Why is there so much violence in schools ?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by newman, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

See, I agree with all that, it's just that that no one will actually do anything you just said. Look at the President, for example. No one taught him self control and tolerance (of course, no one actually taught him to think, either, but that's a different story).

2. Repliku Chaser

Sure, but that just emphasizes my point here. Bush was raised as a 'good ol boy' in the south and when his tail feathers are ruffled, he's agitated and does stupid things. He also can't speak worth a damn, but we'll leave that aside.

It's not a matter that people 'won't do what I've just said' but rather some people do that and others still choose to live in the past and accept parental biases as their own. There are many students that try to hang out with each other and sometimes that is as much caused by diversity and intrigue as other people use diversity as a reason to fight. Some people are just darned interesting to get to know. It takes effort and I expect there will always be some form of violence in school as well as outside of it, but if each person works at it and we pass down that diversity is a good thing instead of a bad one, things can at least be more appreciated by some of us and those that want to be violent, unless they are out for extreme absolute violence, we can do what you have to learn in life after school to do any way, which is ignore idiots.

That is really the lesson school helps teach us because sometimes school can seem more a 'social' grounds than just an educational one. We meet all sorts of people in school, but it is preparation for life after which can be more complicated in some ways, but because of dealing with jerks in school, we can have an easier time generally with adults that want to be aggressive, passive aggressive or what not. Many of the more 'aggressive' people don't do so successful at life because there's generally only so far you can go on physical beating up on someone and at the same time having little talent in anything else. School is not life. It's a stepping stone to being an adult and so those 'successful' bullies usually amount to very little after school because they never grow up and realize being a thug doesn't always get you money. If that's possibly one motivational thing for others to hold onto during school, realize that and pass it on to your kids etc. Having goals, working up talents, and learning to blow most violent people off will get you farther than those who just sit around and want to beat others down.

3. Dredica SNES was the best.

Hmm...Well, not to be raceist, but I sit by this black kid, and he has gotten like 14 refferals in like the second period of the year, so far. He is really annoying always talking about how he has beaten up kids, and has exspensive clothing. Sometimes I just fell like hitting him, but I don't want to get into trouble. My mom will not stand for anything I say, she only trust teachers, even if they misunderstand things. Seriously, I am white, and I really don't get into fights, but more along the lines of, cursing, messing around, and too much social time. And what Repliku said, people do think they belong in a certain group. I really am getting sick of people always threating people. Okay, I have to admit, I am scared to death of black kids, but I feel as though I can take any white kid on.

4. lostheart Merlin's Housekeeper

Hi. I'm a black kid. And I was not mad at what you wrote. I suffered the same thing in middle school.
    I am adopted and the family is pretty much made up of white people{we have some asians and mexicans} and so I "dress" like a white kid. Tight jeans, and I actually wear a belt and I'm smart just like every other white kid. The other African-American children would wear baggy clothes, cuss a lot, and not have so hot grades.
    They called me "Oreo" and "Micheal Jackson" because I was black on the outside but deep down was white, which in turn they titled me Mike because -well think about it. It's too hard to type about it.
    Anyway, I stumbled through two years of middle school of this crap and moved. At my high school now wheere I'm a Freshman, I'm still callled an Oreo. But I've hardened my self in time to where I don't give a rat's behind anymore.
    I have to agree with Repliku. There are so many stereotypes and groups and kids these days always seem to make fun of one another beacause they are in one group and they don't understand them.
    Next time the kid messes with you, give him a good long glare that says,"Get the heck away from me." Don't say anything. Walk away. And I've noticed that those kids claim a lot of things, but in reality, they didn't happen.

5. xValorxSorax Twilight Town Denizen

I agree with you on your last paragraph. Everyone is judged by their appereance. And I think that's one reason why there's so much violence in school. People get tired of it and want to end it.
    With me, I was getting tired of being kicked in gym. So, I'm like, "Screw this", and I turned around and punched the guy who kicked me. And I got an after-school detention for it, and that's another reason. Teachers.
    Teachers, they try to stop this stuff, but they get in the way. I just think teachers should stay out of the students' business. It's their problem, not the teachers.
    And last year, I was in the Middle School, and there was a rumor about some kids going to bring guns to the High School. I don't even know why, I'm guessing someone opened their mouth when they shouldn't've. And now I'm in the High School, so much drama going on and that causes violence, IMO.
    Kids pick on other kids for almost no reason. This kid I know keeps hitting me on my chest and runs away. He does this during class when the teacher goes into the other room. I get so ticked off at him that I'm tempted to knock him out.
    Intimidation, because kids think they're tall, big, they think they can just go up to someone and just tell them off or something. I mean, c'mon, just because someone doesn't look it, doesn't mean they aren't "intimidating". Off-topic there, I'm sorry.

