What's your view on Scottish independence?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by BeatleManiac, Jun 12, 2013.

1. BeatleManiac Merlin's Housekeeper

And if you live in Scotland, are you voting yes or no? I'm voting no. I'll hopefully put up the reasons, tomorrow, as I'm about to go to bed, and don't have time to, at the moment.

2. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Wait, there's an actual vote on this? Funny, never thought this would be as big as, say... Quebec trying to gain independence. Now I'm not British, so I have no opinion on this. But I guess voting is the best way to settle this. If people want to be independent or not, it's ultimately up to them to decide.

3. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

If Scotland wants to be independent then I say more power to ya'. I see no reason why they should be disallowed to become independent once again. It's their choice as a nation. I, as an American, have no right to vote on the matter as I do not live in Scotland. The choice should be up to them and them alone. I don't think it'd be right for anyone outside of Scotland ground to make a vote on such an important matter. Especially if it's a one-sided vote, as that would make any of the Scottish's votes unimportant. Live and let live.

4. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I think it's ultimately their choice as everyone has said, I would be sad if they do become independent because I love the country. I live in England and I suppose i don't know enough about it but I know the English are stereotyped as being arrogant which I hope isn't the main reason for their desire for segregation.

I suppose I don't know enough about what implications it'll have on society and the like. The one thing I do know is to go to university in Scotland costs if you are not Scottish but is free to the Scottish community- I always found this a sad idea but there wasn't anything I could really do about it except complain but of course it's their choice, their freedom. If they did become independent then would you need a passport to cross the border? Will going there be exactly the same as going somewhere like France (for someone from the UK) or will getting into it remain the same? What changes would be made?

Also, when will this vote be concluded?

5. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

The actual vote will be on the 18th Sept 2014 and I believe Scotland would officially separate 2 years later (I think). And regarding the education, I believe its due to Scotland having a separate Education system than in England. If it was free for everyone in the UK then I think everyone would go for a Scottish uni rather than paying for an English one.

I find the whole thing a waste of our money, money that could be better spent else where. Its a cheap, opportunist tactic by Alex Salmond to gain independence by using the Tories gaining power as a way to sway Scottish voters. He paints this image that the streets will be lined with gold and that we'll become wealthier outside the UK...I honestly don't see how he can achieve this considering, in the past 2 or so years, we've been getting more money from Westminster than we have been giving. People in Scotland have this image that the Tories are some sort of tyrant (And after Maggie Thatcher you can understand why) and being free from them will benefit us. And yet Alex Salmond wants to join the EU. He even stated Scotland would automatically be accepted which was quickly proven untrue. So he's 'freeing' Scotland from one 'tyrant' and putting us under another. And as it stands the EU isn't the best thing to be part of. At least as part of the UK we're somewhat protected from the EU.

To me, it seems like Alex Salmond does not have this planned out. What's going to happen to education? Will we still keep the pound? Healthcare, taxes, travel...none of this has been sorted and there's only a year left till election. He expects to get his own way and everything will be hunky-dory afterwards. It won't. And none of this has been properly conveyed to the public. He's a clever man, I will admit, but this government isn't suitable to lead an independent Scotland.

6. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I'm glad you have your priorities straight xD I suppose I won't be able to say I'm from the same nation as David Tennant....

Anyway, I knew that it would cost if I went to university in Scotland while the Scottish got it for free, it makes sense as then the English would be flocking there for free education and it would increase competition so much.

So, this man hasn't thought things through or is just terrible at communicating it to the public. If Scotland became part of the EU then it would be very strange- England and Wales would just be sitting there is between them xD

So is this new desire for independence brought about when the Tories returned to power or was it there beforehand as well?