Support Tips for Making Let's Plays?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ReverofEnola, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Misty gimme kiss

We have tried to urge you towards a custom built desktop, but if that's not the route you decide on, knowing the advantages, that's okay. You'll just have to be more specific than that for us to help you. A Lenovo desktop? Laptop? Tablet? And then, so we can look over the specs, we'll need the model name/number.

2. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I haven't recorded anything in months, but that's because school and work take a priority over other things, but from what I've gathered after skimming (and I do mean much skimming) you should be able to do fine with an elgato, laptop, and a decent microphone or headset. I got about 30 or so videos into my first let's play before stopping, again because of school and work which take priority, but whenever I get back into it, I'll still use this crummy laptop for it because it gets the job done. I can edit it on Sony Vegas and manage to do a fair amount for what I need. Some LPers like to go all fancy with their videos, but I went for more of the simplistic info without getting all fancy...mainly because I didn't know how to add it in Sony Vegas. Also, you did mention the lag with an elgato right? Mine does that too, and in the manual it should have told you that there's about a 2 second lag between what happens on the screen to the recording on the computer.

3. ReverofEnola King's Apprentice

You know thank you so much. Your post in this thread really brought in a lot of encouragement for me. i was really getting worried whether or not my goal would even be accomplished after reading all the comments everyone has told me in this there.

I was glancing over at these two:
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/erazer/x-series/x315/?gaming#tab-tech_specs
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40-80/?gaming#tab-tech_specs
    So a Lenovo desktop and laptop. I also don't see myself building my own PC yet until I'm further along in this LP career. I just want something that can get the job done for now.

4. Misty gimme kiss

If you choose to go the desktop route, I wouldn't recommend the Lenovo you linked. It's using an AMD A8 as the processor, which is sort of a combination of a CPU and a GPU (graphics card). Now that's fine and fairly typical on pre-built desktops, but I would only really recommend the AMD A-series for extreme budget builds, HTPCs, and laptops (I have one in my laptop actually). You can get better bang for your buck at that price point. The $600 model listed here, for example, offers an Intel i5: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/lenovo/h-series/h50-intel/?sb=:000001C9:00012D34:
    If down the line you want to beef up the PC a bit, you can probably drop a dedicated GPU in there, which will boost your performance gaming and doing video stuff.

The $650 laptop doesn't look bad either. Desktops offer advantages that we've already stated in this thread, but it has decent specs. The one thing I would worry about is that it has a 5400rpm drive which can bog down gaming and rendering. That said, it's fairly typical for laptops to feature that. Again, down the line you can always consider popping a faster drive in there or even an SSD (or SSHD).

The desktop is better than the laptop, but if you need a laptop for the mobility that's okay.

5. Iskandar King of Conquerors

They're completely horrible if you ask me, but you can always look at the videos I managed just to see what I managed and if that's what you are looking for or not. There's a few problems, but the first LP is always a little iffy.....but mine is more likely because of my scatterbrain XD and not fully understanding the technology yet

Also, I would just like to point out, look around your room where you plan on doing the let's plays. It's best to have all your stuff near each other and possible to connect them. My desktop is technically right next to my tv and game systems, but the cord itself can't reach the desktop, so I'd need to use my laptop anyways, so try to plan out where you'd have everything and what can fit. If you need, there's always cables to extend reach, but see what you can do first before buying cables that you might not need. Where are you outlets? Are they close enough you can use? If not, and you're using a laptop, will the laptop be fine with battery use? How much do you plan on recording at once?

6. ReverofEnola King's Apprentice

Dude I fail to see how your LP was bad. The quality of the video was amazing and you were capable of putting the video in HD. So basically once again your videos help encourage me to start this. Plus, most of my materials are already close to each other.

I can only use my laptop since my Chromebase isn't capable of doing this. My laptop is also always plugged in and I plan to record for a little over 10 minutes for each vid.

Wait do I still need these high specs for computer even if I'm just going to do LP's on my consoles?

7. Misty gimme kiss

Not as high. Think of it this way: if you were doing an LP of a game you were playing on your PC, you'd have to not only run the game but also your recording software. When you're doing an LP of a console game, the console, obviously, is handling the load of the game; your PC only needs to run the recording software. That said, recording software can be intensive, and when you go back to edit the footage, your system specs will affect that and the rendering time.

Both the laptop and the desktop linked will be able to run capture card & video editing software just fine; one will do it better than the other, but again, if you have mobility concerns, a laptop is a fine option.

8. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Did I have a link to my LP videos somewhere I didn't know about?

9. ReverofEnola King's Apprentice

Found the YouTube videos you connected to your KHVIDs account and figured that was your YouTube account.

That's what I thought. I wasn't going to use my channel to play computer games and I am not looking for one that does both that and record your games. I just want a computer for the editing, recording, and audio.

10. Hayabusa Venomous