Wizard of Oz conspiracy- The hanging Munchkin

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Ienzo, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

My friend recently told me about this horror story during the time Wizard of Oz was filmed back in 1939. The story (I've heard different versions though) was that the people who were playing the Munchkins got treated very badly and one of them was in love with somone eho he couldn't get so decided to commit suicide on set. This can apparently be seen in one of the scenes as he hangs in the background off a prop tree. So upon donig some research into it I found the two sides of the argument- some say it was a bird while others believe it to be true.

I found the scene and it did indeed look like a bird, until I looked for the original VHS scene which was unedited, there is indeed something hanging.

Here we have the original VHS version (possibly edited by the video creator?):
    [video=youtube;P8YVeMwhDNI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8YVeMwhDNI[/video]
    And here we have the remastered DVD version (with no sound for some reason):
    [video=youtube;SU32MewCung]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU32MewCung&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

I don't really know what to think as it really creeped me out, I find both sides of the story quite convincing. Thoughts?

2. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Well, one thing is for sure: the thing in the background of the DVD was not what was in the background of the VHS version.

I've heard about this a few years ago, and I've seen it in the original black and white version. To me, it does look like someone did decide to hang them self. However, I've read through sources (such as Snopes, a site that cracks urban legends) that it isn't a munchkin. Personally, I think that someone did commit suicide and the movie studio doesn't want their film to be remembered only because of that particular scene.

3. Llave Superless Moderator

I think it was a munchkin actor (Gonna call him MA), I just don't see it as a bird... maybe in the DVD version, they omitted the MA and i saw a bird looking up then bobbing down.

I've heard of this as well and i never really bothered to check it out. (so great opportunity now...) Really creepy.

My only question is: Why didn't they see him? they were facing right at him! If it were me i would've run over to try to save MA if it were still possible... They could always redo the scene...

4. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Well, so many things are going on when you are shooting a movie.There's lighting, blocking, camera movements, and a whole bunch of other stuff. It is possible that he wasn't noticed and nobody thought of it back then. The way that the original was shot, it could have made it difficult for someone to notice when they saw the film.

5. Llave Superless Moderator

I think the legit original wasn't in color, i don't remember when they would've made it in color, im pretty sure they didn't use color till the 60s but i could be wrong. But that would make sense, the actors were prolly focused on the skipping and singing, and when you see the original, it would all be in black and white.

Hahaa wasn't thinking hard enough, but that would make sense why nobody noticed MA.

6. Aura Goddess

I've heard of this before and thought it was rather...odd. I didn't really believe it but now. I never saw a video but now that I did...all I can really say is holy ****. <<

It's very creepy. The DVD version didn't really look like a bird to me. Looked more like...I don't know. Not a bird and not a muchkin either. Just something. The body looked like it was swaying so that only creeped me out more.

Tummer has a point about why they might have not noticed him, but I still think that at least someone must have at least seen him during the recording. I really don't know, but it's clearly not a bird. >>

7. Rhiscx Banned

Worst possible case: They did see him, and they went on a risk hoping no one would see him. And nobody did for over 20 years. Like the two Kairi glitch in BBS, your eyes just weren't focused on that spot. A Sad thought, but not unlikely.

8. Princess Rapunzel Flower, gleam and glow

I did some looking on Wikipedia and it said it was a bird for the scene. But I didn't believe that, though whatever it may be in the background, I can't watch this movie the same way again.

9. 61 No. B

When i read it my theory was that someone had noticed something unusual and fabricated an intriguing story to go along with it, however now that i see it i believe the story.

10. libregkd -

11. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

It certainly looks a heck of a lot more like what the conspirators claim than the bird prop theory. In fact, it doesn't look like it can be anything else. I mean... whatever it is, it swings back and forth, oh my word. ;~; But the real problem with this is that it I think it'd be so incredibly unlikely — near impossible, even — that someone wouldn't notice it at some point during in production. The actors walk down the road facing that direction. No one sees it? Really? Or were the little people in the film treated so poorly that no one really cared? The latter is my worst fear.

I did know that the actors who played the munchkins were not fairly treated, but this...
    The Wizard of Oz is one of my favourite films of all time. And I still love it and the story, but this just taints it, whether it's true or not.

12. Pezz Kingdom Keeper

The creepiest part about it is that they just kept singing their song and walked by it like there was nothing wrong.

13. Princess Celestia Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

Actually... it appears as if Scarecrow sees it and falls back in fright before being picked up and carried along, all in tune with the music. But its funny "choreography."

I does apear to swing, but is definatly not the bird in teh dvd version. Interesting, I've always been a skeptic, but it seems like a coverup now.

Edit: In the original one... it probably isn't a body, it extends about 2 ft to the right of where the rope is. Its not a body. But it definatly was changed.

14. Jayn

Either way, that's extremely creepy. Fake/misunderstanding or not. The even slightest chance that it could be a body creeps me out. :c I feel physically sick now, lol. I don't know why they would have let that go by unnoticed though. I mean, it was DEFINITELY changed. There's no doubt about it. And if it wasn't a body, or something disturbing, why change it at all?

When did this theory even come about, originally? I can understand them changing it if the theory erupted a long time ago and they just didn't want it to be associated with that scene. Either way. Creeeeepy.

15. Princess Celestia Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

Its fake...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_9vGZ5_nZc&feature=related

VHS copy listed above. The one in the original video posted by Ienzo is edited by a sick ******* trying to make you believe its a conspiracy. Goodnight.

16. Jayn

Well I figured that, simply because on a movie set there are several people and if no one saw it then derp on that entire film crew. But it still creeps me out. The whole story, set up and the fact that you can see it as a hanging person. Along with the fact that old movies freak me out in general. Just, wow. Conspiracy theories have a much larger effect on me than actual 'scary' stories do, lol.

This video amused me, though and made the sick feeling go away, so thank you for that.

17. FuzzyBlueLights Traverse Town Homebody

I know a classic I'm never watching again.

18. Arch Mana Knight

People are still saying that's not the original unedited version. << There's a video of the guy putting the tape in and playing the movie that has the "hanging" scene. Though a lot of things seem to point to the fact that it might be an altered video to begin with. >> I'm gonna do some research to try and nail this thing in as fake...I really don't believe something like this would make it into any version of the film.

19. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I would like to believe it's edited by the man who posted the video as well. People's main problem is the fact that they didn't notice him, back in those days they usually only had one shot to film a scene and it would cost a lot of money, so if it were true then they probably couldn't react to it as it would cost the film company millions to reshoot. Well, that's what someone told me.

20. Droid Hollow Bastion Committee

Although it's a gruesome thought, you have valid point. Allot of older movies have really weird screw ups you wouldn't find in movies nowadays, I believe this must have to do with what it costs to reshoot or re animate scenes years ago. I hope that isn't the case, but if it is indeed true that would be their only logical reason.

(regardless of if it's true or not, the sawing made me sick....)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.