Dream Drop Distance Voice change option possible in future games?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.8: Final Chapter Prologue' started by Shikou, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

I've been wondering about this for a while, recently some video games have the voice change option. What is this you may ask? A option to change the voices of a video game from English to Japanese. I've played some games that have them and most of them happen to be anime games (Naruto and BLEACH). Most people prefer the Japanese voices because some English voices dont put enough emotion into voice acting (a small number do).
    Could something like this be possible in future Kingdom Hearts games?
    How about keeping Japanese songs in versions outside Japan?
    What could be the harm? Square left the Japanese song for The 3rd Birthday in the English version.
    And before you ask, no Im NOT a weebo or what ever its called Im just curious.

2. Rhiscx Banned

Omg, this would be awesome. I have always wanted such a voice changing command in Square's games. I would support this 100%!!!!
    And, I must admit, sometimes the Japanese cast just sounds better, and in some games *cough BBS cough* more believable.

3. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

Japan has our English track in their international versions of their games with a lot more content which is like a spit in face to the fans and them saying "Haha! Our version is still better then yours!" *cough* Final Mix and Dissidia Universal Tuning *cough*
    What is really the harm in Square doing this anyway? It is starting to get popular.

4. Llave Superless Moderator

Totally up for this. I think this is a great Idea, not only will it benefit Japan, but the other countries as well. It would give us an opportunity to experience the Japanese game without having to buy one.

5. Iskandar King of Conquerors

peronsally, I think I would just stick the the English Cast. I wouldn't mind if we had the Japanese voices speaking english, but watching a video enough times in japanese with me having absolutely no idea of what's going on would drive me insane. Or at least include subtitles. That might make it a little better.

6. Llave Superless Moderator

Well... I would assume that would be a given. In other games with this function, that's how it works out. Some even allow you to change the language of the subtitles. So for instance, you could have it be English with English/Japanese subs, and visa-versa.

7. Rhiscx Banned

Both statements above are right on the money. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever understand the logic behind their madness.

The last I researched (please don't ask for article, I can't remember) They didn't want to make FM versions of the games was they were "afraid they would lose profits". Apparently, they believed because it was a few slight differences, nobody would bother to buy "the same game" again.

Personally, I believe that is a lot of bull, and I just think they could not post the obvious that Japan's Square executive simply did not want to share the profit with US.

8. ♥♦♣♠∟uxord♥♦♣♠ Banned

You mean like the option to change the language and stuff? Like in the Disgaea handheld ports? Not a bad idea but I'm sure it's something I'd only do after beating the game.

Wait? What song?

9. Llave Superless Moderator

I agree, Almost everyone I know that plays KH, would die for a FM, and bilingual integration would up that ante. I fail to see how they don't see that. After all, there is a large fanbase outside of Japan. (This site is a testament to that)

10. Rhiscx Banned

Oh absolutely. And that becomes the issue. As much "profit" could come form releasing the FM and bi-lingual versions to all fans, loss must added to the equation. It takes a great deal of money to make the product, ship the product (multiple countries in play here), and creating deals with the product sales is also in there. Ex: the KH art book the UK received but not the U.S.

11. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

Subtitles/Captions are always in video games no matter what so I wouldn't worry about it. For example, in Europe versions they have the audio in English (sometimes the audio is in a different language depending on the system and what language the system is in) and the Subtitles/Captions are English, Spanish, French, and German(I think there are more but I cant remember at the moment).

Exactly my point, most people are irritated of getting a Japanese systems to play them because of the region block nonsense (To my knowledge PS3 games are region free and same goes for PSP games including Japanese PSP games from the Japanese PSN store.)

The ending song for it called "Eyes On Me" by Superfly

12. Rhiscx Banned

Everything is correct on that, except for the PSN store. You have to go through some kind of process if your like American and wish to get content only on the Jap PSN. Ex: KH Leon outfit for Dissidia 012.

13. Llave Superless Moderator

That just doesn't make sense to me though. You would think that that they would get SO much more profit...

... Do not get me started on that again... (So friggin' pissed.)

Yeah, plus it's not like it hasn't been done before. They get FM, so you would think it were possible at least to go global intentionally.

14. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

FM, Universal Tuning, and many others like that are called "International Versions" anyway.
    What would be the harm when they would get SO MUCH if they release them that way around the world with many other languages if they can. Once you buy a product you are supporting EVERYONE involved in the game.

15. Rhiscx Banned

I have a theory regarding that question. I'm just a little tired to post it now. Shoot me a VM/PM if wish to hear it. But yes, I too wanted my hands on that book. It would have looked beautiful in my collection...

16. Llave Superless Moderator

That's true.

Not only would it be opening new paths for marketing the product, but I'm sure it could in some way expand the fanbase with new fans.

Of course, I can understand why they probably wouldn't make that now, with all the projects they are working on.

17. Arch Mana Knight

I'm completely against this for one big reason.

Disney characters.

Nobody can convince me that Japanese Donald Duck, Goofy, Mickey, etc. would sound better in Japanese. Face it, this series isn't all about the original story. We'd be spending a lot of time with Disney characters. >>

18. Llave Superless Moderator

I forgot about that... It does seem very terrible now that I think about it. After all, Disney characters where originally English speaking characters, and thus the voices would seem awkward in other languages, especially Japanese...

Of course, that's why it would be ideal to have an option to change the language in the customization, that way, you can choose if you want to hear it in English or Japanese.

19. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

I knew there would be someone against the idea but in your case its an exception because your not one of those people who say "This is a horrible idea. Games must stay 100% ENGLISH!" I've encountered one of those people, they are a bit annoying. >.>
    Im guessing your referring to this. :Awesome:
    To be honest I have no idea how they would understand Donald without the captions. >.>
    [video=youtube;8yvzv8ZZIf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yvzv8ZZIf0[/video]

Most of my family speaks Spanish and Spanish Dubs of Disney movies are a bit weird for me to watch because Im way too used to watching them in English. As for them in Japanese the songs sound pretty.
    [video=youtube;xDsNSwDiWYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDsNSwDiWYo[/video]

20. kingdom_hearts_loverXX Gummi Ship Junkie

Hm I think that would be an intresting feature to put in the game, although games that I have that do incorporate the voice option I usually leave it on English anyway wouldn't want to read it unless im watching anime. I'd test it out though just to know how it would sound in Jap.