Your Mother Tongue

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by LARiA, Feb 3, 2012.

1. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

What is your mother tongue, and which other languages are you fluent in? Languages you wish to know?

English
    Spanish (very limited)
    Macedonian (very limited)

Exempt the two, I am a monoglot. Spanish and Macedonian are most probably not even worth a mention, when I said limited I meant limited. I am taking Spanish in school and making no efforts outside of it to learn, learning bits and pieces grudgingly-- rather important given where I live, but I've no interest in it personally. Macedonian is more of a language I wish to know, and by god there is no reason why I should not be fluent in it by now; I've plenty of means of learning, several books, my father speaks it fluently. I can only blame my laziness and Spanish, Spanish interference. Since Spanish is for a grade, I've not much time for Macedonian. A sad state of affairs. But on Macedonian, I've a very very limited vocab, and if given a passage to read I could stumble through pronunciation.

I've an interest in...

Czech
    Russian
    Esperanto <-- man-made language
    Finnish <-- or some other Nordic language

I'll get back to you when I learn all of the above. Right. I dream, she dreams...
    Mezzofanti is her inspiration.

2. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I only know English

I will likely learn Japanese at some point but I don't have the time for that right now

I'm interested in Hebrew, Greek, and Latin but I don't honestly think I care enough in those to invest in it.

3. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

If you want to be literal about it, Finnish, since it's my mothers first language. But I began speaking English almost the same time, and at the moment I use it a lot more frequently (and for some reason I always felt more comfortable writing and performing in English. Possibly because I speak Finnish with a heavy dialect/slang, and writing slang is extremely awkward to both writer, reader). I know a teensy bit of Swedish and French. Not enough to hold a conversation, but enough to introduce myself, order something or asking for directions, and my reading comprehension is surprisingly good. But when it comes to understanding, especially French, I'm horrendous.

I'd kinda want to learn Spanish, cause it would be very useful to know some of it since I'm living in the suburbs of Chicago now, and Serbo Croatian because of my heritage.

Oh, and LARIA, in case you didn't already know this Finnish is extremely different from other Nordic languages. It's actually closer to Hungarian (and superficially Estonian). I hate to betray my country, but Swedish probably would be the most 'useful' Nordic language to learn, since it's fairly close to Norwegian and Danish, and it's fairly widely spoken in Finland too. But if your just wanting to learn for fun, and you're up to a challenge, go with Finnish.

4. Maggy Gummi Ship Junkie

Well, my first language is Spanish. I'm fluent, obviously, in English as well as my "mother tongue". I'm working on learning Japanese which is so much easier when you are a Spanish speaker since the vowels are the same.

I'm also interested in French, Italian, and maybe Chinese...

5. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

I know. Swedish would perhaps be more useful, if I do choose to pick up a Nordic language in the future I am not quite sure which I would go with. A person I like speaks Finnish, a reason as feeble as that had me think Finnish. Oh well, I will not be even picking it up until very later on, if ever... little reason to think about it now.

6. Fearless A good and beautiful child

Mother Language
    English

I live in NY, what did you expect.

Known
    Japanese (Very limited)
    French (Very limited)

French was for school. It's been about three years, but I did manage to absorb some of it.
    Japanese I am currently learning independantly. Very very slowly.

Wanna know
    Norwegian
    Irish Gaelic

7. libregkd -

8. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Mother tongue:
    Norwegian.
    Fluent in:
    English, Swedish and (Partially Danish).
    I can't speak Spanish that well, but I understand it.
    Know some:
    Spanish.

Esperanto is an interesting language indeed. As a matter of fact, my grandfather still remembers a bit of what he was taught in school.

(I'm interested in Japanese, French and German.)

9. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Did he share any of it with you?

10. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

English.

My French is limited and getting worse.
    I know a few words in Chinese, Japanese and German.
    And I can speak gibberish with my brother.

11. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I know English and have been steadily picking up on German for the past few years. I can read it well enough to get the general idea. I know some phrases well enough to speak it.

Would I speak it to a native German speaker?
    **** no.

12. Llave Superless Moderator

My mother tongue is English. Sometimes I question whether or not it is, given how often I misuse words.

I know Spanish, I can hold a conversation, but I am starting to degrade from it unfortunately. I must watch those soap operas again. They talk faster than I thought was humanly possible.

I know a limited amount of Latin, French, German, and Japanese.

I really want to learn the languages above better, along with Greek, Italian, Gaelic, Chinese, Portuguese, Norwegian, pretty much every language I can.

13. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Hmm... If memory serves me right, he just remembered words. "Cat" is one I remember he told me, which he pronounced Gato/Kato.

And to the people wanting to learn Norwegian:
    Det er bare å spørre meg, så hjelper jeg gjerne.

14. libregkd -

15. Fearless A good and beautiful child

Something about if we ask you, you'd be willing to help?
    Idk, Google translator.

16. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Correct. I am very knowledgeable when it comes to the spoken Norwegian. The spoken Norwegian language has well over 500 dialects divided into a few large sections. I am capable of speaking them, and if you'd like a demonstration of the differences, I'd be glad to show (speak) them to you.

17. Llave Superless Moderator

Please do, I would be most interested in it good sir!

18. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

American.
    [​IMG]

19. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Come up with some lines for me to say, and I can demonstrate in a sound file. I may be able to get it done this weekend.

20. Fearless A good and beautiful child

Thisthisthisthisthiiiiiiiiiis