Object sexuality

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by FuzzyBlueLights, Oct 27, 2011.

1. FuzzyBlueLights Traverse Town Homebody

Object sexuality or objectum sexuality, in German objektophil (OS), is a pronounced emotional and often romantic desire towards developing significant relationships with particular inanimate objects. Those individuals with this expressed preference may feel strong feelings of attraction, love, and commitment to certain items or structures of their fixation. For some, sexual or even close emotional relationships with humans are incomprehensible. Object-sexual individuals also often believe in animism, and sense reciprocation based on the belief that objects have souls, intelligence, feelings, and are able to communicate. Contrary to sexual fetishism, the object to an OS person is viewed as their partner and not as a means to an end to enhance a human sexual relationship.

So KHVians, my question to you is, what is your take on a human being falling in 'love' with an inanimate object, such as a car, or building, or graffiti wall?

Myself? I don't care/mind. They aren't hurting anyone and with so many people on the Earth who are so terrible, I see no reason to raise a fuss about a man making out with his Mustang.

2. smeen Destiny Islands Resident

Well, if the person's happy, why should I oblige? It might sound a bit strange to fall in love with an object, but it doesn't sound too harmful. There are quite some other forms of love that I consider far more strange or terrible (like pedophilia). Just think of them as people with a large imagination. Or people who see the beauty in everyday things. Love is colourblind, isn't it? So falling in love with an object should be a part of it too. Sounds perfectly fine to me.

3. Glen Returned from the dead

Well i must admit if i saw someone making love to an inanimate object as i walked down the street, i'd be creeped out a lot. Not necessarily because it's "wrong", but purely because it's just different. That's my view on this. It isn't wrong, it's just different to how most people are. Nothing wrong with it.

but if they even think about touching my laptop their head is mine

4. Rhiscx Banned

I myself am a strong advocate to the idea that, "Love comes in different forms". If it doesn't bother the society's way of life, I don't see an issue. Plus, the Earth being so overpopulated, I don't think it hurts if some people find love in an object rather than another person and continue to overpopulate the planet.

5. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

...Well one meaning of that is illegal so maybe that wasn't the best example :L

Anyway. Obviously I can't identify. I don't see what's so romantic about objects. They don't talk. Can't express their feelings if they have them. You never know what they're thinking. Seems like a very difficult and one-sided relationship to me. I mean, how do you even know if the wardrobe loves you back? Can a mailbox give consent?

But just because I don't understand it doesn't mean I can't accept it. Might strike me as odd but it don't bother me none.

6. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I don't see that as healthy at all, to be honest.
    Sure, to each their own and whatnot, but, like Sforzato said, it seems very one-sided. I just don't think it's something that should be encouraged.

What if they want to get married to their car?

7. smeen Destiny Islands Resident

Considering there are people married to video game characters and body pillows, I guess in some countries you might be able to marry your car. I don't think that's quite... Normal... But it happens. And it makes people happy too.

8. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

But would that marriage (or the others) be legally recognized? Is the person going to actually be considered a married person?

9. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

@Webhead & Sforzato

Yeah, it's one-sided. The object can't react, or express, or anything. But it's what makes them happy, it's how they love, they don't necessarily need regular interaction.

Anyway. It may be a tad creepy, but you can't object to love, (unless it's illegal.) Meh. Let them be happy in their own way, for if they're in love with a mailbox, they're in love with a mailbox. You can't stop them. I say that there is nothing wrong at all, despite the fact I may not really understand it.

10. smeen Destiny Islands Resident

Those marriages were legal, yes. If they weren't they would've been good examples, right?

11. Saxima [screams geometrically]

I'm not one to judge people, everyone falls in love, maybe it's just not with a human. To be Frank (I like being him sometimes), I don't see a strong sexual attachment to something as being very healthy, such as body pillows and etc . . . Emotional attachment is very different, there is an object that I feel I'm bonded to very strongly, maybe not to the point to where I'm in love with it, but I do love it.

To be in love with something inanimate, such as a car or yes, a body pillow, just . . . isn't normal, and not healthy, but really, who am I to judge?

12. Princess Celestia Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

the capital M implies it was the car. I doubt he meant the animal.

I agree with Webhead. it is not healthy. I wil not stop them. But I believe somthing is emotionally flawed with them. Perhaps some psychological counseling will help uncover their feelings towards the objects true meaning. I doubt they have any logical reason to believe the object loves them. I don't think the problem is their relationship with the object, but rather, the problem is why the individual needs to have a relationship with n inanimate object.

13. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

@Celestia, What gives you the right to call something different a flaw?
    Though it may not be the norm, or what could be understood as strange, does not make it a flaw. So they love an object. People love all sorts of things. Some of it has, perhaps rightfully been deemed illegal due to abuse, but it is still sexuality. Pedophilia, or bestiality, they both are wrong, simply due to society and basic understanding of what humans are "meant" to do. I am not saying I object to them being illegal, it is abusive in practically all cases.
    Yet. It is something animal, they were born with it. As you are not attracted to objects, you cannot safely call it a flaw. You may need, like most humans and animals, interaction. But perhaps these people do not.
    I don't know. Maybe it's different and strange. But it isn't really a flaw with them as a human, for that is how they were made, it is what they require. What they love.

14. Krowley Moderator

My view:
    As long as they aren't hurting themselves or anyone else, I don't see much problem with it. There have been weirder things on the internet.
    However, If they start groping their object and/or start looking at it seductively, then I feel awkward and just let turn around. I'd say get a room, but who knows what he might try with the Hotel furniture.

Seperate thought:
    So... Would the guy from Japan who married the video game character Nene be an example of Object sexuality?
    Because she's on a video game and such.

15. Jayn

That kind of thing has always been strange to me. I wouldn't ever outrage about it, or protest against that lifestyle but...I've never really understood it. I feel like that's their life and I can't judge that. If I suddenly developed feelings for my lamp or something I wouldn't want anyone coming at me like I was a freak or something was mentally wrong with me. I suppose I would just feel even more isolated from everyone else if I were judged in that way. If you've never experienced it, I really doubt you could ever really understand it. So the least you can do is show compassion and tolerance for someone who does have these feelings for whatever reason.

I mean...That's their business. As long as they're not hurting anyone or humping a car in a public place and being a disturbance or something, I don't think anyone has the right to judge, bro. There are other things mentioned earlier by Britishism; like bestiality and pedophilia that we should be worrying about. Who really has the time to care about someone having dinner with an inanimate object not bothering anyone when there are children being raped?

16. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

^ This

Basically, as long as it isn't hurting anyone, sure. I mean, I'd think it's a little weird, but everything out of the norm is weird. Lust/Love is Lust/Love.
    I mean, dendrophilia is weird, but hey, if you wanna do a tree, go ahead. (I think dendrophilia is the right term)

Yes, it would be. (Unless it has an Artificial Intelligence, then again, it's still artificial)

17. miaulement Traverse Town Homebody

I do admit, that DOES sound a bit creepy. Just imagine someone literally falling in love with their computer or something. Making out with a street light pole... dancing on it.

As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, I guess.

18. FuzzyBlueLights Traverse Town Homebody

So many opinions. It makes me happy. And yes, the capital M implies that I meant the vehicle, Mustang. Thank you Celest for clearing that up.

Just a bit of info: Erika Eiffel, whose name derives from her marriage to the Eiffel Tower in 2007, has been featured as a spokesperson in a variety of international articles, radio talk shows, and television programs and documentaries worldwide.

From my understanding, she's like the spokesman for people with object sexuality. Also from my understanding from researching this subject a bit, there appears to be no want or need to satisfy their sexual urges with the object they love. People with Object Sexuality just love and feel loved by these objects. No humping attached.

"Contrary to sexual fetishism, the object to an OS person is viewed as their partner and not as a means to an end to enhance a human sexual relationship."

19. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

my dearest pockie~

Leave me alone. Don't you dare judge me and me pockie. She dutifully ticks the time off, loyal she is. Not once made a single mistake. I would entrust my life to her, smart missy she is. I know that she'll always be by my side, in me pocket. And she came from the cold war AND back!! She be a veteran alright.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. May Kitsune Destiny Islands Resident

I really don't believe that it is possible to feel that way with something that doesn't move, can't move and we KNOW doesn't have life or a soul or can speak... I think it's all just for attention... People when they put something into their head they believe it is real and start believing it just as an actor and his or her role in whatever play or movie. Sometimes even at their own homes with family members good actors stay in role even after the film is done producing. It's just like in the crucible.... The group of girls all were all pretending to have seen the spirits of people in their dreams to not be punished or hung and one of them fainted while in the group. But as she was in court testifying the judge asked for her to faint at that time but said she simply couldn't because she wasn't in character or the situation to faint. She had also said that she thought she saw spirits and the devil but it was all imagination and fear put all together.

I went too much into it but I seriously think it's a hoax to get attention. Like I said though, once you are acting through it it becomes a reality in your head and you believe it is true and in the end it's all a mind game.