Writing Slump

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Laurence_Fox, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Some of you might have seen a few of my stories here on KHV. Maybe you remember my KHV stories about Metal Gear Solid or maybe you've read my Pirate Story. The point is that I enjoy writing.

Or I did until yesterday.

I moderate on a little website called Valenth and there is an ongoing story there which I enjoy. And it got me thinking to something. Both of the links in my signature lead to my work. One is a multi-fandom role play forum which I think died in October sometime. I kept posting Lore articles in the hope that something, something would spark life on it. Something to collect interest. I've advertised everywhere I could and nothing has happened. I had planned real time events that never saw fruition.

I had considered writing out the plot to this forum out in story format but at this point I'm not sure why I should. If the response to the forum was so lackluster what would the response to the story chapters be?

The other link is a tumblr where I post my original novel containing characters and a plot I've been developing for literal years. A novel I'm not sure I can continue because of the mere thought of writing has brought me to the verge of tears.

I'm always told that people enjoy my writing and they want me to write more. But I keep looking back at that forum and I keep thinking that it's something I did and that these people saying the nice things are lying to me.

I'm not sure what hurts more. The thought of my friends lying to me or the thought of finding writing, something I enjoy, to be depressing. It might seem like a paltry thing to have to post a Help With Life topic about but...I don't know anymore.

2. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I doubt that anyone has lied to you on whether or not your work is good. I think that if you enjoy writing then you shouldn't stop. If it pains you that much to write though, maybe taking a little break would help. If it's something you truly love though, something you enjoy from the bottom of your heart, then I wouldn't give it up. I'd find a way to bring back the inspiration, the will to write. The final decision is yours, just be true to yourself and you'll find the answer. Hope this helps.

3. 61 No. B

Whenever I experience problems like this with anything, be it lack of ideas, frustrating circumstances, or anything like that, I find it best to step away from the project or hobby entirely for a while. Take a break, prioritize, see if it's worth the frustration to continue. If you find that it is then persistence is key, work may seem pointless (sometimes it is) but the satisfaction of knowing that you have done something you love and are proud of can be motivation enough to continue until you get the response you're looking for.

4. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

You didn't do anything wrong, people just lost interest. It happens. You can't care about doing something wrong or making mistakes or how people will receive and react to your work, at least not too much. To quite the most ignorant writer who's work has ever penetrated my mind, Big GhostFase, "If you want to do great things you first gotta let go of all the ****s you give. Greatness will follow."

So don't give a ****, do what you love to do, take all those negative feelings of depression and what not and channel them into your work and give no second thought to it.