Unpopular music opinions

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chad Thundercucc, May 24, 2014.

1. Ty Traverse Town Homebody

Bumping this because I find this to be a rather interesting topic. I feel that most people base their music opinions off those of others, and in turn "join the crowd," if you will.

I personally am a fan of Kanye's. I honestly could give a **** less about his personal business; he's paved the way for the modern day hip-hop artists we all praise now. Everyone in hip-hop recognizes his talent, and it's deserved. Other than Yeezus (good album imo, just a Death Grips rip-off), all of his albums have been very progressive in whichever genre he dives into. 808s & Heartbreak and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy are still two of the best albums I've ever heard.

2. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    That... is not an unpopular opinion.

3. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

This more of a cultural thing than a mass opinion on the artist.

I must be the only Mexican-American out there who doesn't care for Selena one bit. I understand that she bridged a gap between two cultures, but I still don't find her all that interesting. And yet people worship her like she's The Virgin Mary. I mean, the movie with Jennifer Lopez isn't that good, but that movie is in everyone's house down her!

4. Trigger hewwo uwu

death grips weren't that good and only had 2 worthwhile albums

also a lot of people seem to hate jazz music but i love that ****

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  5. Hayabusa Venomous

I think what most people dislike is specifically smooth jazz. At least for me, that stuff puts my ass to sleep. The more energetic stuff, I quite enjoy.

6. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I don't listen to much jazz if at all, but when I had to play it I absolutely loved it. To me playing it is a totally different experience.

For the record I played trumpet for over 10 years :D

7. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Lana Del Rey's Ultraviolence is a bad album in my opinion and it's why I switched to Marina and the diamonds please don't kill me

I also don't care for much "normal" music, tbh. Most genres are crap and I prefer the few songs that do stand out, but I honestly prefer anime/video game music in general.

8. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

I find it funny that people refer RAP and DUBSTEP as MUSIC.

9. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Because it is music, just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it is automatically "not music".

10. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

But it's not imo
    I don't like county. It's actually music. Dubstep by itself is awful IMO unless it's mixed with another style of music. Like what KoRn did and Metal Gear Rising.

rack city b**** rack, rack city, b****. = same sounding beat with the same repeating 3 notes. Not to mention lyrics.
    *wub wub wee woo wee woo* = noise (I'll just freeze my N64 cartridge to hear it)

11. Hayabusa Venomous

To be fair, this is a thread about unpopular opinions...

12. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

You're allowed to have your own opinion about certain genres. I don't care about that at all, however its a tad bit ignorant to call an entire genre "not music".

13. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I love dubstep. I love electronic music of all sorts.

14. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

Kanye is the greatest, he continually shifts the direction of popular music (especially and more specifically hip-hop) while also broadening the reach of the umbrella that is the hip-hop genre, constantly adding new sounds to its repertoire. Also I persoanlly don't see Yeezus as a Death Grips rip off, there's a lot more going on there.

Wow you used Rack City as an example of why you don't think rap is music good job you deserve a cookie for listening to the radio because it's such a proper representation of every genre and not a corporate machine designed to force feed people with bottom of the barrel tunes.

15. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

*insert 2 words here* and repeat.
    sorry don't get your panties in a bunch, cupcake.
    I mean I like a little of the classic rap like LL Cool J but modern rap is awful imo.

16. Hayabusa Venomous

On the subject of Kanye: I can appreciate and enjoy some rap ("Stronger" is pretty decent to me,) but I find the song "Bound 2" one of the most terrible examples of hip-hop I've ever heard, and I don't think I'll ever find him "revolutionary" or "genius." Very much hit and miss to me.

For reference: rap artists I can find stuff that I enjoy include Wutang Clan, Eminem, Jay-Z, and Mike Shinoda to name a few (yeah I know, mainstream stuff, whatever)

17. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

Excuse me for thinking your opinion is not based in much actual knowledge or experience with modern rap.

One thing you can't take away from Kanye, I'd say, is his revolutionary influence on popular rap. You can really argue that he does set the trends that become the norm for every other artist. I can go into detail, but I doubt you really care.

18. Hayabusa Venomous

Well, I am interested in having it explained, cause at the moment I don't see how he's revolutionary? I have tried to listen to more of his music but I just don't care for most of it. One thing I heard a fan say that made sense was "You have to imagine yourself as the person when he's making himself look good."

Keep in mind though that rap is not my go-to music lol. I do like a little here and there is all, and I'm not ignorant to think stuff on the radio is representative of the genre (God forbid someone do that with rock and think it all sounds like Nickelback.)

19. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

Basically if you really get down to it the sound of popular hip-hop music and arguably the majority of hip-hop as a whole follows Kanye. Kanye started out as a record producer and produced for some of the biggest artists of the 90's and is credited with shifting the sound towards soul samples, then he became a rapper and solidified that by dropped his first album which is considered to be great by pretty much everyone. Then with his second album, Late Registration, he built on that sound by adding a lot more orchestration to it and then he did the live show Late Orchestration where he really went all out with the live instruments. Then you've got Graduation where he went for a sound more electronic based that he sometimes called "Stadium Status" and at the time no rap sounded like it but afterwards hip-hop shifted more towards where it is now with its heavy draw on electronic based music. Graduation is where he sampled Daft Punk and made the song Stronger. Also fun fact, the music video of that song is based on Akira. Then you have 808's and Heartbreak where he used auto-tune and made a very emotional album with almost all singing and no rapping. At the time a lot of people hated it but one of today's biggest artists, Drake, says that album inspired him a lot of that release is what opened the door for more emotional and honest rappers to come up such as Drake, Kid Cudi, Childish Gambino and many more. Then there was the whole Taylor Swift VMAs incident and after that Kanye decided he had to win back the public so he made My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and to this day that album is still being hailed as on of the greatest albums of the decade/century. Its still topping lists from major publications because its considered to be perfect/nearly perfect by a lot of people. Then he made Watch The Throne with Jay-Z. Two of the biggest rappers of the time doing an entire album is monumental. Those two albums kind of built on the sounds and styles of his last few albums, perfecting them in a way. Then he made Yeezus which literally went the exact opposite direction of Dark Fantasy. It starts out really abrasively and all the sounds are just rough. He says its the equivalent of giving people an unfinished album, the whole thing is dark and really experimental up until the last song Bound 2 which brings back the soul sampling he was originally known for. For a mainstream rap album to sound the way Yeezus did was extremely confusing and people are still torn about it. But now you can hear that Yeezus sound creeping into a lot of up and coming hip-hop artists, once again proving that Kanye is a trend setter.

have fun reading all that

20. Hayabusa Venomous

I did actually. Guess it goes back to the mind set I have about people starting trends: you don't have to like it to respect its effects. (knew about the Akira thing too)