What to Buy

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Iskandar, Jun 10, 2011.

1. VentusRoxas Merlin's Housekeeper

2. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Oh yeah... I almost forgot about that issue. Well, why not try looking for an update or another version of WMM that's compatible with the projects you're working on? There's always the off chance that a patch has been issued for such problems.

3. Iskandar King of Conquerors

well, we just ran an update last night, so maybe there was something for it there.

4. Mixt The dude that does the thing

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-movie-maker

There is the official link if you want to try the reinstall. And there is also the link I gave earlier for WMM6 (an official one doesn't exist, but I used that with no issues). I'm not sure if the WLMM files will work in WMM6 though.

And no, uninstalling the program will not do anything to your saved projects.

5. Iskandar King of Conquerors

well that's good. But he said it was fine, since there was no harm, but I didn't want to do anything stupid. You'd be amazed at how I can mess something up when it's so simple

6. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Welcome to the club, brother!

Well, why not try installing WMM6 and making sure they're compatible before you try uninstalling WLMM.

7. Iskandar King of Conquerors

why not sending me back in time before I install from a third-party? My dad is as stubborn as can be. If it's not from the microsoft website, he won't let me install it

8. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Valid point. They are two separate programs.
    What anti-virus do you have? I can almost guarantee that you can have it inspect the file before you install it. I usually do that if the site is official or not.

9. Iskandar King of Conquerors

we use Peer Block and Microsoft Security Essentials

10. Mixt The dude that does the thing

It sounds like your Dad is a Microsoft junkie so I'm not sure if he'd be willing to switch. I tend to avoid using Microsoft for security. I wouldn't call them bad, but yo can get quite a bit better while still being free. avast and AVG being the top two I recommend.

But I digress the link below is for Microsoft Safety Scan (Note: Something along these lines may be available in Security Essentials. I don't know). If you download the file and then run the scan it should prove there isn't a virus before you install. For the especially paranoid then you might want to run another scan after the install.

11. Iskandar King of Conquerors

he's not a Microsoft junkie, he just goes with what he thinks is the best. He knows someone else who uses a bunch of protection programs and he's also gone through a few, so he knows what's good and what's bad

12. Misty gimme kiss

Security Essentials is an excellent anti-virus, I use it myself.

But if you'd like to scan the installer before you run it, find where you saved it in Windows Explorer. Right-click and choose "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials..."
    [​IMG]