Thinking About Going Back To College

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by -Xero-, Oct 11, 2016.

1. -Xero- Twilight Town Denizen

I've been seriously debating on going back to college. I've gone before to try and get my basic classes done at North West Vista (a community college) but ended up dropping out within 2 or 3 months because I didn't like it.

Now I'm wanting to go back and try and get a degree in either Game Art & Design and/or Animation. The school I'm looking at is the Art Institute in San Antonio. I know... it's the Art Institute; but I literally have no other options. This is the only school that I can go to in my city that will teach me what I want to learn. I've tried looking up other schools and there aren't any other ones really...

I've talked to a guy who was a customer where I work about the Art Institute and he said "Yes, it's way too expensive for what it is. But it's not a bad school." He went on to say a few other things like everybody he's known that went there got a job right off the bat after graduating pretty much or got a job because they were in school.

The only reason why I'm hesitant about going is because of how expensive it is. I think it costs over $17,000 a year; maybe more. I can't remember. I've asked my grandmother about helping out with pay she said since I dropped out last time I would have to pay for my first semester, which is fine. I'm pretty sure my mom is fine with it because she keeps telling me that I should go back to college.

My boyfriend keeps telling me to do it. He's very supportive about the whole thing, which I appreciate very much. I'm just not sure... I'm afraid of going and then not liking it and then dropping out again.

Does anyone have any thoughts and advice?

2. jackdaniel0 Twilight Town Denizen

This is understandably a very tough decision. I can see why you´re nervous or unsure of what to do, since last time you decided to enroll in a school you dropped out. But this is something you have genuine interest in, right? In that case, I think it's better to do it now instead of go on the rest of your life without atleast trying.

As for your financial situation, since this is an art school you're going to, surely, you'll pick up some tricks that might help you make something like a commission page? Or maybe even a patreon. There's lots of ways of making money online nowadays, and since you have a school dedicated to stuff that can help with that, I think you should give it a try. Maybe even start commissions now and build up some money before enrolling?

Whatever decision you decide to go with, I wish you good luck!

3. Sara Tea Drinker

There's patreon and comission. I visit Deviantart a lot of the times and artists post on Patreon for their sponsors and then a few days later post it on Deviant.

Another recommendation is Financial Aid: There's several programs, including FAFSA. *look it up if you don't know, it's no loan, they go by income of how much you and if you're dependent, your family earns and give you an amount based on that with no strings attached, though the form is a ROYAL pain in the ass* Scholarships, work study... There's a lot of options out there.

Also: Universities, and colleges: Give you an advisor to sit down and help with your decision making. Even if you don't know what you're majoring in, they will arrange an appointment with you and talk to you about your options. In my university it was MANDATORY it sit down with your advisor once a semester to sign up for the classes. Without his approval, no matter how early you signed up, you couldn't take any classes. They really can cut it down, especially when it comes to classes you've already taken.

Classes also can be dropped: The earlier the better... They'll give you full to half of your money back depending how deep the semester is in. This really helps when you got a class you don't like. *I dropped out of my philosophy class after my first time, the guy was a religious nut who spent four hours trying to convert us* You have to probably take a different class to meet the requirements later, but you don't have to stick with a professor you don't like for a short time.

Online classes, ITV and many other options are very available now. I know the universities are hiring out of country professors to teach classes via online to reduce their costs. If you think it's really expensive, see if you can go for an online degree, it's a lot cheaper because of lack of overhead. One thing about it: You still have to run their schedule, they expect things due and you HAVE TO HAVE A GOOD INTERNET THERE OR CLOSEBY!!! I took two classes online and my computer crashed three weeks before they ended. The library allowed you to use a computer for 30 minutes if you were lucky and it was a ROYAL pain in the ass to finish the classes. I did, but it's something to keep in mind.

Think about your options, look further into it if you think you should and go for it if the success rate is high. I have heard good things about both of them being successful. If you're really aren't sure, google about the careers and make a decision there, how much is a salary for them? Is there a high demand compared to supply of people with an actual degree? I jumped blindly into my degree and regret it even now. This is something to consider.

And good luck. =3 I hope it works out for you.