Support What to use to stream

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Iskandar, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Iskandar King of Conquerors

So because of all the streaming going on with Twitch that everyone does here, I've been wondering if maybe I should try. I have no idea what any sort of stuff I need, so I was wondering what I would need. If I can stream on my laptop, which is a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5514, if that makes it easier, and I have a Xbox 360 that I can play on. I don't know anything specific, but if it's like cables or something I need, anyone mind telling me what I need?

2. Misty gimme kiss

Streaming PC games doesn't require any additional hardware, just a program. It's rather simple, though you should make sure your PC can handle running both the game and the streaming software at the same time. The most popular program to do this is XSplit, though OBS is also quite popular.

Streaming from your consoles will require you to buy a capture card. Speaking generally, a capture card will take the video output from your console (likely over an HDMI cable) and transfer that via USB to your computer. From there, you can record or stream the footage. Most modern capture cards will also have a video output, so you can still watch/play off your TV (the computer display will have lag). It's worth noting that this will run you around $100 to $200 for most capture cards available these days. SD capture cards are significantly cheaper ($35 - $70), but then you're obviously limited in quality.

I've written up pretty extensive posts on the different capture cards available on the market today. This was my most recent post on the subject, and it's still up to date as far as I know. Make sure you read the note on HDCP, though that only really applies to PS3 owners (and PS4 but that's going to change in an upcoming firmware update). If any of those products catch your eye or if you have additional questions about them, feel free to ask.

After you purchase your capture card, you'll use software to stream or record. Many capture cards also come bundled with their own unique software. Some are better than others, but if you don't like the one that comes with your capture card, XSplit or OBS will probably work fine (depending on what card you buy).

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One both have their own internal streaming/recording features, eliminating the need for most gamers to buy capture cards. However, these console-specific solutions have a lot of limitations. I still use my capture card with my PS4 and I have no intentions of changing that. I don't think you have either console, but I bring this up just because I don't want anyone to think that capture cards are obsolete items.

3. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Yikes, I maybe only got about half of that. I'm not good with the computer talk, so you have to put it in dumb words for me to understand most of the time. But basically you're saying I need a HDMI or USB cable to connect my Laptop and 360, and then buy a capture card that will most likely cost nearly as much as it did for a 3DS? Ok, well, what, in regard to your knowledge, would you say works with a xbox360? I know some PS3's, if not all, can record themselves, since a friend did it, and even I did it for a minute, but I know our 360 doesn't have that capability.

But how does the capture card work exactly? I mean, you say I need the card, and the usb, but wouldn't that mean I'd still technically need some kind of hardware? Though I guess it's not like a giant computer when you think about it.

Edit:.....ok, I read your post (fine, I scanned it. I'm sorry, but big technical talk like that I don't get. If I understand the stuff at first or later, that's fine, but I still stick with smaller words XD), but I could probably go for that Elgato Game Capture HD, since you say it works with practically anything, or Roxio if I want something a little cheaper. But 30 or so bucks, if I find something in the right range, isn't too big a deal if I save up with the next paycheck or so.

But what's a good way to find out if the laptop is okay to stream and handle all that stuff? I gave my laptop model in case someone like you who knows their stuff wanted to look it up and see what it's about, but I don't know if it can fully help

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  4. Misty gimme kiss

If you want to post your laptop model info I can have a look at it. As long as you're not trying to stream like... new games at max settings you should be okay.

Here's a basic diagram:

[​IMG]

An HDMI (or other display) cable goes from your console to the capture card. The capture card sends the video signal to your TV, so you can watch and play on there, via another HDMI cable. The capture card also sends that video signal to your laptop, from which you can then stream or record.

Basically, you'll need a capture card if you're looking to stream or record anything off your Xbox 360 or PS3. Handhelds get into fuzzier territory, but if you tell me which ones you're looking to stream off of I can give you solutions for it.

5. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I posted in the OP, but I'll put it here again; I use a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5514. I know there's like a specific way to bring up on your computer to post all of your specs, but I don't remember what that is, since I never did it before, and it takes a monster's worth of info. But if you want to bring it up, what would I want to record from a 3DS? I doubt I'd do that any time soon, but I was starting to think about it last night.

While I'm thinking about it, would that Elgato Game Capture HD work with a PS2 as well? Or would I need something a little more old-school?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  6. Fearless A good and beautiful child

Can I use XSplit for just straight PC recording, or do I have to be streaming?

7. Misty gimme kiss

Your laptop should be alright, mine overheats when I record sometimes but I solved that by just buying a cooling pad.

The 3DS is very difficult to capture off of. @Mixt may be able to provide you more info, but a standard capture card sadly won't do it. The Elgato can capture off the PS2 if you use component outputs, or if you buy an additional $10 cable.
    You can do both with XSplit.

8. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Ok, I figured the 3DS might be a bit more tricky. After all, it took long enough just to get good quality footage from it. Still, I wonder how let's players have no trouble now getting good quality footage, they make it seem so easy.
    Plus it's good news that I can use the Elgato on the PS2, since a lot of games i wouldn't mind streaming are on there. Plus, you said it has a recording ability right? So if-and possible when-i buy the capture card I could make walkthroughs as well if I wanted?

9. Misty gimme kiss

I don't know too much about 3DS recording, it's possible that it's developed a lot since I last looked into it (which was two years ago). But yes, with the Elgato and any capture card you can stream and record.