Why is homosexuality considered so taboo?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Rho, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Rho Twilight Town Denizen

I'm completely straight, but this bugs me.. why do so many people think homosexuality is a taboo subject? Lots of people won't tell their kids about it until they're old enough for "the talk", and in kids/family shows, people get angered when there's a moment on the border of homosexuality (i.e I saw a comment about an iCarly episode where two girls kiss lip-to-lip by some mother who was angered that the scene was there. And if it was a guy and a girl, she'd probably be fine with it.. bigot)

Why is this considered so taboo? It shouldn't be treated any different than heterosexuality is. Makes no sense.

2. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

Hmmm well first off I would like to say I am happy Icarly is trying to expose kids to the real world. We have so many heterosexual couples in our literature and tv that it's not even funny. Snow white, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, ect. The lack of display of love between other sexualitys is enforced by older members of society who find it abnormal. The older members have rarley, if ever, have seen it. They proceed to spread their prejudice to youngsters, and then the youngsters become officers, teachers, ect. This makes it hard for equality to spread.

Some members of the forum remember when I was a homophobic, right-fundlementilist, christian. It took me over a year to confront my prejudice as a bad thing. One day I went to a store and bought this Chakra kit, and on one section it told me "To find what I fear the most, and to conquer it.".
    After a day or two I came over it, and never have I felt better.

Now if you are talking about where some christian fundimentalists get the idea's of homosexuality being evil here is the verses that would tell you why:
    Leviticus 20:13
    "If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."

Romans 1:24-32
    So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.
    This passage plain out digusts me, and is one of the very passages that I read during the last week of my faith. Each night I prayed asking God if this were true, but then I recieved no awnser. Every night I grew madder and madder until I broke away from Christianity. I knew now what was right and what was wrong, and I pointed to the bible saying "You are wrong God". In my mind I wanted God to say the passage wasn't true and then I soon relized that
    my imagination was God.

3. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

4. Repliku Chaser

I do agree that in time hopefully people will learn to treat homosexuality and heterosexuality similar. That in the end, they are both 'sex' and so we need to teach kids about safe sex, regardless of if it's same gender relations or opposite gender relations. The less people are informed, the worse things seem to get.

Of course, this is going to take a while for religious zealots to get used to. Some zealots really don't want ANY sex education classes taught at all and sex in itself, whether straight or gay, is all taboo. These people are constantly screaming that abstinence is where it's at and you don't have sex till you're married and they toss out silly promise rings so that fathers hold daughters in bondage. Good stuff. When dealing with people like this, you aren't going to be able to explain homosexuality on even ground because to these sorts of people, sex is bad unless you are married. There are quite a few people that believe in it too. Also, since these people don't believe that homosexuals should have rights to be married, because reproduction is what sex is about to them... yeah, that just makes it worse. The people you'd have to win over would have to also learn that sex in itself is not a taboo, and that's a hard war to fight but I believe in time it can be won. What's ironic is that nearly any person I've known who was a 'preacher's son or daughter' turned out to be rather promiscuous, though of course, I hear about the 'good ones' too. In the end, the thing we can assuredly do is teach our own children as we have them and they come of age, that homosexuality and sexuality in itself aren't bad. There are aspects that are, concerning not hurting others emotionally, protection versus stds and pregnancy, and age issues, but these also can be instilled in children as they age. The more the younger generations teach and pass on to others, the more accepted things become.

5. Misty gimme kiss

Because biologically, it doesn't make sense for a man and a man (or a woman and a woman) to be together sexually. Most of us have heterosexual parents, grew up seeing heterosexual people on the television, etc etc. It becomes the norm for us.

But things outside of the norm frightens people. Homophobia transcends religion -- you can be an atheist and still be repulsed by homosexuality. Sure, religion does tend to frown on it, especially Christianity (I haven't really studied any other religion, so I can't speak of them), but to attribute people's fear of it entirely to "what the Bible says" is inaccurate. People are afraid of homosexuality because it's different.

Personally, I've never had much of a problem with it. I couldn't really imagine myself ever being that way, but hey, to each one's own, right?

6. Styx That's me inside your head.

Well, you're (unwillingly) keeping the taboo alive yourself:

I wonder why, in any topic regarding homosexuality, it is so important to state the way you roll first before making your point. Why is it even relevant whether you're straight or gay? Isn't that too part of the taboo?
    This isn't just Rho, on the contrary, it is quite common. I myself have probably done it. But it made me wonder.

7. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i do that too, i believe it's done to show people that i'm not just some offended idiot and that i want to discuss things intelligently. though that can be done without mentioning sexuality, but i think if you're straight it just establishes that point more quickly. that's just what i think though, i could be wrong so correct me if i am.

8. Styx That's me inside your head.

So it's to show that you're not biased on the subject? Maybe you're right. Thanks for replying.

9. Cicada Killer Destiny Islands Resident

Well it matters to each person a lot of people who hate gays/lesbians have what you call 'homophobia' also in some reglions(sp) 'god' looks down on it or something like that due to the fact it is 'dirty' and 'unholy' so to speak. And people don't normally make sense, why are people racist and sexist? I don't know but it is what makes up us Homo sapiens... We all have a mind and belief of our own... Making us sometimes corrupt or pure at heart and I feel like some sort of preacher now, ugh. EDIT: funny thing is with taboo is those people who thing it is cool and so you also get gay/lesbian posers who do that to seem 'hot' or 'sexy' and some people thing that is what a homosexual is, a poser (which is BS if you ask me) though I have my doubts on there ever be a world where all are equal... I is quite sad really- and =<​

10. Rho Twilight Town Denizen

And this is why religion is such crap. Stuff like this.

Religion just has no benefits. It just causes more violence and hatred. Hopefully in like 500 years or so, mankind will have evolved past the point of relying on religion, wether it is Christianity, or Atheism, or Buddhism, or whatever. Only in a world without religion can we realistically hope for a world with total peace. Especially when it comes to violent ones, like Muslims. (I'm aware not all Muslims are violent)

-ahem- Anyway..
    There's just no reason why it should be treated at the same level as sex or stuff like that when it comes to little kids knowing about it. People just need to realize that they're in 2010 now, and it's not something unusual anymore.

I was told for several years when I was younger that a gay person was "a man who dresses like a woman". :/

Not just iCarly, but Victorious as well (with one character having a confirmed full-on gay family member). Then again, Dan can get pretty much ANYTHING into his shows.

No way in hell that's real.

1) Not even Sarah Palin could be that stupid.
    2) It's Uganda. How the HELL would they have a laptop like that?
    3) Again. Look at that room, look at the stuff there, look at how poor Uganda is.

11. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

If you are an average follower you don't have to think about mysterys and therefore are alot more happy.
    -_-'
    *Sigh* Atheism: The idea that there is no supernatural forces. No Gods, no force. No BS. Atheism is not a religion, it is a lack of it.

Lmao.
    Here is my idea.
    1) He is probably spreading bullshit in order to get more money.
    2) He got the laptop from generous donations.
    3) Green screen jk. Donations.

12. Rissy Queen of the Clouds

I don't have any problem against Homosexuality, I think it's more natural then anything. People have the choice whether or not they like that certain type, and they can stick with it; or change. It doesn't bother me at all.
    iCarly is a child's show. They have a lot of what Teen's are thought to like, when my 10 year old cousin watches it religiously. She love iCarly and to see two girls kiss on TV; could give her ideas, maybe even put some fuel to the fire in her head already.
    It's a scary thought, but I think we all go through it once in our life. Maybe some absently just shrug it off, but I think we all have a feeling of it once in our life.
    I think our generation has a lot of leaneage for this sort of thing also, because I tell my parents from time to time about a feministic boy in my school, or a boy-ish girl in school, and they would say "When we were in school, that guy/girl would be picked on, beat up, etc."

13. Captain Hero Hollow Bastion Committee

To put it shortly, because the Bible says that loving a man is sin. I'm just paraphrasing, I've never read the Bible. I'm certain it's worded differently, but the main reason is religion and people not being able to accept people the way they are.

14. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Oh it is. Uganda plans to put forth an anti-homosexuality bill outlawing it and making homosexual behaviour illegal and possibly punishable by death.

15. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I saw that iCarly scene.
    I remember thinking "Oh ****, did Nickelodeon really just show that?"

My sister loves the show. She's 9. I wasn't worried about her seeing that, I was shocked that Nickelodeon showed it.

As much as I hate to say it, yeah, it caught me off guard. I've always considered myself pro-gay rights, but I still see it as unnatural (yeah, I'm aware it animals do it), I can't help it. I was never told it was wrong while I was being raised, but I definitely caught on that it wasn't normal. You say family, I think of a mom, dad, and kids. I don't think of two moms or dads. I don't see anything wrong with homosexuality (hell, between us, I'd wouldn't mind getting a piece of Ryan Reynolds or Justin Hartley), but I do see it as different.

