Ever think there was a deeper meaning to the kingdom hearts series?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by KeybladeMasterJoe, Sep 25, 2011.

1. KeybladeMasterJoe Merlin's Housekeeper

In my opinion I think there is, I mean I know its a great video game series to play and it has and excellence story line, but I feel like nomura had something else in mind for this game when he created it. Like maybe to show the bonds that you make in life with the people you know, or the choices between wrong and right, what you would do to keep the people that you care about safe, to show that no matter how far away your are you'll always have a bond with the people you meet.

Does anyone else agree?

2. nasirrich King's Apprentice

I'll end you on the spot so watch your six
    I do

Because if you look into the Final Mix series you can see the choices in the original one can differ changing your perspective on what you may want to do the next time the next game from the series comes out. There will be times where you may have some dark thoughts, but you always have to hold onto that one light. Or even be with people that will help bring your from a negative mind state can help you achieve a lot more in life.

3. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I can see what you mean, I think you could find quite a lot within a game like Kingdom hearts, to be honest you could find meaning in anything that may not have been intended. For example you could say that Winnie the Pooh is all about a boy who is lonely so has to make imaginary friends: Piglet= fear, Pooh=greed, Eeyore= depression, Tiger= hyperactive and Christopher Robin= Loneliness (source). You could say that there are so many deep problems buried in this harmless childrens classic but I highly doubt they were put there intentionally, just found by a fan.

However, that's not to say there isn't meaning- I do think it teaches us that the bond of friendship is important and I think it says that emotions are incredibly important- in the game those who do feel emotions experience most of them whilst those who don't just pretend yet it feels fake. It also raised the question in my head that if someone has no emotions does that give you the right to treat them horribly? Meaning is in everything though.

4. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

There is deep meaning throughout any somewhat intricate story. As Enzy already mentioned regarding Winnie the Pooh, there are deeper meanings (deeper than children would understand, but that they might subconciously pick up on). There will be reoccuring symbols meaning something.

Kingdom Hearts is no different, Keys, Hearts (Duh), The names usually have meaning (Sora) etc.

5. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

A good story teaches us something, about ourselves, others or the world around us.

KH is no different, but it is unique in that incorporates existing pieces of work (i.e. Disney Worlds, Disney Characters and their respective storylines) into its over arching narrative frame. By accumulating all the classic Disney plots of say Alice in Wonderland, or Beauty and the Beast, connections appear between the works, such as Alice's fear of never getting home and the fear of The Beast never finding someone to love him for who he is. Add in villians to catalyst these ideas, and add a group of heroes to combat the dark emotions and bring about hope and friendship, then yes, it was intentional.

Disney storys have always tried to keep a plot that tells us alot about our own 'hearts' and our connection with other poeple. Sora, Riku and Kairi are Disney characters in that respect, that they have time to develop and mature by learning about themselves and their friends.

I think it is a story that has no direction in mind by the writer, but that writer is still able to leave so many questions that you want to hear more about the story, so it's compelling if nothing else.

6. KeybladeMasterJoe Merlin's Housekeeper

Yeah, I get what you guys are saying. I think though that out of everything in my life that I just have a strong connection with kingdom hearts, I feel like I can learn from that more than anything else, y'know? It's just something about it that gets to me.

7. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I know exactly what you mean, I do feel a strong connection to this game as well. I feel that it has a deeper meaning with not just friendship but also things like how to never give up on friends and no matter what, it's other people who will get you through. I also just find such a strong connection to it because it reminds me so much of my childhood, I got KH2 when I was 12 and from that day on I just fell in love with it, it's a game that changed my life drastically (if I had never played it then I would never be here and I wouldn't know loads of people who mean so much to me). I don't know why I enjoyed it so much, maybe because the Disney aspect of it also took me back to childhood. I can't really figure out a true deeper meaning but to me I see the importance of friendship, the true meaning of protecting others and putting them before you.

8. KeybladeMasterJoe Merlin's Housekeeper

I feel the same exact way, damn kinda surprised someone feels the same way as i do about this game. does it ever make you feel nostalgic to the point it makes your stomach feel weird cause it does that to me alot too its kinda weird but it always happens when i play it

9. Chevalier Crystal Princess

_Moved

To the Kingdom Hearts section. As it seems to be more fitting.

