Kingdom Hearts II Two English Versions of Kingdom Hearts II?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by Amaury, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

When Donald casts magic, he'll say either "I got it!" or "Hah!" and when Donald supports himself, he'll say either "Okay!" or "Yeah!" However, here when casting magic, he said either "Hah!" or "Okay!"

Other noticeable things:
    • Past Pete made some weird sounds.
    • Donald stayed in perfect health the whole fight.
    • Goofy didn't say "Somebody come quick!" and "I've had it, fellers..." when falling into low health and being knocked out, respectively, just his receiving knock-back damage cry, "Oooowaaa!" I assume it would have been the same for Donald if he reached both those points in the video.
    • At the end of Fantasia (Comet Rain), Donald says "Hah!" rather than "Take that!"

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Well, there are the PAL and NTSC versions, but beyond those I can't think of anything that might have had any differences. There might have been a Greatest Hits version too, but I'm not sure.

3. Explode Who?!

The command menu appears to be in Italian, so I guess it's possible that the scripting for battles is slightly different in the European versions. Maybe they wanted to keep the talking down to a minimum, and stick with short, recognizable phrases, since the audio is in a foreign language for them, and there are no subtitles in battle. That's my guess since they completely took out Pete's transitionary stage shifting dialog ("How's 'bout a change?").

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

I just thought of something: If this is the Italian version, why didn't they translate the battle cries like all other translations?

Oh, and it's transitional. Transtionary isn't a word. :p

5. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Cheaper to use English voices and keep Italian text rather than getting an entire Italian cast.

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

It's probably not only the battle cries, then. I wonder if that means that all cutscenes were silent and text only.

7. Dredica SNES was the best.

You mean English with text only, right?

8. Antidote Façade

The different language versions i.e. French, German, Italian have English voice acting with subtitles in their native language. Not sure why they decided to mix the battle voices up, though.

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

Actually, it seems to be only the Italian version.

Spanish:

French:

German:

As you can see, all of those were fully translated in their respective languages and therefore no battle cries needed to be removed or changed around since they were fully translated. In the Italian version, because it was in English, at least the battle cries, as I haven't seen actual Italian cutscenes, as @iwantedtoexplode mentioned, they used short, recognizable phrases.

"Okay" is a pretty well-known phrase used across all languages (Spanish, French, etc.) However, something like "Somebody come quick!" isn't.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  10. Antidote Façade

Oh, well I stand corrected. I wonder why they would go through the effort of dubbing it in those languages and specifically leave out Italy, and if the same happened with other foreign speaking European countries.