Why is homosexuality considered so taboo?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Rho, Jun 22, 2010.

1. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Some species of fish all start out as male/female. When the time to reproduce comes around some undergo hormonal changes to lay eggs. you could say that they technically become "female" but the process reverts after that. In all, and given our limit view on the entirety of nature, it only seems that nature favours male to female pairing in reproduction. For the most part our physiology agrees with this. But as to the entirety of nature, that's a bigger fish to fry. it's a subjective value judgment given our current understanding of things.

2. Hummingbird Destiny Islands Resident

Not every straight man minds if two men are making out. It might be awkward, but only to the degree that watching anybody making out in a public place is.
    As long as the commercial follows normal standards of decency, I don't see what's so bad about showing it on whatever channel they please. It's not like kids aren't exposed to displays of affection by adults anyway - why does it make a difference if it happens to be two guys instead of a male and a female? It's this kind of sheltering from reality that feeds bigotry and ignorance regarding sexuality. You can't hide kids from the real world forever, and if some people didn't try so damn hard, maybe society as a whole would be more accepting of people who are the least bit different from the norm.
    The idea that anything that isn't natural is inherently bad is just ridiculous. I'd argue that anything that occurs in the real world is natural though I'm guessing that's not what you mean by the word. However, if you think anything "unnatural" is wrong, you'd better get off that computer of yours, skip out into the woods and start feeding on those berries and acorns.

But for the sake of argument, let us accept the proposal that because A does not occur in nature, it is therefor wrong: homosexuality still wouldn't fall under that category. Homosexual behavior has been observed in well over 1000 animal species so it most definitely does occur in nature. A simple Google search would tell you as much. Wikipedia has quite an extensive list of footnotes and external links regarding the subject:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

And I know we were supposed to lay off the religion, but I refuse to let someone set up a strawman like this and not get called on it:
    This is pure BS and shows that you don't really have any idea what the atheist position is. Atheism is not the belief that there are no gods - it is merely the position that one is not convinced that a god/gods exists. That is not the same as believing the opposite. I don't understand how you were able to define atheism so eloquently, yet completely miss the actual meaning of the word. Atheism includes everybody who does not have an active belief in a god/gods. Within that category there are sub-categories, namely "weak atheists" who have not accepted the existence of a deity/deities but are not convinced that there are no gods, and the "strong atheists" who actively believe there are no gods. The so called "weak atheist" position is often confused with agnosticism, but in reality, agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive positions. This is for the simple reason that whereas theism and atheism deal with belief, gnosticism and agnosticism deal with knowledge. This gives us 4 positions one can hold in regards to gods:

1. The gnostic theist - a person who not only believes in the existence of god(s), but is certain one exists.

2. The agnostic theist - a person who accepts the existence of god(s), but does not elevate their belief to the level of knowledge.

3. The agnostic atheist - a person who does not accept the existence of god(s) as true, but isn't entirely convinced there couldn't be one.

4. The gnostic atheist - a person who actively believes there are no gods.

Should you (or anybody else for that matter) want to discuss this in further detail, send me a pm as I'm sure the staff doesn't want this topic to get derailed any more.

3. Always Dance Chaser

Because kids see that kind of thing and think it's okay. Parents who disagree then have a hard time explaining to them that it's not. In my household, the general consensus is that we're Christians and homosexuality is a bad thing. Passing those beliefs to the children becomes a problem when stuff like that is shown on kids networks.

4. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

I believe the line is "A man shall not lay with another man". Lay is a very ambiguous word. It's simply been interpreted as homosexuality, kind of like how Islamic fundamentalists interpret the Qur'an for their violent purposes. That being said interpretations don't carry as much weight as people think.

Moreover, if god is the creator of everything then homosexuality ends up on his list of creations in some form or another. Again we have a case of the watchmaker blaming the watch for his shoddy craftsmanship.