Kingdom Hearts II Why Hasn't There Been a Critical Mode as Cool as KH2's?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by A Zebra, Feb 1, 2013.

1. A Zebra Chaser

Seriously, I've finally gotten the chance to play KH2 Final Mix recently, and I always found KH2 easy, so I set it to Critical this time.
    I was expecting it to just be a difficulty buff/HP halving affair, but they actually seem to have put effort into this one, with all the awesome abilities you start off with and the 50 extra AP. The re-balancing has made this my most enjoyable romp through the game to date (Though Limit Form may have helped a bit :3)

2. Airi Ban King's Apprentice

I really liked the critical and critical level 1 in kh2fm. Even critical level 1 which was quite hard (can't even remember how many times I died xD) was very fun. Comparing that to the only other ciritical (level 1) I've played, DDD, it seems to be better. I just find it to be really fun and a good challenge. Then the regular critical also seems rather fun. I just felt that it was done right in kh2fm.

3. mindstorm787 Gummi Ship Junkie

The reason why no one has created a critical mode as cool as KH2FM? Its because people are serious tryhards. Its going to be pretty amazing to see how the tryhards react to KH3 (and hopefully, KH3FM)

4. 61 No. B

KH2FM is just gold all around.
    I think part of it is that KH2FM is just a better game than all of the others.
    It's been a while since I played KH2FM, and from what I remember the critical mode wasn't too difficult. Sure it had it's hard parts, but everything else wasn't too bad. Critical mode is supposed to be like a special challenge for players who feel they are ready for it, the critical mode on more recent games has been exponentially harder than what I remember from KH2 (re:coded) so it's likely that they felt like upping the challenge. Though for me, I would much rather have a critical mode that rewards you for playing it's challenges, than a critical mode that makes you want to kill yourself. It makes the game less fun if it's so hard you can't progress for long periods of time. I understand that the point of critical is to have a really hard game, but KH2FM did it right.

5. A Zebra Chaser

See, KH2's critical mode made things harder: you have half health and MP, and enemies hit harder... but they gave you advantages as well, and not minor ones like in BBS where you have two extra command slots, but legitiately worthwhile bonuses.
    Later games got the 'hard' right, but left the fun behind

6. 61 No. B

you don't get two extra command slots in bbs, and you do have your health halved.
    but i do agree with your last statement.

7. A Zebra Chaser

you start off with two extra.
    in the end you have the same number, but you start off with an extra two.

8. 61 No. B

oh i see, i thought you meant that you ended with 10.

but yeah, those two extra slots don't help at all, not that critical on that game is any hard. in my opinion bbs has the worst critical, theres almost no point to it. the only difference I noticed after playing proud was that you had less health, but the difficulty seemed the same. re:coded was the opposite, it was insanely hard but it gave you nothing.