I was kinda thinking that about the name generator once I tried it out; I'm glad I wasn't the only one. It's not my preferred style, but maybe some people will find it stimulates them to create their own names.

7. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

I'd like at least to try on my days off. Break the pattern! Fight precedent! Watch me do just what you described.

On the topic of name generators. I took a look at it and actually agree with what you said just here. It's not a do it for you tool so much as a spark to your fuel type if you use it that way and I can see it being genuinely useful and time saving in such a situation. Never really thought of that before. Thanks.

8. Chevalier Crystal Princess

Hello Family, I've been on vacation. But I'm still here.

I'd like to say that I'm beginning to return to writing, but it's been a slow process. I had a major block, or something to that effect. I'm just here to add some suggestions.

More than anything, I haven't been the most active one around, but it's not like I haven't thought of anything. In fact, I'd like you guys to contribute to the guide that's in the Creativity Corner. If you have anything, or you think of a section that could be added or upgraded, then I'd like your feedback.

I'm still trying to remove the rust, but I'll think of something.

9. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

We're crawlin' along, slowly but surely...

Anyway, I just wrote up a little dilly on my newly-christened blog about symbolism, specifically the water-and-fire life-and-death parallel present in many works. I reversed the typical symbolism, placing fire as life and water as death. You can find it here, if you're interested. Enjoy, and please give me feedback and let me know what you think of it if you read it, either here or on the blog (or both, if you're feeling generous).

10. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Nova's Papier-Mâché Brain Maritime on the Brink of Destruction Holiday Erotica Corner

The name of your blog has to be the sexiest thing I've read. I will edit this post later with my opinion.

11. Rissy Queen of the Clouds

Could I be part of this?

I had an idea for a sort of 'writting' contest of a sort in this club, like have a theme for a certain month of the year.
    We could enter our stories, and see how they sound to others.

How does this sound?

12. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Thanks for reading, G_S. Hope you liked it. I guess I'll know soon.

You're on the list, Rissy. :3 And I like your idea, but I thought the writing section of the forum already does something similar... Oh well, I guess we could run another one out of here. Perhaps we could have people nominate a few different themes and then vote on them?

What does everyone else think about it? Please let us know if you have any ideas.

13. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Btw do you lot plan what you are writing? Do you just write what comes into your head, have a rough plan in your mind or actually plan on paper (or on a computer)?

Just curious because normally I don't plan at all, I sometimes have a rough idea where I want it to go but I don't write anything down. However, this time I've tried to make a clear plan, including character profiles, pictures of characters and landscapes, and plot line.

Also, I've read your blog, Nova and it's really good. I like the way you've reversed the normal ideas and shown all the different aspects of them through symbolism. Also the title is just awesome.

14. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Sorry for being late on giving the criticism Nova, it completely slipped my mind.

For a "little dilly", I really liked how you wrote this. I think the way you compared life to a burning fire and death to static water was done very well. I also liked how instead of fire being the nice and benevolent good and water being the nasty and menacing evil, there was balance between the two like yin and yang and that fire can be dangerous and that water can be pleasant at times. So overall, for something that you wrote as the spur of the moment kind of thing, I liked it. Keep up the good work.

EDIT: This family needs to be more active. I'm all up for having something like a theme of the month like Rissy mentioned.

15. Arch Mana Knight

I plan what I write out. I just haven't had time to write anything lately. For one story I have character profiles in a seperate document which includes pictures of what I would roughly imagine my characters to look like so I can stay consistent if I decide to describe them. I keep most of my ideas in my head but sometimes I go with the flow until I find a suitable thing that works for bringing the story to a close. @-@ I've only finished one story so far. Three more are still waiting for updates since like...three months ago or so.

16. Chevalier Crystal Princess

I dislike this idea, to be honest.

We already have a theme thing, and it's pretty consistent, if only somewhat deserted. I don't think doing a monthly theme thing will work, considering how it hasn't worked before. If we are to focus on participating in a monthly theme, it should be the one that's already in the Creativity Corner.

As long as we have slow activity and the CC is also on that receiving end of the slow traffic, then I suggest we place our efforts on the Creativity Corner instead of just staying inside. If we are to get new members and all, that is.

I do have one idea...

It works out in a similar fashion to a collaboration, and it's pretty simple and easy. One person starts a story, and the next person continues it. Not only does this provide insight into the different styles, it can also create some interesting mixes, as well.

It could be a first person story with different characters, or a third person story. It can have POV per person, too. It's all up to the person. How does that sound?

17. Aura Goddess

We basically did that with the last thread, but it never went out as we hoped it would. People usually never participated and when someone would come up with an idea to bring the family back to life, it died quickly afterward.

It might work, but only if this thread was more alive and if we had probably a few more people. I don't know. Although, I do believe it might not go as much as we hope it will.

Depends on the person, pretty much. There's only one actual story that I have planned things out. Everything else, I just went along with it and wrote whatever might have come to mind. I'm trying to be a bit more organized with my ideas, stories and everything else, but I usually don't plan things when it comes to my stories. Trying to but...yeah.

Haven't we tried that before? Like, in the old thread? I'd probably be willing to try this out, but I haven't written in probably two months because of personal issues that have been distracting me. Kind of the reason why I rarely participated in anything in the old thread. Plus, I'm not too fond with my writing style.

18. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Glad y'all liked my blog post <3

I kind of experiment with both. I like to try at a structure when I'm working on something big, but sometimes I've just gotta write what's on my mind and see where I go with it. I feel like many of my best ideas come from the spur of the moment, but I also usually end up filtering these through a structured approach to create something greater and more presentable.

Yeah, that's been my concern for a while... We do need more connection to the CC. Consider it a work in progress. I don't wanna rule out the idea of having our own theme as well, but it would be smart to test run it with the pre-existing structure.

Hm... Well, we all ought to have a rough idea of what direction we'd be taking from the outset, I think... but I'd be up for it if we got a few people interested.

And how did it go in the old thread? Think we could pull it off now?

19. Chevalier Crystal Princess

We can do anything. We can pull off anything we could want, the problem lies within how much motivation and effort we're willing to cooperate with.

Of course, once we get ideas on the table, we should be able to interest more people. Let's just hope this one doesn't die, it would be a shame. Once we think of a good batch of activities, we can then start enjoying the fruits of our labor.

The collab thing should be a short story, ranging from 5-10 substantial chapters, and we'd need to know how will it be written. We don't really have a set plot, but a theme, and tone should be followed. The tone can actually fluctuate, but nothing too exaggerated.

20. Rissy Queen of the Clouds

It sounds interesting, as long as the main theme/mood isn't a stupid one. We'd all have to vote on one mood, I think. To make it enjoyable for all instead of being stuck with what the first writter chose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.