Kingdom Hearts II Track Looping

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by Amaury, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Is it just me or do the tracks of the Kingdom Hearts II soundtrack not loop like the tracks on other Kingdom Hearts soundtracks, or tracks on any other soundtracks in general, for the matter?

The tracks on all the other soundtracks I have loop twice; then as they're starting again a third time they start to fade out. This isn't the case with Kingdom Hearts II. Why is this?

Here is an example of looping:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. Arch Mana Knight

I don't really know what you mean. How do they not loop like other soundtracks?

In the original KH games, before the HD Remixes, the music wasn't done with a full orchestra so that makes it pretty easy to loop a track. They're designed specifically so they can be looped. When orchestras and real musicians are involved...well I don't have to explain to you how and why looping is done if you say you've done it.

And as for your question, without really knowing what you mean by how it's different I don't know the answer. It's probably just how it was mixed or composed or you're just hearing things.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm not talking about tracks in the game, but in the soundtrack itself.

Notice how "Old Friends, Old Rivals" only played through fully once and then started fading out when it started the second time, but "The Rustling Forest" played through fully twice and then started fading out when it started the third time.

Hope this helps.

If anyone else understood what I asked, then please explain. As always, I probably did a crappy job at explaining myself. I probably did the same in this post.

4. Arch Mana Knight

Oh. I get what you mean. Usually that's just a choice made by someone(maybe Yoko Shimomura or whoever decides how long a track should be on a soundtrack). I wouldn't know what the pattern to it is though. You'd be better off asking whoever makes that decision...so you're probably never going to get a very good answer.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Haha, yeah! Someone else might know, though.

I'm just trying to figure out why Kingdom Hearts II is like this. All the other games' soundtrack tracks play through fully twice before starting to fade out, haha!

6. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

Maybe because of all the different tracks included in the soundtrack itself. Each world gets its' own music and its' own battle music. Then there's the character specific songs (Riku, Sora, etc.), the songs for the Organization, the mini game song, and the world map, piloting the gummy ship and opening the pathway songs. As Aiden said, this is a full orchestra as well. It's possible that with all the instruments, the file sizes are bigger. So they might not have been able to fit all of it into a CD and still have the two full loops.

By the way, the Ocarina of Time soundtrack also has only one loop per song.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

But all the other Kingdom Hearts games are that way as well. They have all those tracks of the things you mentioned, such as the unique world tracks, and they loop through fully twice like in my second video in my OP. It's only Kingdom Hearts II that this happens in.

Kingdom Hearts - Spooks of Halloween Town:

Kingdom Hearts II - Spooks of Halloween Town:

First game's loops twice before starting to fade out, while the second game's loops once before starting to fade out. However, the second game's loops twice here, but I think this is just a fan-made one:

8. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

You have to remember that KHII has almost twice as many worlds as KHI. And if you go to Wikipedia the total run times of the two soundtracks is pretty much the same (1:13:54 and 1:12:25 for KHI disc 1 & 2, 1:14:28 and 1:14:19 for KHII disc 1 & 2).

I've burned a few CDs and most of the ones I used hold about 80 minutes of music, which is about what these discs have (about 75 minutes of music per disc)

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

Personally, I like the two loops, so they could have spread the tracks across three or four discs. Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance have three discs.

Also, looking at that page, the Kingdom Hearts Complete soundtrack, which contains Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts II, has the Kingdom Hearts II tracks loop twice (so that second Spooks of Halloween Town video I posted probably wasn't fan-made).

10. Jin うごかないで

I get where you're going and I agree, Kingdom Hearts II's OST's were well done, and didn't repeat.

Although Yoko Shinomura has done great with the more recent games, I believe it maybe because the games were always so rushed, BBS came out so fast and so did RE:Coded. 3DS's OST's didn't seem to course over for me but I didn't really focus on any battle music within 3DS mainly I liked the Young Xehanort fight's OST but that was basically a mashup between darkness of the unknown & mysterious figure's ost.

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

I wasn't really asking if you liked or disliked the OSTs?

12. Jin うごかないで

Forgive me for my abundance of opinion oh great one.
    [​IMG] I still answered the main question didn't I?

13. Amaury Legendary Hero

Not really? At least from my point of view.

What would being rushed have to do with it?

14. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

To answer the question, yes, I noticed the tracks on the KH2 OST do not loop like the other soundtracks. HOWEVER, if you listen to the KH2 tracks on the Kingdom Hearts Complete OST that was released in 2007, the tracks actually do loop (just search a track's name plus the words 'complete ost', and you'll see what I mean)

15. Amaury Legendary Hero

Yup. I mentioned that in post #9. :) I wonder why that is.

16. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Take it from someone who listens to almost nothing but game soundtracks: It varies more than you think. Usually it depends on how long the full song is, how repetitive a loop would sound, and whether or not the artist cares enough to make the tracks even in length.

KH's songs are made to loop, but they're also pretty long in comparison to other looping songs. Most Square soundtracks from that era (or any era, really) occupied a weird space between sweeping orchestral tracks and short, punchy MIDI tracks, which meant they tended to fudge the rules of both.

17. Amaury Legendary Hero

Oh, yeah, definitely. Although the only other soundtracks I have that don't have looping tracks are some of unofficial ones I have like Dark Cloud.