Support Toshiba Canvio external HDD disconnects & reconnects constantly

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Hayabusa, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Hayabusa Venomous

So I got a 1TB external finally, to install Steam games and move recordings and such.

But for whatever reason, it constantly disconnects after a span of time (that I haven't yet figured out exactly in length) and then reconnects. It works perfectly otherwise, but I'm afraid of not being able to use it to play games off of.

For what it's worth, I'm connecting the USB 3.0 external hard drive to my laptop's USB 3.0 port, and I've set my Power Options to never turn off the Hard Disk while the laptop is connected to a power source.

2. Misty gimme kiss

Have you changed your Power Options to not turn off the hard disk or the USB? The hard disk settings cover only your internal hard drive, not any externals -- if you scroll down the list a little, there's a separate spot for USB settings. You can disable USB selective suspend there.

power.png

3. Hayabusa Venomous

I hadn't thought of that before. So I should have "USB selective suspend setting" set to "Disabled" right?

4. Misty gimme kiss

Yeah, sorry I have it enabled. Should have clarified.

5. Hayabusa Venomous

Ah, ok. I'll try it for today and let you know how it works.

Update: 28 minutes after changing those settings, the external is still disconnecting and reconnecting.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015