Support Solved Windows Movie Maker Import Error

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Jun 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

So I've got a lot of tracks with blank space -- meaning a track is 1:30 long, but the music actually ends at 1:02. I've finally started going around and fixing that in Windows Movie Maker, but there are a lot of tracks I'm not able to import because of some weird issue preventing them from being imported:

At first I thought it was the format, but most of my audio tracks are in MP3 format, except for some, such as the ones I've been fixing, which save as WMA, and most of the MP3s import fine.

There's one track I have to re-fix because I lost the fixed version, and I was able to import it fine before, but now I can't. The only difference between then and now is that then I had the Windows XP version of Windows Movie Maker, and now I have the Windows Vista version of Windows Movie Maker. I would have stayed with the Windows XP version, but after a Windows update, when I rendered videos, only the bottom half of the screen was showing and I had to get the Windows Vista version (if I recall correctly, I mentioned this before.) However, I don't see what different versions would have to do with the import errors.

Any help?

2. Mixt The dude that does the thing

For audio editing I would highly recommend Audacity over WMM. More stable and better quality preservation.

As for the import error. My research says that WMM doesn't like MP3 files that much. They are technically supported but some will inexplicably fail to load, or get cut off, or decompress wrong, or kick your dog. The "." in your file name probably doesn't help either, but I don't think it is programmed so badly to not be able to figure that one out.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm not sure where the .mp3 is coming from, as I don't have that in the names:

upload_2014-6-28_20-20-33.png

Also, over half of the tracks from another game all had blank space, so I just imported the entire soundtrack, and it imported just fine, and it was all MP3. (The audio waves WMM shows on each audio file really made it easy to fix everything.) But I can't do that with A Hero's Tail. I know you said it's picky, but still. However, I even tried re-downloading some in another format to test them, such as WMA, to no avail.

So, the different WMM versions wouldn't have an effect on that?

4. Mixt The dude that does the thing

The ".mp3" is in the file name. Windows just hides it from you so you don't change it on accident. It is how Windows and most programs know how to use the file. The reason I said the dot in the file name might be tripping up WMM is that it is what separates the filename from the extension. So WMM might be looking for a way to open a file named "1" in a " Title Screen.mp3" format. But far more likely is that it just can't figure out something like the sample rate. But if that is the problem we don't know what needs to be changed to make it work and you would need to download another program to make the change anyway, might as well just load up a program I can almost promise will work. (BTW audacity also shows waveforms)

Though the fact that you said WMA also isn't working is very strange. Problems with WMA or WAV audio in WMM is pretty rare. Can you get them to work in Windows Media Player?

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Yeah, they all work fine in Windows Media Player.

6. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Well since they use the same codec system that means that WMM can technically open them, but another phase of the import has tripped it up. But since that is all under the hood I really can't help you. My research just keeps popping up the same solution of using some program or another to convert to .WAV and import that into WMM.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

Oh, not a problem at all. Thanks for doing what you could.

It's not like it takes lot of energy to click the next button. Luckily, I don't have many tracks like that anymore. In fact, the Spyro: A Hero's Tail soundtrack folder is now the only folder with tracks that have blank space. I also have another Spyro: A Hero's Tail soundtrack folder without blank-spaced tracks, I just got this one back on January 14, 2014 because it was slightly better sound quality than the first one I got back on February 28, 2012.

8. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Again, Audacity can definitely tackle this project if you want. It's freeware and while it is designed to handle more complex jobs you could still do it in just a few clicks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.