Implemented Thread Prefix Suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Amaury, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

I think it would be nice if we had prefixes for the following sections:

• Feedback & Assistance
      Prefixes: Pending, Approved, Rejected
    • Site Assistance
      Prefixes: Unresolved, Resolved
    • Technology
      Prefixes: Unresolved, Resolved

Thoughts?

2. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

Yellow is never a good idea. Ever.

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Wouldn't really work because the prefixes are added before someone submits a thread so they can't really know if the issue will be resolved, accepted, etc. There've even been cases where someone would suggest something, but it would have already been accepted; they just wouldn't be aware. The only way this would work is for staff to go back and add prefixes to all threads with their current status...which seems like a whole lot of work for a little reason.

4. Misty gimme kiss

Well it wouldn't have to be retroactive, I suppose.

5. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

The Gaming subforum has this feature, and as useful as it is, I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented elsewhere. Off the top of my head...

Movies & Media, being an obvious conglomerate of media topics, could probably use some. Perhaps one for film & one for television? Or animation versus live action? I don't know, this one's open for discourse.

In the Literature section, I usually see at least a handful of threads about comics making the first page. I was thinking we could have prefixes for Novels (or Traditional Prose, but that's kind of a mouthful), Graphic Novels, and Webcomics. And possibly one for Poetry? Less adamant about that one, it isn't discussed all that often so it'd probably fall under misc. or prefix-less.

It's not a big thing, but I figure it's not that hard to implement, and it can help draw members' eyes to topics they'd be interested in.

6. Plums Wakanda Forever

The Radio subforum, RP Arena and The Chorus subforum all have 'em too. o;

That being said, I'd be cool with implementing some more. Movies & Media and the Lit section sound good to give them to. Of course, also want to avoid giving them to things that might not need them (e.g. SpamZone and such), but for any sections you guys think could benefit, I don't see much of a problem.

7. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

The only thing I'm not 100% on is an animation tag for M&M; the Animango/Disney subforums kinda have that covered, to the point that animation threads that don't fit under those two are pretty scarce. And of course I mentioned that poetry might not be worth it. Other than those two, consider my vote cast for all the ones I mentioned.

8. Plums Wakanda Forever

Donedone.

Keeping this thread open, though. If you guys see some use for a certain prefix, just post here and I'll add it in.

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I think they could be used in Feedback & Assistance and Site Assistance as well.

Feedback & Assistance:
    • Approved - Suggestion approved
    • Rejected - Suggestion not approved

Site Assistance:
    • Resolved - Problem was resolved

10. Hiro ✩ Guardian

^This could help keep it a bit more organized, so I +1 this

11. Plums Wakanda Forever

Ehhh, Site Assistance doesn't seem too useful? Resolved threads are typically locked, so it'd just be redundant to lock it and then add a prefix, lol.

Feedback & Assistance is debatable. When approved/not approved, the threads are typically updated into the Suggestions Index sticky. I'm not exactly sure if it's up to date or not, though. However, I could see it being useful for people who just wanna click and glance at all approved/rejected suggestions. It'd definitely take a lot longer than updating the sticky, but it could be worthwhile, soo I'd be cool with adding it + giving it to the old threads.

So I think I'll wait for some more input from you guys on the Feedback & Assistance one before I go and add it.

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

Don't you need Admin CP access to be able to add prefixes? XD

13. Plums Wakanda Forever

Super Mods have a watered down version (which is why we have to be Pin Slaves Givers).

14. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Spoiler: Plums is Oswin and can hack anything.

15. Chevalier Crystal Princess

To offer some insight. The index is not up to date. I stopped working on it because of the messed up coding. It doesn't have approved suggestions. It does have more categories than a simple prefix, though.

That said, I think the prefixes would be good for members, since you would just click the prefix and see all the approved/denied. But that means a mod would have to add the prefixes AFTER the fact.

16. Plums Wakanda Forever

Yeah, this was one of my concerns since it'd be a lot of going back, lol.

But overall, suggestions don't really at all too frequent a rate, so it shouldn't be too much trouble updating them at the end of each week or so. I'll add 'em in before I go to bed.

Edit: Added.

17. Plums Wakanda Forever

18. Amaury Legendary Hero

@Plums: Had an idea. This is what I had in my OP, but what if we got rid of Pending? Threads with no prefix would be pending suggestions (and I think that would make the threadbit look a little cleaner since there wouldn't be prefixes all over the place). In addition to that, maybe add a Lack of Interest prefix, which would be used on suggestions that went unanswered for a month.

Thoughts?

19. Plums Wakanda Forever

I disagree, I think that having Pending helps to track the pending suggestions more efficiently, as they can all be seen in a single place as opposed to endless page turning till you find one you like. Additionally, adding Lack of Interest would still effectively have as much clutter as there is now.

All this is still up for deliberation of course, and if anyone has further input I definitely say to post it, but that is currently my stance.

20. Amaury Legendary Hero

I failed to think of that, so good point. I agree.

In that case, my idea just changes to adding a Lack of Interest prefix.