Why is homosexuality considered so taboo?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Rho, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Chevalier Crystal Princess

Hmm, that's a very good question.

There you go, oh ye of little faith xD

2. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

Wait I asked "where in the bible does it say that"; although I recall from many lessons at church that sacrifices were destroyed at the cross, but that doesn't explain the dark ages where "Witches" were burned, and other sins were punishable by death. I know that burning of witches was in the old testament. If this is so then why did Christians follow these out during the dark ages if they were out of effect?

3. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

It's considered so strange because it's just not thought of as "natural." Plain and simple. Nothing more to it. This is only a minor setback to the civil rights movement though. With some hard but simple work on the part of our generation, this can be only a thing of the past. All we have to do is ensure that future generations are not exposed to gay-bashing media at too early an age.

And quite frankly, I believe homosexuality itself to be just fine. I've known at least three gay people and one of them had a crush on me for a few weeks. In fact, one of these gay people actually believed that homosexuality in the bedroom (you know) is evil, even though the homosexuality itself is okay. Since I've known him, I've kept that belief too. So my opinion is this.
    Homosexual relationships: Good and fine.
    Homosexual relations: Evil

The way I've learned about Atheism is that it is simply a lack of a belief in God(s.) Thus the term. A- for no and -theism for god(s.) Look at Buddhism. Buddhism, by the nature of its beliefs, is an Atheist religion.

4. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

Actually Buddhists believe in a supernatural force called "Karma" that runs the rebirth cycle. As I have said before Atheists neither believe in Gods, or supernatural forces. Therefore Atheism is not a religion, it I a lack of it. Atheists rely on proof rather then blind faith to solve problems. Buddhism is one based on faith, not proof.

Calling atheism a religion is like calling "Not-collecting-stamps a hobby", or saying that "Not smoking is an addiction".

5. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Except I know several atheists who do believe in the supernatural (Ghosts, afterlife, etc.) Again, Atheist comes from the Greek(?) root meaning God and prefix meaning no or not. Atheism, at it's purest, is the lack of belief in one particular supernatural force, God(s.)

And denying that God(s) exist(s) requires just as much blind faith and not denying it. Think about it. Faith is defined as any kind of belief, despite lack of proof for it. The only belief that Atheism is based on is that there is no God. There is no proof that any sort of God does not exist. Therefore, Atheism requires just as much faith as any religion, despite it not being a religion itself. If Atheism is a lack of any kind of blind faith, then there is no such thing as Atheism. Haven't you ever had faith that you had done well on a test despite the fact you weren't entirely sure of all the answers? That's blind faith, since you have nothing to base your faith on.

6. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

*Is bewildered, and dumbfounded*
    What? Wait. So let my get this straight( :lolface:). Having a homosexual lover is fine, but if they fortake in making love then it is evil?
    I am assuming you are pro-life on the matter of procreation. I learned many a time in biology that during ejaculation about 40 million-600 million sperm are released.
    Inside the vagina sperm can live for up to 2 days; however most of the sperm will die from the womens defense system, or from their own genetic mutations. Fertilization of an egg depends on the womens cycle. Fertilization can only take place during ovulation when the cervix is open for sperm to carry through. During ovulation the ovum(aka egg) is set in the Fallopian tube and remains open for penetration for 18-24 hours; if it is not penetrated within that time it will be destoryed.
    Only a few hundred will make it to the outside of the egg where chaparones pick out the sperms that may pass through. Those that pass through must then match up their proteins with the egg exactly in order to penetrait it with the acrosome on it's head.
    Even if the egg is succefully fertilized the main idea of "Survival of the fittest" never dwindles away. If it were not for modren medicine around 80% of todays population wouldn't be alive today.

Anyway my point is that a small percentage of people that decide not to rub their genitalia with the opposite sex will not reduce the world population dramaticly. Some gay couples can, and do donate sperm to sperm banks where other couples lesbian or straight can conceive children. We today can always do these donation to make new children, so to speak.

If this was not your reason for thinking homosexuals relations are evil please do tell.

[/COLOR]

7. Always Dance Chaser

It's taboo because it's GROSS. To straight people anyway. Seriously, when a straight person watches two gay men making out, they want to throw up. Showing it on TV isn't taboo because of the moral aspect, in my opinion it's the physical aspect-it's disgusting.

I also don't think it's okay to show things like that on iCarly. That show also makes a lot of (straight) sexual innuendos and references, which I'm not okay with because many little girls look up to that show. If it was a teen-nick exclusive show, that would be different, but it shows on Nickelodeon all the time.