6. lostheart Merlin's Housekeeper

Kids act violent because the present generation was violent. And so was the present gen. and so forth. Isn't this going to end? All this crap about whether you're not cool or not, or don't believe the same thing,don't act like everyone else, don't dress like everyone else? We, as a society, as a nation, need to stop this. I know most of this feeling is human. We have a natural aversion to people who aren't like us.
    Can this end?

7. Repliku Chaser

You shouldn't fear kids of any ethnic group really. I am sure some black kids also fear white kids or have a lot of resentment towards them because of what they are 'taught' by people older who hold animosity and all. There are so many things that we can all take as prejudice, and well, I think it is more reasonable to fear the prejudiced minded person who does not research and wake up to see things can be different, but only if we change the views of those who still hold biases and predetermined fears. Whether someone is dark skinned or light, purple or whatever, it has been proven we -can- get along and the fact that children all put together of different 'races' can coexist just fine as long as they don't hear adults say stupid things shows that. Kids and anyone with a free-thinking mind should be able to learn that anyone of any race can be prejudiced and harmful, while others of any race may be totally not with that.

The kid who is bothering you is just giving in to a stereotypical group and thinks it is 'cool' to act like that. It is promoted by others around and if he does bad in school, beats up on people and all he's 'fighting the system' and 'the man' etc. Sadly, it is also making him fall behind and possibly leading him to a life where he will spend time behind bars. Maybe that can be a small comfort to you because if he does not wake up soon, he's going to really have set up for himself a miserable life. He can blame society and 'the white man' for what is going on, but in the end, he's self-destructive. I have a lot of friends who are darker skinned and though they talk the talk and wear the clothes, they are good people and aren't going out to bully people or make others miserable, to include setting themselves back. Heck, sometimes I wear baggier pants and all but that's because some are comfortable, though I don't let them fall off my rear heh.

This kid may be a bad egg, but don't let it get you fearing and thinking that all black kids not dressed the same as white kids etc are like that. It's a prejudice too due to bad experiences with some of them. I've had bad experiences too but I realize that it's because those who I had to deal with had predispositions about me and not the other way around. You don't want to become what you hate and prejudiced people bring us all down. There are many people of assorted ethnic backgrounds that get along just fine because they learned to stop listening to others and also learned there are biased people and they are best to be grouped on their own. Who knows...maybe someday all the biased people that refuse to get along and want to run up excuses while trashing their own lives will just go off and combat each other so the rest of us can have some peace.

It is sad that you face that kind of criticism for dressing and acting how you want but you face adversity well. The stereotypes that people try to fit into, some also spew hate as the message for why it exists. In the end, as said above, I sometimes wear 'black peoples' clothes because they are comfortable and loose fitting but at the same time I tend to wear just a lot of T-shirts and baggy pants or sports stuff, and some goth punk. I also have suits and all. I'm half Apache and the other half is Caucasian and really I could care what people think about how I dress or what I do as it's not out to hurt anyone. I also agree with the statement you made that a lot of the kids claim stuff but in reality it's not happening. A lot of people brag or push others and then make big claims or threats. A few carry them out but in my experience, most are just windbags that push and try to spread fear to make a reputation and it's all hot air.

If they are ignored and you make adamant you will be yourself and be friends with who you want etc, these people lose power as others also say they are going to be who they are. Hate can be quelled by having acceptance and tolerance and just moving around them and spreading the word basically to others that you aren't like that. Hate is often 'justified' but in the end, the more others say it's stupid to be biased and closed minded, and the more we raise kids to have tolerance and see beyond clothes, fashion, monetary incomes and all, the better we will be. It's all pretty materialistic if you think about it and school tends to amplify that with the cliques and groups.

I do think that the next time the kid messes with you, Naruto, I'd just tell him to back off or just adamantly ignore him and try hard to not fear someone by dress, race, etc. It can be hard but as said, don't let yourself become prejudiced too. That person will either wake up or have a very crappy future. Others though are already awake and you might find a good friend sometime in someone of another ethnic group. Adults tend to be able to do that better than kids have a chance in some rough schools. I know a lot of people as I've been in college and it's almost like another world. People actually express their individuality more because people aren't there to always shoot them down for it.

8. lostheart Merlin's Housekeeper

Repliku leaves such looong replies...:)
    But he's right Naruto. I think you should show the kid some goodness and mercy, that kind of thing. Be nice to him even though he may be a jerk. That'll teach some important lessons that he may have missed while he was boasting about beating up.:satisfied:

9. Marlu[XI]a Destiny Islands Resident

All humans are different on a genetic level, but on a mental level we are all very similar. There are people who can cope fantastically, people who can barely manage, those who hold it in until it bursts, and those who snap uncontrollably.

I believe that from a very early age, children interacting with one another determines how they act around others for the rest of their life. No child is born 'dorky' or 'weird' or 'cool'. I think that when they see or hear things, they imitate them, or shield themselves fully. But as for the violence, the kids that can't cope, or are under too much stress to bear seem to be the ones who react with lethal action. But I'm no psychologist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.