Support Windows Gadgets Not Working

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

When I logged into my computer, my weather gadget didn't automatically come up like it does; when I right click and choose Gadgets nothing happens.

Do these run on a server that could possibly be down?

Edit - 11:53 AM PST: It's working on my mom's computer, so I am not sure what the problem is.

Maybe it was down if my theory above was correct and started working again sometime before I turned on my mom's computer just now.

I guess I'll see if it works later or tomorrow. I don't really feel like restarting my computer.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Okay, it's working today. Not sure what was going on.

Please lock this. :)

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Thanks, Plums.

I take back my previous post. It's been on and off since I first posted this, and I'm not sure what the issue is.

Any help?

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

It hasn't worked once since I posted the above reply.

Any ideas, guys? :(

Edit - 9:01 AM (PST): Well, it's showing up again after I restarted my computer due to another minor issue.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Still don't know what's going on. It's been coming up more often than not now, but it still has some days, like today, where it doesn't, and restarting doesn't seem to have any effect. (When I had to restart my computer the other day because Mozilla Firefox scrolling was being laggy, I was afraid it wouldn't come up again, but it did.)

Maybe it does affect it. I don't know. When this first started, I tried restarting my computer about two times, and it didn't work, so I just gave up.

@Hansode Shiranui, you're a computer expert. Any ideas?

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Hmm ... I've never had this issue with Windows 7 gadgets before. (I'll not talk about my Vista experiences.) Perhaps your computer needs to be cleaned out or maybe it's an issue with the hardware. It could be a variety of things. I did a little digging in Google and came across this. It could be a possible solution. Without being able to physically look at your computer I'd pretty much be useless. Hopefully the fix mentioned there helps out. Before using the fix make a backup/restore just in case. It looks as though they were planning on implementing it in an update anyway. Do you have any updates pending?

-Shiranui

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

Just one important and two optional. In important, KB2858725.

Edit: My mom also has the weather gadget on her computer, as well as the calendar gadget, and this is not a problem on her computer, if that helps somehow.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  8. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Sounds like it might be a problem with your hardware then. You said you built the computer yourself / changed parts. It could also be a conflict with a software. Did this start after doing anything memorable like installing something?

-Shiranui

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

Nope. The day I made this thread is when it started happening, and the last time something was changed was way back last year, and that was a CPU fan that was going out.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  10. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

What about software? Did you change any settings or install a new program? Get rid of an old one? Anything that you might have done prior to this happening?

-Shiranui

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

Only things close to December 3, 2013 are a Skype update on December 2, 2013 and an update to AVG 2014 on November 26, 2013.

12. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Well if no reports have been made about issues with AVG 2014 or the most recent Skype update then it could be anything from a virus to a random system failure. Sometimes computers crash or files become corrupted. That's what it's sounding like to me. Download and install all updates and let me know if the issue persists within the next few days.

-Shiranui

13. Amaury Legendary Hero

I definitely don't think it's a virus, and I doubt it would be corruption if my computer's fine. I think it's solely to do with gadgets. Maybe my mom got that update you mentioned.

14. Amaury Legendary Hero

Issue is still here, and I've been up-to-date with updates for a while.

15. Amaury Legendary Hero

So today it decided to come up on my computer, and it was of course working on my mom's computer. However, when I turned my mom's computer on again just a few minutes ago to print out an application, her computer got hit with the same issue.

Edit: But when I turned hers on again just now because I forgot something, gadgets were once again working.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  16. Amaury Legendary Hero

Okay, installed five important Windows updates last night, and, ironically, it came up today after having three or two days in a row of it not coming up. Not sure if it's a coincidence, though, so I'll give it about a week.

Edit: It loaded today, January 17.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  17. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

If it keeps working then it was more than likely the update. Contrary to vast popular belief, updates can help out quite a bit. What you were experiencing may have been a "bug" and updates are the way to go in fixing these "bugs". Give it a few more days and see. Trial and error are the best ways to go about solving these things. Hopefully all is well and your gadgets don't give you anymore issues.

-Shiranui

18. Amaury Legendary Hero

Well, I spoke too soon...

And if WMM has problems tonight, it's either a strange coincidence or the two are linked.

Edit: Well, it loaded after I had to restart my computer to fix a small hiccup yesterday and it loaded when I turned on my computer this morning.

This is driving me nuts.

Edit: Loaded yesterday, January 20, and today, January 21.

Edit: Did not load yesterday, January 22, but it loaded today, January 23.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  19. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I have one theory and that's that your computer is completely junked up. Only thing I can think of is doing a fresh install after wiping the hard drive and increasing your RAM capacity. I've never had an issue with windows gadgets on 7.

To be honest this is gonna be about the only good advice to come your way. Sure others can try and walk you through different methods of this and that but if nothing has worked thus far it will likely be to no avail.

Best of luck.

-Shiranui

20. Amaury Legendary Hero

I don't see how this is junked up:
    Free Space.png

After I'm done rendering and uploading my walkthrough parts, for the most part, I delete the raw files (the ones before any editing is done), which take up the most space, as soon as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.