I think it's because of how gays and lesbians portray themselves as the opposite sex. Those flamboyant guys in the bootie shorts and high voices or the girls that seem a little too manly, know what I'm saying? It just seems different.

Religion has some say in it, I wouldn't put the whole blame on it. Maybe the majority, but not all of it. If I remember correctly, most of the anti-gay verses are in the Old testament, which most Christians don't follow (Of course you have the hypocrites who pick and choose the parts they want to listen to though), while the New Testament doesn't really have that many verses against it. The ones I've seen don't even specifically say "homosexual" except for the newest translations (which I chalk up to bias in translating) or even "man who lies with man as a female" or whatever. But yeah, religion can take some blame, just like that site "God Hates ****." Not all religion or all of the religious are like that. Unfortunately, enough of them are that it leaves an impact.

16. Indignation Moogle Assistant

Let me start out by saying that I have no means to offend anyone.. This subject is very delicate... I'm merely stating what I believe, and seen.

Yes, the bible does say somewhere that Homosexuality is a sin... One of the worst sins you can commit against God..

Christians follow the Word of God. Therefore, this act is of course Taboo. But see, we're also not to hate people at all... No matter what... However there are some people out there, whom are christians, who condemn the homosexual people... This is where, I believe, is the problem. Both sides are in the wrong, yet they keep spewing hate at one another... Obviously that's going to get us nowhere >.>

I wont accept homosexuality... Yes it's in the world, yes I'm bound to run into problems regaurding it, but I won't go along with it. I'll treat them with kindness and respect if I meet them, just like the bible says, but I will not have them sway me to think their way is OK... Basic and simple, dont force your beliefs on me, just like I wont force mine on you.

And another thing, The school's have no right teaching kids that its OK.... It's up to the parents to tell them about it, and its up to the child to make his/her decision on their own.

This problem will be here for a looong time to come... And no matter what! Both sides are wanting to come out victorious... As always, one side is only granted Victory... Which will it be? Gotta watch to find out now don't we?

17. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

To be honest, I completely agree with the part about not accepting it because it's against God. If we're going to be Christians, we gotta be Christians down to the very T.
    However, I disagree with this part.

If the parents tell their kids about it, chances are they'll imprint their own opinions (whether it be acceptance or hatred) into their kids' minds. I feel the same way about politics.
    If schools were to teach it (my school didn't have sex ed and I can't think of any other classes that'll actually talk about it), they can't be giving opinions.
    Parents are free to talk to their kids about it. They're free to pull their kids out of any classes they don't agree with. But like I said, chances are if the parent thinks homosexuality is wrong, they'll teach their kids that.
    To be fair, schools will do the same thing, depending on the teacher.

18. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

So you don't believe that homosexuals exist. Or you won't give in to any feelings for the same gender that you might encounter.
    So basically you think homosexuality, pansexuality, and bisexuality is evil?
    Even though the feelings they feel for someone they love are no different from what a straight person feels for a lover?

So the school also doesn't have the right to say that being black is okay? Or being a girl is okay? Being gay doesn't change the feelings of love. Love is love. It is between two (or more) individuals who love each other regardless of each others faults.

The school has the right to teach the kids that no matter what gender/genders you are attracted to you are still a human being.
    If you think there is somthing wrong with homosexuals, bisexuals, or even pansexuals you are prejudice against them.

Then go stone some homosexuals:
    Leviticus 20:13
    "If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."
    Then kill adultrers:
    Leviticus 20:10
    "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death."
    Then kill me:
    Deuteronomy 17:12
    "Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel."

Do all this then you will be on your way to being a true Christian.

19. Chevalier Crystal Princess

The post above me is quite extremist. The leviticus passages are clearly for the 12 tribes of israel, as god commanded them in order to show the world how different they were. These were ceremonial laws. Abolished in the cross. Note that ceremonial laws and the ten testaments are completely different things, and it is stated that these ceremonial laws were not inside the arc of pact, but rather, at it's side.

The bible is very clear, yet the only reason I can think of is because of the fact that it defies the way a man and a woman should be together, or it just goes against the laws of god. I really don't know what else to say.

20. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

Where in the bible does it say that these laws were abolished at the cross?? If you could find me a bible verse that would be swell.