10. rikusorakairiown Destiny Islands Resident

Are you forgetting this is a squeenix/DISNEY game aimed at CHILDREN?

and (modern) disney is hardly known for its allegory, and children are hardly known for knowing what the hell allegory is, nevermind recognizing it

11. Llave Superless Moderator

I think there is some sort of meaning underneath. Every story needs to have subliminal messages if they are to really have a good story. It gives the characters more depth, and makes things more real.

For instance, Sora proclaiming that his friends are his power. We can relate to that, thus, it makes it more meaningful. I think such things can influence children, whether they know it consciously or not, there is some sort of impact there. So yes, there is a deeper meaning to Kingdom Hearts then just killing heartless and collecting keyblades.

12. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

Yup, every story have their meaning.

The game always says, friendship is important, you're strong with friend, friends are the true power, light is always there, "there is always a way", Light and Darkness are two ways, you can choose them...

Many of those things, it's a game made for the children, so they try teach good things in the game. :3

13. rikusorakairiown Destiny Islands Resident

What the hell is the meaning behind Chip's Challenge?

14. Maggy Gummi Ship Junkie

I agree with what you guys have said so far. Kingdom Hearts is more than just a regular game...it easily teaches lessons about life and people.

Yup.

15. Rhiscx Banned

I agree with this, and I believe I have found biblical references within the game as well. (mainly in BBS)

I myself am very spiritual, so the whole concept of friends and love being a power is very deep and moving to me.

16. Maggy Gummi Ship Junkie

Yeah, I kinda noticed that too...but it just gives more depth to an already deep concept/meaning/story, which is fantastic.

17. ChaosAquaris Moogle Assistant

Finding deeper meaning in games is the true reason for gaming in the first place and kingdom hearts was the final product i feel. kingdom hearts starts off basically with a deeper meaning, the ability of choice and to not fear that choice as long as it's yours alone. In every game like this you always find yourself choosing one character that best symbolizes you. My one and only choice is Riku. My fight in life is exactly the same as his as i too am fighting my inner darkness. Riku finds his way out of darkness and learns to conquer it. He's my inspiration to keep fighting i guess.

18. 61 No. B

It's obviously about relationships, but I wouldn't consider that a deeper meaning, since it's one of the central elements of the series.

If there is a deeper meaning I would say it is to value your friends and those important to you, because anything can happen to them.

I would say that's about as deep as it gets.

19. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

KH is all about deeper meanings, sometimes i guess it gets too deep that almost ruins it.
    I first started to play KH games only to play as/with donald my favorite disney character.. all the plot just made me want it more, than they showed the deeper truths behind it, and even disney cartoons are like that so is a Meta language that keeps spiraling out making it always greater.. not to mention all the Xehanort's saga duality.

20. rikusorakairiown Destiny Islands Resident

No I don't think there's a deeper meaning to the kingdom hearts series at all, it's full of needlessly shoehorned in characters and fanservice and stupid side games in order to make the story needlessly complex. It has gotten to the point where they can do whatever the **** they want with it, make up some bullshit reason about sora's heart and then everyone thinks it some 2DEEP4U literary masterpiece when in actual fact it's a ****ing mess. Not only that but they've completely **** all over the lore of KH1, instead favouring blatant fanservice "lol axel or lea or whatever the **** gets a keyblade now because reasons", "lol pointless game that does nothing to the plot but shows you a terribly written fanfic about roxas, axel, and a new mary sue character whose existance changes the lore of the series in no way whatsoever". KH1 was the defining game of my childhood, it was THE game for me, and that one guy who actually bought and beat both parts of the original Chain of Memories when it came out? That was me. I remember when KH2 came out I loved it, and Christhor kept warning me this was what was going to happen,but I didn't believe him, I didn't think for a second they'd even consider bastardizing the frachise and milking it for pointless games, shitting all over the lore like they have. I used to be a huge, HUGE ****ing KH fan. Now I just hope it dies quickly before they can ruin it any more.