Support Windows 8: Ubuntu/Elementary OS Dual Partition

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Plums, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Plums Wakanda Forever

Sooo, I've been considering doing a dual partition with Ubuntu/Elementary OS. I don't have a CD nor do I feel like I'm really too skilled with manually making a partition, so I decided to go with WUBI for Ubuntu since it's reliable and quick to install/uninstall.

However, I quickly discovered that didn't work, due to Windows 8 using UEFI instead of the BIOS, resulting in Ubuntu not loading up when I select it in start up (haven't tried Elementary yet).

Does anyone know how to go about installing it in the most safe way possible? I mean, I still haven't fully redownloaded all of my files in the cloud from my old computer, but I'd still rather not run a chance of messing this one up bad, lol. ;c

2. Mixt The dude that does the thing

The absolute safest would be a virtual machine, but this will cause it to run slow (since it has to go through Windows, the virtual machine program, and Linux for both input and output)

Other than that, the Ubuntu install disk can resize the Windows partition. However even though there is a low risk of failure, if a problem occurs while resizing the Windows boot partition, it could render the system unbootable. Though if you have the means to reinstall Windows this would only mean the loss of any data you haven't backed up.

3. Karuta Reborn

I recommend using dispart to create partitions. It's relatively simple to use and can boot off USB.
    Also don't worry about CDs, pretty much all GNU/Linux distros can boot from USB drives. Google "pen drive linux" for more info.