Degrassi also has a commercial where they show two guys making out. There's nothing wrong with the commercial, but the problem is that it shows on Nicktoons.
    Seriously, that's not okay. I watch Avatar:TLA and other shows on Nicktoons with my little brother all the time. Then that commercial comes on, and he doesn't know what's going on, and I have to explain everything to my dad if he walks in. What the hell man, it's NICKTOONS. Degrassi airs on TEEN-NICK, doesn't it? Not that I have any problem with Degrassi having gay people (I don't believe in censorship), but showing that on a kids network? Give me a break. Honestly, stuff like that is why the older generation thinks that gays are trying to "brainwash" the youth.

8. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

And in some homosexuals aspect the idea of a girl and a guy kissing is gross, but you don't see them banning hetrosexual jokes/ refrences ideals on televison do you? Just because you find some gross, or just plain icky does not give you the right to say it can't be shown.
    If phyiscal aspects of homosexuality are banned from television then hetrosexual aspects should be banned as well.

I personally find gay and straight couples making out just fine. Well unless of course they keep doing it while I am there guest or somthing. Seriously you brought me over to see you two make out?? No, thanks.

9. Always Dance Chaser

I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying that's probably why. What's the television industry all about? Money. And since most of the viewing audience is probably straight, it's financially safe not to gross them out.
    Agreed. Sounds awkward.

10. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

Unless they came to a network to be grossed out! :lolface:
    Regardless it will take time for the public to see homosexuality as a common thing. Just as it wasn't a common site to see interacial couples on TV.
    With time the public will adapt, and hopefully the goverement as well, to shed of any prejudice remaining.

*sweatdrop* You have no idea.

11. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

My reason behind believing homosexual relations is evil is pretty much that. And I do recognize that that gays donate to sperm banks and lesbians oftentimes use the services of sperm banks. But I still believe that the actual single-sex sex is wrong. Maybe evil is a bit strong, but that's just the term that came to mind.

And when it comes to the sperm banks, I think that is wrong too because it is an unnatural way of causing a human's appearance in the world. Now I am okay with nonhuman cloning, invitrofertilazation, etc, but when it comes human life, I'm totally against it. It's like the difference between killing a puppy and human baby. Anybody I can think of would choose the puppy because the baby is human.

12. Roxas~N~Namine Traverse Town Homebody

imo, i think it's because most people have straight parents, so they think it's the default.

13. light^_^yagami Merlin's Housekeeper

I actually believe that female homosexuality is not as taboo as male homosexuality. Usually, if they are not holding hands in public or anything, then it is hard to tell if they are homosexual. But males make it obvious if they are homosexual by the way they act. They act like women and hetrosexual men believe that this is un-manly of them, so they dislike them.

14. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Speaking as someone who's brother is gay, I could tell you right now that this is absolute BS. Not all gay men act camp, although many do. And in furthermore, not all camp men are gay, look at Micheal MacIntyre the comedian, he's uber camp, yet he has 2 kids and a wife.

I will post more on this late but it's 25 to midnight and I have school tomorrow, I can't be bothered ranting about inequality and civil rights.

15. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Guys, keep this on the original topic, this is not a "does God exist" thread.

16. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

When'd I say that?

Or are you talking to other people in which case, sorry *bows to Mandalorianness*.

17. Chevalier Crystal Princess

The Catholic church was pretty whack. Catholic churches are a mixture of pagan culture and christianity, so you see they add and remove things out of the bible. Most trouble between atheists and Christians is the misinterpretation of the scriptures. The bible is a book, we humans are the ones who try to study it, so there's always bound to be some confusion.

Plus, the witch hunt was something fueled by the fear of the people. The catholic church did as it wished to maintain society under it's power.

Thus, the protestant churches emerged. Though, those are getting too diverse and distorted, sometimes.

Edit: yeah, let's keep the homosexual topic, because it's almost bordering into religious territory, even though, they overlap.

18. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

No, it's not you.
    Jedininja and IDK, stay on topic. In case you forgot what it was, look at the topic title, this is your last warning.

19. Captain Hero Hollow Bastion Committee

Completely false. That is a stereotype right there. I know plenty of homosexual guys that don't act all girly and flamboyant. Just because some do, that doesn't mean that you can generalize the entire demographic to behave that way.

And with the female thing, that's just men being perverts. If you wanted to put things in those terms, then you should also take into effect that a lot of women have gay best friends. Guys use female homosexuality to satisfy their own sexual fantasies and women use male homosexuality as a means to connect with some men and confide in them.

There's nothing "un-manly" about being a homosexual. That would be like saying you're "non-religious" because you don't stone sinners. If you want to make bigoted comments, at least learn facts and take from personal experiences. Yes, there are the blatant homosexuals that are obnoxious about it, but please do not generalize like that.

20. 9Kairi9hearts Twilight Town Denizen

My veiw on this? Because of the fact that it is unnatural, if you drag away all religous veiws, and only look to nature for answers, what does nature do? Male to female, not female to female, or male to male. Homosexuality is unnatural, it is not a part of nature.