Support Windows Movie Maker Issue

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Video is self-explanatory for the most part, but I'll outline the issue below the video:

Pay no attention to the black screen. That's just because of memory issues that come up temporarily when using Camstudio.

Issue Outline:
    When Publish Movie is clicked, Windows Movie Maker freezes
    From that point on, any time I right click on something, such as Start Task Manager because I need to close Windows Movie Maker, whatever I clicked on stays stuck on the screen and the only way to resolve it is to restart my computer. A temporary solution is to change my resolution to something and revert back to the resolution I had, but if I right click on something and select an option, such as Start Task Manager, it stays stuck again.

This isn't all the time, but it's been happening. From my observations, it happens the first time I use Windows Movie Maker that day. As in, when I turn off my computer tonight, when I turn it on and open Windows Movie Maker tomorrow, that'll be the first time I'm using it tomorrow. But, anyway, after that it's fine. The only annoying issue is an option staying stuck on the screen.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. Amaury Legendary Hero

3. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

It appears as though you have way too many programs up and running at the same time. For your amount of memory that is a major issue. Any time you have a computer trying to allocate a fair share of a small pie to a large group of programs, chaos ensues. Try getting rid of some of the programs that aren't necessary until you're able to increase your computers memory. I'd have to hazard that as a first guess. More than likely the problem isn't constant as it's based on what you do and do not have open and running at the time.

-Shiranui

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

But if it happens only sometimes, can it really be from that?

5. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Pretty much this. I recommend closing everything except for Movie Maker. That should most likely resolve the issue. Only open other programs once the video is fully published.

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Yes depending on where and how spread out your computer decides to allocate memory. Like @Roxam said, close everything else until you finish publishing the video. This way the memory movie maker needs can be allocated without any issues.

-Shiranui

7. Jin うごかないで

It might actually just be the fact you don't have enough RAM to render it, but it's been ages since I used movie maker, about 5 years or so I believe, I moved onto sony vegas very fast to be honest because I didn't like being limited to so little effects I guess, I'm not sure if you have this option but can't you change the output format? as in from AVI to WMV, WMV does have bad quality but it shouldn't be all that bad.

Check your RAM and so forth though I believe WMM Is really basic, Sony vegas relies on RAM for the final rendering.

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

I just can't believe it's a RAM issue.

I know I have crappy RAM, which I do plan to upgrade, but this was not an issue before I posted this with Windows Movie Maker 6, and I had crappy RAM before I posted this as well.

Something to note: It's only the Publish Movie button. The Import Media and AutoMovie buttons don't have this issue.

9. 61 No. B

Whenever I have a problem I can't explain or doesn't make sense the first thing I do is a system restore to the most recent restore point or the one before the problem started happening to see if that will clear up whatever issue. More often than not it does.

Also, did you try turning it off and on? Sounds basic but give it a shot if you haven't. It's always best to test the most basic solution in problem-solving first before you start overreacting or seeking solutions to something that might not even be a problem.

10. Jin うごかないで

This, System restore always works aslong as it restores to a point before the problem started. The recommended RAM for WMM is 1-2 which computers cover easily now as not many sell now without the ram being 4+

Maybe try uninstalling & Reinstalling instead or maybe upgrading to a newer version?

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'd rather not use System Restore.

I know I have crappy RAM, but that shouldn't be an issue. I have 2.00 GB of RAM, although only 1.75 GB is usable.

As for WMM, the newest version is Windows Live Movie Maker, and I hate it!

12. Jin うごかないで

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling then the same version but like the way you first had it, restoring the program to default settings I guess that's the last solution I can think of.

13. 61 No. B

Why? It only affects settings and changes, not your files. You have no reason to not do it, it's recommended by almost everyone when trying to find a solution.

14. Amaury Legendary Hero

I don't have any restore points except for today, anyway, which doesn't help at all.

15. Jin うごかないで

You must not have had the automatic restore point creator on, you should have restore points for everytime You update your computer or install or uninstall programs, has these few days made any difference in WMM?

16. Amaury Legendary Hero

Well, it cooperated with me yesterday and Friday.

17. Amaury Legendary Hero

So I've been trying something the last few days, and I haven't had any problems -- I don't know if it's just a coincidence, though.

After I'm done editing, instead of clicking Publish Movie, I click the button that puts it back to the beginning and wait about 10 seconds before clicking Publish Movie, and tonight's the third time it's cooperated with me. Like I said, though, I don't know if it's just a coincidence.

18. Jin うごかないで

Give it a few more nights to see if it keeps co-operating with you I guess, but I doubt it's coincidence if it's worked 3 times already now just stick to this method of publishing now, but have you tried using the method you used before to publish your videos after using this new method?

19. Amaury Legendary Hero

Nope. Guess not. Didn't cooperate with me earlier.

20. Amaury Legendary Hero

Okay, so tonight is the second night in a row that Windows Movie Maker has cooperated with me. I wonder if the Windows updates I received the other night, which I mentioned in the Windows gadgets thread, resolved the issue of it's just a coincidence? I guess, like with the Windows gadgets, I'll keep an eye on it for about a week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.