PC Valve and Bethesda enable monetization of Skyrim mods

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hayabusa, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Hayabusa Venomous

Forbes link.
    Plenty of other sites have covered it.

2. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    And within 24 hours people were already exploiting the system. Good job, Valve and Bethesda. Good job.

3. libregkd -

4. Hayabusa Venomous

34,000 signatures against paid Skyrim mods in a day.

I'm totally OK with modders getting paid for their effort, but there are just too many issues with the current system. I knew it was a bad idea right from the start by looking at how poorly Greenlight is working for Steam's quality control, and of course remembering how long it took them to label Early Access games properly. The issue isn't rooted by Valve or the people making good mods that are actually worth some money, but by the people who will utilize Valve's weak control of a market to get a quick buck of lazy work or, worse, someone else's work.

Hell, just now I saw, for review (as in, you can't buy these yet, and THANK GOD):
    -Elucidator (the protagonist's weapon from Sword Art Online) [$0.75]
    -Rubbish! Bucket DLC [$1.49]
    -Extra Apple [$29.99]
    -Steam Main Menu Replacer [$0.49]
    -Micro Transactions [$49.99]

This group pretty accurately shares what I find wrong with the system:

The worst part? You have to make at least $400 in sales before you, personally, get a cent of it, and that'll be $100. A fourth of the profit. Again, only if you sell at least $400 worth.

Personally, I don't think Valve or Bethesda deserve any cut of these mods. We already bought the game, and the DLC. Millions of us did. Do they really need to profit more off of something they're not putting any effort into creating?

If this were a system to promote the sale of really high quality mods on Steam and if it were actually well implemented, I'd be for it. As of right now, I'd rather have nothing.

5. libregkd -

6. Hayabusa Venomous

7. libregkd -